Does your Shkval slew around uncontrollably? Report here. The “Crazy Shkval" Problem

Speed

Yes I have found pressing the <>:? keys has always fixed this problem.

I always have the both analogue and digital Shkavl command mapped to my joystick.

I wish the Shkavl was as controllable as the A10-C TGP but the code seems completely outdated/different

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue happens to me as well. I can't figure out how to reproduce it consistently.

But essentially I slew the shkval, I might make a cyclic adjustment then the shkval will go start to slew (it usually slews down and to the right, sometimes it will slew to the left).

This will occur when I have ground stabilize the shkval but not locked on to a target.

It doesn't matter if the laser is on or off.

Doesn't matter if turn to target is on.

Doesn't matter if moving target it on.

Sometimes, I will have a lock on the target, make a adjustment to center the lock and the shkval will slew away automatically.

I cannot flight the slew action, I can only neutralize it, but as soon as I let go, it continues to slew.

The only thing that I've found that works (other than weapons reset), is if I press ground stabilize again.

I will try and make a track of this happening.

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

• 2 months later...

Hey,

suffering this bug as well sometimes, hard to trigger, random etc..

Logitech 2.4GHz Freedom stick...if this matters at all using HOLD-RCTRL+Coolie hat on said stick

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

I have an X52 and im getting slew to the right suddenly and its constant. not the joystick.. it does it even without the x52 plugged in. and I tried it with no profile... still does it... thought it was a sticky keyboard button... nope even without kb plugged in it still slews right. I can make it stop for a second but yeah it keeps going. and its only to the right so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Or keep the target centered manually, fiddly, but works quite OK.

Works fine if your vertical speed is zero. But fiddly it is, true that...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

It used to work great, but now where the distance setting can randomly change to a very small value after the laser stops firing, its an exercise in frustration.

• 2 months later...

This happened to me tonight in the latest 1.2.8 beta. I was trying to lockup a convoy coming straight at me, the Shkval decided to slew right with no input from myself. Tried to slew it left but it was like someone was holding the slew right key in. Had to hit the cockpit reset button to stop it.

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Could it be, that angular velocity plays a role in here? Did the helo turn while you were trying to slew the Shkval to the opposite direction?

What I mean is, if the helo turns, like 10 deg. per second to the right, the stabilization of the Shkval turns the sensor 10 deg. per sec. to the left to keep it stable. Now you try to slew the Shkval with 10 deg. per sec to the left, too (so, total of 20 deg per sec) ... but if now the max. slew speed were i.e. 15 deg. per sec, you could only slew it with 5 (additional) deg. per sec.

Or if the max. slew speed were 10 deg. per sec, too, you would even be unable to move it into that direction - albeit the other direction would be without problem.

edit:

while thinking about it, perhaps it is even possible, that diagonal movement of the helo could have a similar effect on the stabilization of the Shkval. If the helo moves sideways or diagonal, the picture the Shkval sees, "moves" (also) horizontally ... similar as if the helo would be turning. What do you guys think?

Edited by Flagrum

i know if the laser is on and you move it, it can screw up, but sometimes it screws up when it isnt on, and sometimes it completely screws up when you are guiding vikhrs (at night mostly) and it shouldnt be doing that, as it isnt reading range when its in guidance mode, it also seems to go weird in a higher frequency on old missions that have been re saved a lot of times.

The only time my helicopter turned was when the Shkval slewed right. I was in a stable hover with Auto-turn-to-target enabled. Which made it more frustrating.

To try to correct it, I had to hit reset, enabled HMS, track target again and try lase again, no success on numerous times, so I stopped gaming.

Edited by DAZnBLAST

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Same! Same and again same!

I want to say "please stop finding excuse", but I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug and what kind a bug. Because no any ED authority said anything about this.

I want to declare my thing again: I realized that my "crazy" slewing was caused by Saitek (X52Pro) software. I don't remember how I realized it. Shkval slew functions are assigned to 7 (left), 8 (up), 9 (right) and 5 (down) keys in my config. In SST software silver hat 8-way commands assigned to these numbers. That's how I can slew Shkval diagonally.

Sometimes Shkval starts to slew right or left like crazy. It doesn't help if I hit hat in opposite way. If I only hit 7,8,9 or 5 keys on keyboard, Shkval stops!!!

Whatever. Since this bug exists (by SST or DCS), I haven't play Ka-50 that frequently like older days (months).

Edited by Devrim

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

...and you can slew Shkval diagonally?

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

...and you can slew Shkval diagonally?

you cant the shkval only uses a 4way hat.

well, you can but not on the x52s joystick hats only the hotas hat, can.

Edited by karambiatos

I'm confused in this page about diagonal movement of Shkval.

Please warn me if I repeat around myself.

We can assign X52's hat commands in DCS's Options/Controls directly. Unfortunately, with this way we can't slew diagonally, right? But we can with keyboard key presses!

So, I have to use SST software to gain to move 8-way.

Are we clear so far, or am I on wrong lane? :)

...A X52/X52Pro is easy to do without any external Software directly in the DCS Key and Buttons Setup.
What is easy to do without ext. software? Slewing diagonal? How?

...well, you can but not on the x52s joystick hats only the hotas hat, can.
I'm so sorry, I think I'm hardly understand this line. :)

Thanks guys.

you have a 4 way POV hat on your throttle, if you set it to an 8 way hat in the SST you can move the shkval diagonally.

but you cannot get the joysticks POVs to act as 4way hats (im guessing they are actual 8way hats) so the shkval wont move diagonally even if you set it as a 4way hat in the SST software.

itd be great if ED made the shkval support an 8way hat, the same pretty much goes for any targeting pod and the TDCs in any plane.

but all of this has nothing to do with the actual issues of the shkval which are attributed to the range meter going to 0, after lasing or when shooting a vikhr and moving the shkval a bit.

but all of this has nothing to do with the actual issues of the shkval which are attributed to the range meter going to 0, after lasing or when shooting a vikhr and moving the shkval a bit.

This Proplem also doesnt come up for me.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Again : You can easy use the HMS for that wink.gif
Actually, that's not the main point. Using HMS in very narrow field is not easy and handy. There's no guarantee that you can move Shkval cam to next tank by HMS system easily and especially in very short time!

I want to move cam to up-right way for a few meters. If you can do it with HMS system in very high precisely, very nice for you. :)

Ok, whatever. I'll try to make it without SST, but unless ED add new Skval camera functions for joystick hats, I don't think it can be done. I'll be back. :)

I finally managed to recreate it, to some extent, its only when you are below 30m and your shooting, perhaps at a bit of an incline, after the vikhr's fired, you move the shkval to adjust aim, and it goes to 0 meters, then you shot is trashed, but the interesting is, that in BS1, i cannot recreate it, the shkval does go to 0 but immediately resets to the set distance, so that you can keep guiding your missile, and it happens only when you are below 10m or so.

Another issue is, how can the system not know if its looking up or down? You could easily program so you know if your system is looking up or down, especially since the shkvals slant is already read by the system of the ka-50, for the distance calculations when the laser isn't working.

In case for some reason you couldn't program that in, wouldn't you make it so that the distance calculation turns off after a vikhr is fired, so that pilots don't end up wasting missiles?

Here's the track newest beta

Skval Test.trk