Does your Shkval slew around uncontrollably? Report here. The “Crazy Shkval" Problem

Speed

I'll try to reproduce the bug and instantly record a video.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't consider saving a track because the mission I flew was almost 2 hours ... last target... well you know what happened. I figured the track would have been way too long even to FF it all the way to just the last minute.

That said, I do wish to apologize for my temperament last night when I posted my frustrations.

It was probably a bit more descriptive than it needed to be. It's just so discouraging, especially when I have been practicing so hard just to be able to complete a mission (which I have only done twice successfully).

SnowTiger:joystick:

PS> I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement or not, but it seems to me that this more commonly happens when there is only one target left or only a few left or the last target in a group of targets (not sure if that is significant or not or just my luck).

Also, this is always when I have Turn to Target and Moving Target turned on. Hope this helps.

I might be talking rubbish now but on my end this only happens, as I found out for my crazy shkval or what I call so, that it ONLY happens when I am tracking a mobile/moving target, the faster the target the faster the shkval keeps moving after the target is destroyed and out of Memory. Kind of also happens when the target gets obscured by buildings and the Skhval keeps

tracking the anticipated path.

This might be completely a different movement of the Skhval and not what you search, but maybe they are kind of related.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

what I actually wanted to say, if you have problems reproducing it, try with moving and FAST moving ground objects and see if that triggers it.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

No need for a video - i know the problem well - I've just not been able to recreate it in a short track for the Team to examine.

Nate

I haven't run it in a while, but Dragon's 'Attack on Krymsk' mission always (and I do mean always) exhibited this shkval problem in the Ka-50. You may want to try it and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I agree, I believe the problem only exists if you lose lock on an object and the next closest track is outside range. I think the best way to reproduce it would be to place moving targets at a military crest, then terrain mask the laser to lose lock.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• 4 weeks later...

How has this still not been corrected? Also, the "AI won't fire cannon"-bug. Kind of essential that your AI Wingmen can use the cannon... Have anyone heard anything about this? No ETA? Even an acknowledgement from the devs about these issues?

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

How has this still not been corrected? Also, the "AI won't fire cannon"-bug. Kind of essential that your AI Wingmen can use the cannon... Have anyone heard anything about this? No ETA? Even an acknowledgement from the devs about these issues?

Because it is still not exactly clear what the issue exactly is - or if it is an issue at all. So far nobody could even provide a .TRK that shows the issue or could provide directions of how to replicate it reliably ...

The AI being too dense to actually fire the cannon in the Ka-50 and Mi-24 (and others?) is actually fixed (with 1.2.11, iirc). Or is it a different issue with the wingman you're talking about?

Because it is still not exactly clear what the issue exactly is - or if it is an issue at all. So far nobody could even provide a .TRK that shows the issue or could provide directions of how to replicate it reliably ...

The AI being too dense to actually fire the cannon in the Ka-50 and Mi-24 (and others?) is actually fixed (with 1.2.11, iirc). Or is it a different issue with the wingman you're talking about?

Ah I see. Well, the AI not using the cannon has really been a poke in my eye. Good to know. Funny that this (imho) gamebreaking bug (well campaign wise) is not mentioned in the 1.2.11 changelog...

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 1 month later...
IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE REPORT WHAT KIND OF JOYSTICK YOU HAVE, AND WHAT HAT SWITCH YOU HAVE SHKVAL SLEW BOUND TO!

This problem has been around since Black Shark 1. There have been many suggestions, but to my knowledge, no one has ever gotten to the root of the problem. See this post, as an example: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76825&highlight=crazy+shkval

THE PROBLEM:

Personally, since Black Shark 1, I, and several others in my squad, have occasionally (or often) experienced the problem of the Shkval slewing uncontrollably. I have now experienced it a handful of times in Black Shark 2. However, I’m lucky; last night, one of my squad mates was reduced from a very competent pilot to a swearing, screaming wreck, after every single time he was about to destroy some target, his Shkval would just randomly go “crazy Ivan”, and go slewing off to oblivion. I must say, if I know me, I would have probably been in the same state as he was had it happened to me. The problem is INCREDIBLY annoying.

After this experience, I’d like to try to get to the root of this problem and figure out WTF is going on. First, a detailed description of the problem:

The problem is often occurs like this:

You are in the middle of slewing your Shkval around when suddenly, it will start slewing, AT MAXIMUM SLEW SPEED, off in some random direction. In a matter of seconds, it will reach the Shkval field of regard (FOR) limits, and often, after hitting the field limits, continue slewing along the edge of the FOR. It is almost as if a slew command is stuck. Sometimes, it may switch directions- BUT I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS. I certainly think I remember seeing the Shkval switch directions it was slewing, but it could be a false memory- luckily, I do not experience this problem very often.

----------------SNIPPED---------------------------------

Anyway, MY Shkval slew switch and HOTAS:

Saitek X65F

Shkval slew: Hat switch underneath the thumb on the stick, the main hat switch ("POV Hat 1"? I forget what Saitek calls it).

I don't really use the mini-stick for anything, but I occasionally accidentally touch it.

I have seen this issue before. It has not reoccurred since I setup my CH Products Pro Throttle Mini-Stick as Bob Church recommends in my post, Message #40 here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=136453&page=4

I do not use the Ka-50's Shkval auto-slew and I always fire my Vikhrs using the auto weapons system control switch set to manual. I never have found the Shkval auto-slew to be very reliable for finding enemy targets. Ditto with it set on auto fire. My Shkval works great at night, no problem at all; I can see fine in pitch black, the Shkval has adjustable contrast and brightness knobs that rotate. I locate and fire from a dead-still hover, usually just a hair above a ridge.

I usually play on one of the Multi-Player servers, rarely in Single Player.

I first came to DCS when the A-10C was just coming out of its beta. 6 months later I started sim flying the Ka-50.

So, the solution to your problem is to purchase a CH Products Pro Throttle and use its CH Control Manager setup as Bob Church recommends. {;^)

Take care.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I haven't run it in a while, but Dragon's 'Attack on Krymsk' mission always (and I do mean always) exhibited this shkval problem in the Ka-50. You may want to try it and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I did try out this mission as a test.

This link, Message #1:

==============

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71655&highlight=Attack+Krymsk

DRAGONs_AttackOnKrymsk_V81.miz (out of the .zip file)

In my own Multiplayer session I played for 2 hours with no issue. It works fine for me flying the Ka-50 .

I will try and find this mission playing on the STP server and play it to see if I get the same outcome.

Thanks.

Take care

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the deal, you can tell 1-2 sec before EVERY crazy shkval. Because if you lock a target at say 6 km, after 1-2 sec the range will jump down to e.g. 1.3 km, and it starts to move, often down+left. Range in TV drops down EVERY time. And to my knowledge, you can't set the range meter to a axis or slider. So NO it is NOT related to hardware. It's a software bug, and it's annoying as hell.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

• 4 months later...

I still have this problem and it annoys me greatly. When it starts happening for the first time in a mission, I can be sure that it will happen very often from that point on.

But since I don't fly without mods and the tracks are not viable for bug reports (5 hours MP missions…), I guess I can't help.

• 1 month later...

It's not a bug, its a feature. When the shkval is uncaged the first time, it'll respond to your inputs and stay where you point it. Once you uncage it again, it'll begin scanning on its own using the setting you set it to on your right hand panel, below the PVI-800 and above the signal flare column I believe.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• 4 weeks later...

Usually, when my shkval goes crazy, it's not because of the shkval itself but because of the telemetry which becomes crazy giving me distance of 1 km for example for a target which is 10 km away. So the Shkval tries to compensate the helicopter moving like if the target was just in front of me... And so it becomes crazy.

Honestly, for me after hours and hours it became a part of gameplay, just like if the Shkval system wasn't always very accurate. And as far as I noticed it by low luminosity and low angle from the ground, it may be normal.

Nicolas

I wonder if this issue will ever be addressed ?

I actually stopped flying the BlackShark just because this issue drives me nuts.

It's often hard enough to stay alive while dealing with the enemy during the heat of battle, without the Shkval going all wonky !!

This has gotten me killed many times (too many times).

So as much as I love the Ka-50, I just don't enjoy it when it keeps getting me killed for things that "I" am not doing. It's bad enough my own silly mistakes get me killed without this adding this gasoline to the fire. ~!!