Nose gear failures .

badger66

Ive had 4 of these in the last week . Always on take off . I also have the failure option switched to off .

I disengage the nose steering at 60 kts , and rotate at 125 kts around , with 7 degrees of flap .

2 times the gear wouldnt retract so I had to go around and land . 1 time the gear collapsed , and last night the thing broke off at about 80 kts !!! :megalol:

Any ideas please ?

Gremlins!:smilewink:

Actually, it is a known, but hard to pin down, bug.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Happens to me a lot.

I notice this the most when you stress the wheel when taxiing.

If you take a corner a bit faster than you should, or if you forget to engage your nose wheel steering as you throttle up, and you have your foot down on the rudder, and engage it, making the gear snap to the side, it will do some crazy stuff.

Though there are times where I do everything properly while taxiing, and nose wheel will still snap off, or my right wheel will stay down and won't retract.

I believe there are a few threads that describe that in certain airfields there are invisible bumps on the ground that damage the gear. I have run into those, one airfield is famous for having that on a turn from a taxiway to the runway, and as you are turning it sounds like you just hit a curb.

But... I honestly have no idea aside from that.

Badger I have noticed that when I have gear issues it has to do with fast taxi and turning. Normally I will hear a load crunch sound and when I take off one of the gear would fail to retract.

Also as RalFi said it could be the airfield. What airfield were you at?

There's things you can do that might mitigate it, but it's not really caused by anything realistic - there's a few bugs with high-speed on the ground, you'll hit a dodgy terrain block or something and there goes your nose.

There's a few airfields that almost always cause it, I think Batumi is one of them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Badger I have noticed that when I have gear issues it has to do with fast taxi and turning. Normally I will hear a load crunch sound and when I take off one of the gear would fail to retract.

Also as RalFi said it could be the airfield. What airfield were you at?

Nalchik .....

Just to confirm Revelation "forward" pressure? Not pull back, to take the weight of the nose? That seems counter intuitive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Pushing back onthe stick before reaching rotation speed wont do that much, it will not lift the nose up, and will cause you to sorta bounce, because it wants to lift, but you are not traveling fast enough for it to pull up, so it will go up a bit (but not off the ground), then back down, repeat.

Instead I think what he is saying is that if you push on it to keep the nose on the ground, until you reach rotation speed of 120 ~ knots then rotate, you will keep the nose stable.

Unless I went wrong somewhere, but that makes sense to me.

Pushing back onthe stick before reaching rotation speed wont do that much, it will not lift the nose up, and will cause you to sorta bounce, because it wants to lift, but you are not traveling fast enough for it to pull up, so it will go up a bit (but not off the ground), then back down, repeat.

Instead I think what he is saying is that if you push on it to keep the nose on the ground, until you reach rotation speed of 120 ~ knots then rotate, you will keep the nose stable.

Unless I went wrong somewhere, but that makes sense to me.

Ah. I see what you mean. I've been pulling back with the idea of taking the weight off. I'll give it a try.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 1 month later...

Someone needs to get a repair crew out to Beslan and fix those potholes. I've occasionally had nose gear failure on takeoffs, but this was the first time while landing. It happened during my roll out as I was decelerating using only airbrakes. At 80 kts my nose bounced and next thing I know I'm skidding along on my gun. I was slightly left of centerline, the nose wheel was firmly on the ground and NS steering was not enabled when it happened.

Happens to me occasionally as well, but seemingly only when I'm heavy and the wind is strong and turbulent. No problems when the weather is good and the plane lightly loaded however...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.