TM Warthod Throttle slider as Zoom Flickers

Has anyone else noticed that if you use the throttle tension slider as a Zoom control that the view flickers slightly back and forth? Mine does and I wonder if this is a common trait.

Its really annoying and I think I may need to find some other way to control zoom unless anyone knows of a fix.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

I think that pot doesn't hold position very well. Not sure if tuning the axis would help or not, haven't tried.

Mine has a very tiny bit of jitter in some spots as well (using it for rudder in the Mustang at the moment). Most likely the problem is just a bad spot or oxide buildup on the carbon surface inside the pot. I suspect they did not bother spending a lot on that potentiometer. The bottom line is there is going to be little you can do about it without cleaning or replacing the pot.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks Mack.

Nice to know its not just me.

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

Same here, the only sim I can use it for zoom is ROF because they have an option for "smoothing" which gets rid of the jittering. I think I already asked in the wish list for a smoothing option before but can't remember for sure. Smoothing also helps with crummy rudder pedals like the ones for the G940....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Sorry to hear about this issue.

A good workaround for jitter at the Zomm-axis is this:

Zoom-jitter.jpg

When you copy this setting you will have five bands at your slider that will bring you to one of this five zoom-percentages instantly without a smooth transition, but it is immune against a jitter in the axis-readout.

This 5 settings can also be tweaked when you use the saturation sliders, if none of them brings you to your wished zoom-level you use most.

I personally prefer the variant of the one-press method that switches on/off my gun-sight, explained here: paperclip.gif Zoom-In/Zomm-Out on PAC1 to make your life easier !

as you will have more benefit if you have a axis left for aircraft-functions in the P-51D instead for zoom-view.

I get jittering if the background LED brightness is set to anything else than off or full brightness. I recall there were some complaints that this started happening with the latest firmware but TM doesn't seem to care to fix it.

To get rid of issues like this you will have to open the throttle and find the wires to the potentiometers and clip on ferrite-shielding on them.

ferrite-core-for-cable-499857.jpg

This may work - I solved similar things with this fix. But it really depends on the internal wiring - and may be a try'n'error procedure.

Edited by PeterP

Are we talking about the throttle tension slider switch on the thumb side of the throttle? I didnt know that thing served a purpose...

The grey lever, yes, it is a slider axis on the Warthog.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The hell does it do??

Whatever you want to use it for, in A-10 I don't believe I use it at all. I prefer zoom on buttons so that reset is instant.

I get it and can't use it for zoom, I now just use it as a brake axis, thats all its good for - or something else not zooming.

Same here, brake axis fits well on the slider, since it's not used so often. My zoom is mapped on the MIC hat forward-aft for easy reach during HOTAS action.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]