Who's Designating Targets?

Started playing a campaign in the Su-25T recently and noticed that targets seem to be designated for me with a little green diamond in the HUD. This makes things so much easier when compared to the Ka-50 where I must constantly scan with the Shkval to find something to shoot, and even then don't know if it's friendly. Is this a realistic representation of the two aircraft. Who's designating these targets so efficiently?

Also, I was trying to find out what certain payload items were. One thing I couldn't find despite a search of the Su-25T PDF was the MPS-410. Also, I see the 'E' key turns on ECM. But there's also no mention of this in the manual (at least I searched 'ECM') and it came back with nothing. Do i need to fit this externally and is there any indication in cockpit that it's functioning? Thanks.

Edited by martinistripes

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

These diamonds are not "designated for you". These are radar emitters like radar guided SAM units or search and EW radars. If you equip an ELINT pod on the center station of your SU-25T and activate it (I), it will pick up those emissions and display them on your HUD as diamonds with a designation of the target type. That way, you can lock them up and fire anti-radiation missiles at these targets. This mission type is called SEAD :)

All other types of targets will not show up in your hud (IR SAMs, Tanks, buildings, etc.)

Edited by St3v3f

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, totally forgot about the second part of your question ;)

The MPS-410 pods are loaded onto your outermost stations. They are ECM pods, like the ALQ-131 on the A-10.

If you load up the MPS-410s and press E, you will see a green light on your right side in the pit start to blink and become steady after a couple of seconds. That indicates that the pods are active and once the light is steady, they are at full power.

Essentially, they try to protect you from radar SAMs.

There is something similar for IR SAMs built in (no pods needed). Press LShift + E and a light on the left front of your plane will indicate it's active.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know how to fly SEAD thanks. But I'm sure those diamonds were appearing over targets of all types, including trucks, APCs and tanks. And I wasn't in passive mode ('I' key). Those diamonds are appearing without the Fantasmagoria, for example when I'm using Vikhrs with the optical system.

Thanks for the other answers. Would be nice if they could add the utility pods to the in-game encyclopedia along with the weapons. Strange there's no mention of the MPS-410 in the flight manual.

Edited by martinistripes

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

From memory, it is supposedly your wingman (or is it ground troops?) designating targets (not sure how) if you take away the wing-man the diamonds will disappear (i think). there is a detailed thread about it somewhere.

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

Who's designating these targets so efficiently?

Your Wingman.

Here's a quick how-to guide:

1 - Open the mission you want to add targeting coordinates to in the mission editor, select your wingman aircraft and select waypoint closest to the group of targets you wish him to designate.

2 - Once waypoint selected, click the 'Add' tab in Advanced Waypoint Properties.

3 - Select the 'Perform task' function and further select the 'Attack Group' function, keeping in mind to choose the specific group you wish wingman to target as well as the weapons you want him to employ.

4 - Confirm target designation/command with the Red Triangle that appears on the Vehicle Group so selected.

5 - Save mission and Fly.

6 - Targets will be designated with a Green Diamond in your/Player HUD only once your Wingman actually spots the Ground Units (distance/time depending on skill level set).

See following screenshot for setup:

4qrZq.png

Edited by 159th_Viper
  • Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Can you do that in Multiplayer for other pilots too?

Probably not as you cannot have two client aircraft in the same group/flight.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

This is from the LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2 Manual -

8-2: The MPS-410 "Omul" Active ECM Pod

The MPS-410 "Omul" ECM is design to counter modern and prospective threats, and is currently at the prototype stage of development.

The Su-25T and Su-25TM aircraft further include a flashing "Sukhogruz" IR jammer mounted at the base of the tail fin above the engine exhausts, to confuse the tracking of conical-scan infrared homing (IRH) missile seekers. This equipment can be activated during a mission by pressing [LShift-E].