Win8 Compatibility

EDIT = @HiJack: I think the 'good price' update is not going over 01 january 13. check for yourself if it does apply to your country too.

I’m in the business so the price on Windows 8 doesn’t matter, I’ll have it for free. But the question here is whether a user in this DCS community can compare his working windows 7 installation to a working windows 8 installation on the same computer. The answer is simply NO! Not without reinstalling windows 7, apply service packs and patches and then run all the performance testing. This is the same fix as the smartphone compare, newly installed it’s smooth as silk, used it’s more slow and sluggish.

Jack

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to be fair, could image the OS and get similar use-states through that. But that's a lot of work and does require that you go and buy it in order to find out if you should buy it... Which is sort of backwards IMO. :P

Hence the utility of wading through a couple reviews and benchmarks and evaluating the usecases displayed in those towards one's own usage pattern to see whether it's worth it.

And to be honest, the price differences isn't a big deal. Doing the OS install dance is, in hours, way larger than that difference, so might as well do it when an OS install is needed anyhow IMO. (ie, new computer.)

Though I do wonder what I would have decided had I been reminded about the Win8 release BEFORE installing Win7 on my new SSD. I might actually have purchased it then. Skeptical, but I might. (My windows is OEM, so cannot be transferred, and since I am still undecided on whether I'll replace this machine in the coming spring...)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, I haven't argued against that they have improved things.

What I have argued against is whether they have improved things enough to make it worth a transition (especially as an early adopter with all the associated risks). Personally, the temporary discount isn't worth it since in my usercase there's pretty much nothing that is improved that actually impacts me - the only thing would appear to be web browsing. I'm gratified that the bootup improvements were real though, and if I hadn't recently switched to an SSD that might actually have sold me on it. But as is... no.

But whenever I do end up getting a new system, it'll probably have Windows 8 on it. As for when that happens... I usually kept to a 2 year cycle, but I suspect this Sandy system will be able to stay in service for a while longer than "normal". That means it will probably slot in perfectly for Win8 SP1 and mean I make the transition when the OS has received the necessary polish. (Same thing happened with Vista, bought a system around SP1 when things were set straight, and same back with XP (which was a DISASTER before it's first SP). )

I certainly understand your perspective and respect your intelligence. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I get right in there and test. My advantage in this business is getting to know the products I sell and support intimately well before my customers first experience them. This gives me a sense of urgency to install, test, and problem solve under any new OS well ahead of and then into RTM.. What I post about Windows 8 is my experience in this endeavor through multiple installs on multiple hardware platforms, all manner of driver and software installation and the very little trouble I have had with it in comparison to previous Operating Systems. And yes I loved Windows 7. The strongest endorsement I can give Windows 8 is my complete and total willingness to leave Windows 7 behind for it. Even though the unfamiliarity of its Metro screen and charms bar at first turned me off I am glad I kept with it as I came to really like this new OS. I believe that it will be well recieved.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

Yea, lets spend the saved time in air in stead! Se you all online in FC2 tonight :D

Jack

FC2? Meh...

:music_whistling:

Reminds me though, I still have stuff to install. Sigh...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

As an I/T pro I am asked all the time if folks should upgrade to WIN8... Here is my take on the WIN8 question...

1) Is WIN8 better than WIN7... YES.. It outperforms WIN7 more often that it falls down and is a solid performer for nearly any use.

2) Should I UPGRADE from WIN7 to WIN8... My opinion is NO.. My reasoning for this is that WIN7 is a solid OS with no real issues, solid drivers and excellent compatibility. WIN8 is brand new and as such will suffer some from driver availability, compatibility with older programs etc... MY OPINION is that WIN8 does not offer enough better performance to warrant an upgrade

I will mention that WIN8 IS the current OS and as such will be installed on pretty much anything you buy and that is OK too.. I just wouldn't UPGRADE to it at this point...

EDITED: And just for the record, this is only if you are looking for TECHNICAL reasons to upgrade.. If you just want to upgrade because you want the latest and greatest go for it! That is a completely different consideration and the only caution I would say is what I mentioned about old app compatibility and drivers...

Edited by outlawal2
Because

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

As an I/T pro I am asked all the time if folks should upgrade to WIN8... Here is my take on the WIN8 question...

1) Is WIN8 better than WIN7... YES.. It outperforms WIN7 more often that it falls down and is a solid performer for nearly any use.

2) Should I UPGRADE from WIN7 to WIN8... My opinion is NO.. My reasoning for this is that WIN7 is a solid OS with no real issues, solid drivers and excellent compatibility. WIN8 is brand new and as such will suffer some from driver availability, compatibility with older programs etc... MY OPINION is that WIN8 does not offer enough better performance to warrant an upgrade

I will mention that WIN8 IS the current OS and as such will be installed on pretty much anything you buy and that is OK too.. I just wouldn't UPGRADE to it at this point...

Totally agree. And my hope is that Windows 8 will keep on getting better for the PC as time goes by, driver support and stuff, same as with Windows 7.

Jack

EDITED: And just for the record, this is only if you are looking for TECHNICAL reasons to upgrade.. If you just want to upgrade because you want the latest and greatest go for it! That is a completely different consideration and the only caution I would say is what I mentioned about old app compatibility and drivers...

:thumbup:

That is very true from a non-techno-geek (ie me) perspective. It's like telling me that Yes Sir by all means you can carry on nibbling on your bowl of peanuts. You will remain healthy, content and otherwise satisfied. Oh by the way Sir, never mind Bob in the room next door with his bowl of strawberries and cream.......He too will remain healthy, content and otherwise satisfied as will you with your bowl of peanuts.

Now me? I'm a strawberries and cream dude all the way and after sampling my first berry I'll never partake in another peanut again:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yes I do agree here. As a rule I don't like upgrades from one OS to another. At the least it is untidy and at worst it can be sloppy.

Clean install is always best.

Out

And THAT sir... Is a huge UNDERSTATEMENT...

I ALWAYS clean install everything... And one thing I will stress to folks about Microsoft and their UPGRADES is that when you upgrade the new OS will look at the serial number from the old OS and determine if it is acceptable to upgrade and this is fine and dandy...

Here is the ominous part... Once it decides that it is legitimate to upgrade it will then UNREGISTER the old serial number rendering it useless... So if you decide that you want to load your old OS such as XP or WIN7 again you cannot because the serial is now dead.

So if you don't like WIN8 and want to go back to your original WIN7 for example you can't... So choose wisely...

RAMBO

Yes I do agree here. As a rule I don't like upgrades from one OS to another. At the least it is untidy and at worst it can be sloppy.

Clean install is always best.

Out

Absolutely agree. Upgrading an OS all to frequently leads to headaches that would not have come up on a clean install. I have actually never done an upgrade, just fixed the results on other peoples machines. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Right there you sound like the wizard from OZ :D

When I worked in IT many of the other employees thought we were. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

And THAT sir... Is a huge UNDERSTATEMENT...

I ALWAYS clean install everything... And one thing I will stress to folks about Microsoft and their UPGRADES is that when you upgrade the new OS will look at the serial number from the old OS and determine if it is acceptable to upgrade and this is fine and dandy...

Here is the ominous part... Once it decides that it is legitimate to upgrade it will then UNREGISTER the old serial number rendering it useless... So if you decide that you want to load your old OS such as XP or WIN7 again you cannot because the serial is now dead.

So if you don't like WIN8 and want to go back to your original WIN7 for example you can't... So choose wisely...

I didn't mind "unregistering" my old Win XP sticker that I haven't used for 6 years. For me it was the perfect deal but I agree what previous posters said, if you have Win7 license, there's really not much incentive to upgrade right away BUT the promotion is so darn good and we all know Win8 will replace Win7 at some point. Everyone to his/her own I guess.:)

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

I didn't mind "unregistering" my old Win XP sticker that I haven't used for 6 years. For me it was the perfect deal but I agree what previous posters said, if you have Win7 license, there's really not much incentive to upgrade right away BUT the promotion is so darn good and we all know Win8 will replace Win7 at some point. Everyone to his/her own I guess.:)

Absolutely! Everyone is entitled to whatever decision works for them... I was simply stating a few facts and letting folks know what the upgrade process does in the background so everyone can make an INFORMED decision... I absolutely HATE those kinds of surprises.. :thumbup:

RAMBO

If you by any chanse is on some other operating system other than Windows 7 64 bit please upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit or use the great offer from Microsoft to grab Windows 8 64 bit. Just make sure you grab the 64 bit version!!!

This is of course a recomendation for all you Linux dudes ;) But you may find yourself paying a bit more for the upgrade.

Jack

If you by any chanse is on some other operating system other than Windows 7 64 bit please upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit or use the great offer from Microsoft to grab Windows 8 64 bit. Just make sure you grab the 64 bit version!!!

This is of course a recomendation for all you Linux dudes ;) But you may find yourself paying a bit more for the upgrade.

Jack

No way... I have it from Wolfie that LINUX is on the rise and in a few years Microsoft will be out of business and DCS and all other games will be running 20 times better on Linux... ;)

Just check out Wolfie's thread LINUX ON THE RISE...

It must be true so I am wondering why hasn't DCS announced the Linux version in development? :P

RAMBO

Well, to be fair, Linux is on the rise.

It's been on a slow, steady, relentless rise for 20 years. Just not the kind of rise Wolfie expects. And tbh, who would have thought, 10 years ago, that the way Linux would break through into mainstream would be as the leading consumer cell phone OS? :D

(If I remember right, Linux has approx 1% of the desktop user share. But if we collate all web users, including mobile/tablet and thereby Android, it goes up to 4%. So you are approximately three times more likely to serve a "regular joe" with his tablet or cell phone than a "hardcore" Linux user on his computer. Needs to be remembered when considering marketing for Linux and gauging the competitiveness of Windows 8 vs Linux.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Earlier today I finally took the step and upgraded my 6 yr old laptop to Win8 x86. Pretty solid overall, and maybe i'll be quicker with the interface in a few days/weeks, but to those using the OS since launch last week, do you really find yourselves working more quickly or efficiently?

The apps are great and super quick, but I feel like the simple task of browsing webpages and multi-tasking (not to mention going back and forth w/ the Metro style and the classic desktop) might slow me down.

And compability looks great thus far, minus one major application that I use almost on a daily basis, Daemon Tools, which they have a "Pro" version available for Win8 and a trial, but no "Lite/Free" version which is not good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

Really not bothered about Win8.

As for Daemon Tools, why don't you use power iso?

Gave up on Daemon tools years ago when it started installing loads of stuff I didn't want.

PowerISO did everything Daemon tools once did for me.

Isn't it working with Win8? Why is DT so important?

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

Really not bothered about Win8.

As for Daemon Tools, why don't you use power iso?

Gave up on Daemon tools years ago when it started installing loads of stuff I didn't want.

PowerISO did everything Daemon tools once did for me.

Isn't it working with Win8? Why is DT so important?

I primarily use PowerIso to create images, and prefer Daemon to emulate them as it's a smaller/quicker UI and something I've used for ages, whereas PowerIso I've just started using in the last few years. Realistically yes, I guess I could just give up DT and go with PowerIso on Win8. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Old System Specs:

CPU: AMD Pnehom II x6 1090T

MOBO: Asus M4A88TD-V

GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

HDD: Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K3000 2TB

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Monitor: Gateway FHD2400 24" (1920x1200)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Extras:

LG WH10LS30 BD Burner

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Sharkoon SR 5.1 Surround Headset

Thrustmaster T1600 Joystick

The apps are great and super quick, but I feel like the simple task of browsing webpages and multi-tasking (not to mention going back and forth w/ the Metro style and the classic desktop) might slow me down.

Tried Classic Shell yet?

It's either/or for me, dependent on the mood. With classic shell you do not need to touch Metro at all if you are on desktop and visa versa. As said, with classic shell it's like 7 on shrooms.....much better.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

If your running 2-3 monitors, metro makes sense on the desktop. Once you get your apps setup with the live tiles the old desktop feels..............static.......dead..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals