OK, Just for the record, learning to fly...

MatzWarhog

...Is SO MUCH more easy than learning to LAND! I've killed more trees, banks of dirt, buildings, vehicles... you name it! It's quite ironic actually. At first, I just lined up, dropped the speed, flared a bit, set it down in about the right spot, and taxied. Now that I'm concentrating on the technical aspects of navigating, speed, AOA, etc... I've been burned up, torn in half, slid sideways to a stop... and probably the most interesting so far, is that I set my A-10C down way short of the runway over water, nose up enough, and slow enough not to break up, and then sank!!!! Did you know that the Sim has underwater noises too??? Well, neither did I!! :lol: My altitude was -325 before I hit ESC! (and NO, I wasn't over the Dead Sea!) :megalol: Sounded like I was playing Silent Hunter 5!!

More tutorials, more videos, more reading, and lots more flying... I'll get back to Earth in one piece soon enough. I'm quite stubborn, and not one to give up!! But man... I'm gonna owe the taxpayers a fortune before I get this part down!!! :P

Matz

BTW, does anyone know of a good "Touch-n-Go" practice mission??

AMD FX8350 @ 4.2Ghz x 8, Asus M5A99FX Pro UEFI Board, 16Gb RAM @1600Mhz, EVGA GTX660 2Gb DDR5, 120Gig Corsair SSD SATA3 Boot Drive, Dual Corsair SSD FORCE 60Gig for gaming, TM Warthog HOTAS and Cougars, Saitek Proflight Pedals, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, and WAY Too much time on my hands. :pilotfly:

Strangely enough I just did the landing training mission, first try I landed next to the runway, without problems though and second time actually landed on the runway and was able to taxi off and get to the "shutting the plane down" part.

And right after that I just had the urge to tell someone (sorry for hijacking your thread btw ^^) that I actually landed the plane without it blowing up.

It's been a long time since had such a sense of accomplishment in a computer game!

I have been doing the ramp start training mission, once it is up and running I just go ahead and take off, fly around a little, then land on the runway. I have gotten pretty good at it - but obviously not doing it according to procedure - I need to move on to the landing training and see how bad I really am lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have been doing the ramp start training mission, wants it is up and running I just go ahead and take off, fly around a little, then land on the runway. I have gotten pretty good at it - but obviously not doing it according to procedure - I need to move on to the landing training and see how bad I really am lol.

Prepare to eat the weeds like the rest of us :megalol: I wish i had taken note of how many planes I have written off lol

Best Regards

Nigel

AKA Rubberduck

My Dad- Always check for paper before sitting down....:music_whistling:

Win7 64bBit,Intel® Core i7x4-3820 (3.6GHz), ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79, INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID COOLING

16GB DDR3 2400MHz, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 680 4GB, 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK

BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES, AeroCool Touch 2000 LCD Touch Screen 4 Fan Controller

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio, Hotas WH, Saitek Pro-Flight Pedals & Cougar MFD's

Try flying a few hundred feet with flaps and landing gear down for a while. Vary your speed including as low as possible while keeping flying. After an hour doing that you should do much better.

Also a big mistake people make is turning on the wheel steering too soon.

You should leave it off until you are around 60 knots or so. (When taking off I turn off wheel steering at 55).

The good thing is that once you get the hang of it you shouln't have much problem with any other sim in the future (except for large commercial :music_whistling:)

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

I've practiced quite a bit, got a lot better, and I switch on NWS when at 50 when landing and 55 like you when taking off.

Best Regards

Nigel

AKA Rubberduck

My Dad- Always check for paper before sitting down....:music_whistling:

Win7 64bBit,Intel® Core i7x4-3820 (3.6GHz), ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79, INTEL CERTIFIED LIQUID COOLING

16GB DDR3 2400MHz, NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 680 4GB, 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK

BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES, AeroCool Touch 2000 LCD Touch Screen 4 Fan Controller

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio, Hotas WH, Saitek Pro-Flight Pedals & Cougar MFD's

The good thing is that once you get the hang of it you shouln't have much problem with any other sim in the future (except for large commercial :music_whistling:)

Hmm, have you tried the KA-50 yet? I found the A-10C quite relaxing after having flown (and landed) the Shark for about a year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Note I said Sim, Not Egg Beater :pilotfly:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

As a long time online flier, I can say that no matter how great your in air performance, it still all comes together upon landing...when your buddies are watching you land you had better have your stuff wired tight.

Landing the Hawg I find easier though than the FBMS '16, the A10C can come weight on wheels harder and is more forgiving.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Mower is right! The falcon was in the beginning tricky to land and with it i learned to land the right way.

the falcon manual have really good instructions for this.

(just google for falcon 4.9 manual)

in few words: you start at 200 knots; 2000ft AGL; 10nm to rw;

wenn u come closer point your flightpath marker at the beginning of the rw. keep your AOA under 4°.

this make life much easier when u keep in that corridor :-)

good luck matz :)

landing.JPG.7ab2d9addcf13b14612a3c9ca0e4a253.JPG

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

Update! I came to the conclusion that there were too many "unkown/unsure" of's in the tutorial, and just trying to divert to "Runway 'XYZ'" in Free Flight. So, in order to eliminate some of the brain clutter, I decided there was no better time than the present to investigate the ME! (Mission Editor... rather than the Medical Examiner, that I've been visiting after my many failed landings!)

I set up a simple (no wind or other other weather varibles... I can add those later) Flight Plan. A "Take Off From" Senaki at High Noon, to a random point, pretty much straight ahead WNW, out over the water. Allowed plenty of distance to get to 7500ft and set up the radio and ILS in that first leg. I then created two waypoints over the water to get me headed in the proximity of a line up with Batumi, and then marked a landing waypoint at Batumi. I set that last waypoint over the water to 5000ft, about 40 miles out, so I would be in the "ballpark" when contacting Batumi for a "Request Landing", and followed the ATC from there. :music_walkman:

By far, the best touchdown I've made yet! :clap: Landed on the donut, right on the skid marks on the runway, throttled all the way back, stayed dead center, engaged nose wheel steering at 50 knots, and braked and taxied right into the parking area!! :D

Now I'll be able to practice "Start Up", "Take-off", "Basic Navigation" and finally "LANDING" (visual, ILS, TACAN etc). And as I get more proficient, I'll add in some weather, change the time of day, add a crosswind, do circular approaches etc!! Senaki and Batumi might grow quite tired of "Hawg 1-1", but too bad, "Deal With It!!" :rotflmao: Then, I can set up a different, yet similar Mission, taking off and landing at different bases!! That will also help acquaint me with the region!! :thumbup:

This will afford me the ability to carve the first four major steps of flying my A-10C into my memory! (And that's no easy task on my end! Hehehehe). So, for those of you in my same shoes, I recommend giving this a try at the locations of your choice! ME is quite user friendly, and (as I've now discovered) can be a great way to create a custom learning tool!!!

Cya in the Skies!!

Matz

AMD FX8350 @ 4.2Ghz x 8, Asus M5A99FX Pro UEFI Board, 16Gb RAM @1600Mhz, EVGA GTX660 2Gb DDR5, 120Gig Corsair SSD SATA3 Boot Drive, Dual Corsair SSD FORCE 60Gig for gaming, TM Warthog HOTAS and Cougars, Saitek Proflight Pedals, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, and WAY Too much time on my hands. :pilotfly:

Thanks for the many pointers guys!! My goal is to have my landings "wired tight" as Mower put it! Best way I can see to do that, is practice, practice, practice. What a great bunch here!! Thanks again... we're making forward progress now!!

Matz

You should have tried to eject! :D

Cookie... I forgot my SCBA gear and periscope when I loaded out!! :lol:

Sounds like a good plan though, I thought about using that free-flight mission already in the game for the same purpose.

I went ahead and made a mission where I ramp start at Senaki-Kolkhi which has some friendlies on the ground so I can rearm/such. Then I put clusters of targets of all shapes and sizes on the map, so I have waypoints for each, i.e. 1/SOFT TARGS, 2/TANKS, 3/AAA, 4/SAMS. That way I can take off, potentially practice attack runs or threat avoidance, and then practice landings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

congratz dude!!!!

sounds perfect!

Working well for me so far... I see the training aspects of the ME being unlimited for myself!! Hope this is helpful for others!! ME is really cool!!

I just got this mental image of "Hawg 1-1" "...NO! not this time, hell no! find another place to land!"

Now that would be funny ^^

Sounds like a good plan though, I thought about using that free-flight mission already in the game for the same purpose.

Yep, same ATC voice as the tutorial, LOL "Hawg 1-1"!! :ranting: I've been waiting for him to ask "Hawg 1-1... what is your major malfunction son?!?!?" :megalol:

I went ahead and made a mission where I ramp start at Senaki-Kolkhi which has some friendlies on the ground so I can rearm/such. Then I put clusters of targets of all shapes and sizes on the map, so I have waypoints for each, i.e. 1/SOFT TARGS, 2/TANKS, 3/AAA, 4/SAMS. That way I can take off, potentially practice attack runs or threat avoidance, and then practice landings.

I can easily see this as being the best way to "self-train" enough to get up to speed before I fly with an experienced pilot, and feeling like a fool. At least doing it this way I/We all can get up to a certain level, far enough up, that we won't be doing mental back-flips, trying to stay up with the instructions of a good mentor!!! :joystick:

Cheers Guys!!

Matz

Edited by MatzWarhog

Landing the Hawg I find easier though than the FBMS '16, the A10C can come weight on wheels harder and is more forgiving.

It's not too forgiving the way I've been flying so far! lol, I've been in the water (300+ feet deep), upside down in the grass in flames, or I peek around after my "not so soft landing attempt" and see both my wings broken off, no landing gear left.. you name it!!! But it's the guys like you that I watch on YouTube that keep me pressing forward! If I posted a video of myself at present... they would age restrict it due to the self-narrative!!! :wallbash: But then again... it might be quite entertaining!! (Think 'drunk Homer Simpson R-rated narrative) :D

Matz

Great thread with some really great info - you guys are giving me hope for my own progression, thanks!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Landing the A-10, P-51 and Shark will be child's play when you eventually try to hold a stable hover in the Huey. It's quite the dance.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Another thing to remember is when the wheels touch down, don't just let the front wheel drop to the runway. Ease it down to prevent blowing the tire.

Another thing to remember is when the wheels touch down, don't just let the front wheel drop to the runway. Ease it down to prevent blowing the tire.

Definitely figured that one out quickly!! LOL!!