A-10 USB engine gauges

hegykc

I'm making my own because I really don't see this product selling for what was originally cited. There just isn't a market and i do believe that will become evident in the not so distant future. I'm not trying to poo poo this effort but if you think about how many there are building cockpits...well there really arn't that many now, are there.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with criticism, especially when it's backed up by good logic.

But I don't really need a market. I was gonna by me a toy, either a motorcycle or a pro simpit, each one about 20k. So I went for a pro simpit.

But then I thought, hey I'm an engineer, I've been designing stuff all my life, why not equip my own workshop with that money and I can build as many simpits as I want, instead of having one. And I did.

And since I'll have the ability to build them, I would like to fly with/against people with the same setup, so I'll offer them for sale to others. Not really interested in profit, especially for low demand stuff like this. It's a hobby, a creative outlet. Someone plays sports, some sing, some read... I build. If I can sell it to finance other builds, even better.

The machines will make profits on other, industrial and boring jobs in which I take no pleasure in, but have to do to pay the bills.

Can completely relate to that, setting up my own little armouring workshop for the same purpose...not gonna try turning a huge profit from it, but I wanna make armour and will end up making more than I can use myself, so why not offer it for sale to people who can.

More often than not, the fun of creating something is the most fun part anyway ^^

And it's great for those people who don't have the means to make stuff.

And also, I would proberbly have gone with a hardcore simpit over a bike too if it were me ^^

I don't have a problem with criticism, especially when it's backed up by good logic.

But I don't really need a market. I was gonna by me a toy, either a motorcycle or a pro simpit, each one about 20k. So I went for a pro simpit.

But then I thought, hey I'm an engineer, I've been designing stuff all my life, why not equip my own workshop with that money and I can build as many simpits as I want, instead of having one. And I did.

And since I'll have the ability to build them, I would like to fly with/against people with the same setup, so I'll offer them for sale to others. Not really interested in profit, especially for low demand stuff like this. It's a hobby, a creative outlet. Someone plays sports, some sing, some read... I build. If I can sell it to finance other builds, even better.

The machines will make profits on other, industrial and boring jobs in which I take no pleasure in, but have to do to pay the bills.

Please don't take my comments as critism. Actually I applaud your effort and I would even purchase an ADI and HSI in a second if you had them available...even at $300-$500 a piece. But as I am making all of my cockpit from scratch I have a good appreciation of the time it takes to produce a panel or a gauge. I have also designed, prototyped and manufactured some products in the past for a different hobby so I also have an appreciation of the time and money involved in taking something to market. So maybe I should reword my comment to, i am just sceptical of your cost and price projections. Enthusiasm is one thing but working hours upon hours for free is not very appealing for most people and this is what it will take. However everyone is different. So if this turns your crank...go for it. If you are able to bring some product to market at a reasonable price, I too will be a customer.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Good mentality, hegyk ! your projects sound very good. i am very intrested in stuff like this and your grips, hope there is something ready for Xmas. :thumbup:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Fingers crossed that one day I can purchase some of the stuff like you showed on page 1, I have not read every page between 1 and here but I get the impression things changed a little and things taking their time to mature into reality, well just for the record my wallet is interested in your plans, hope the price point is attainable by a mere mortal like myself when it finally comes to fruition :pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

Get back on your horses gentlmen, this took a back seat to the F-18 grip and throttles project which is in the final stages now.

It also needs some of the same technlology used for the grips, so I had to finish those first, then it's back to the instruments.

Regarding the timeframe, if a multimilion dollar company haven't succeeded to make affordable ones in a decade, don't be surprised if it takes a guy in a garage a couple of years :)

Edited by hegykc

• 1 month later...

As of today, I have access to laser cutting and engraving services locally, so this project is starting up again.

Thanks to DCS-bios, looks like motor and led control will be a breeze with a single arduino and that puts things in a whole different perpective.

My first estimate was 500$, well now you can cut that in half. And after my own laser cutter arrives, sub 150$ is looking very much doable. Prototyping starts next month.

How much for the gauge panel drawings? I have all the equipment where I work to lase, cut, and 3D print the whole thing. It would save me the time of having to draw it all up. I used Reactor1's drawings for all my side console panels and am very happy with them.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

You sir have it figured out!!!!

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

• 3 weeks later...

Servos and steppers are starting to arrive. I'm still waiting on arduinos.

But the laser cutter I was going to use came with a broken laser tube so I'm waiting on a replacement. Well, it was never easy so I'm kind of used to stupid things like that by now.

I will also use my industrial 3d printing machine for many of the parts here, so it's all kind of tied up and one project cannot get off the ground before the other.

But it's happening...

That A-10 ADI is a must have...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.