Euro Truck Simulator 2 up on Steam

SackDestroyer

A demo is available at their website: http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/

Believe it or not, the game is actually a lot of fun and has been garnering a lot of good reviews from the mainstream gaming press. Aside from the nice graphics and driving simulation, the game plays something like Truck Tycoon; take out loans from banks, buy more trucks, better upgrades for them, and bigger garages. Hire new drivers to work for you and own your own trucking company.

The company recently bought the website americantrucksimulator.com too, so it will be nice to drive the engine-forward design of American trucks when that hits shelves, though I imagine it won't be for some time.

Anyone else tried this sim yet?

it is alot of fun and works well. I use it with Track IR also as its brilliant. Really needs a wheel to get the best out of it. Love being able to customise my trucks and build a company.

Some really stunning scenery too (I drove down to Austria and was blow away by the mountains and twisty roads!) and you can drive on and off the ferry/eurotunnel.

Great stuff!

• 1 month later...

I keep looking at this and do you know why...

...because it supports TIR.

Hell, I would have to drive it with a keyboard unless it can be driven with my Warthog!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hell, I would have to drive it with a keyboard unless it can be driven with my Warthog!

The game options do actually allow for control with a HOTAS set-up! However, in lieu of a wheel, I'd probably opt for an Xbox controller if you've got one of those lying around. Does the trick for me!

MSI P67A-GD55 | Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz | MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz | Corsair TX750 PSU | Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD | WD Black 640GB + 1TB HDDs | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

DCS A-10C Warthog | DCS Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst | DCS Fw 190 D-9 Dora | DCS Ka-50 Black Shark 2 | DCS P-51D Mustang | Flaming Cliffs 3

I'm actually pretty interested in this too! I wonder if you can buy accessories like the proper 10 speed trans and realistic clutch... the truck driver's version of the TM:WH! :D

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

I'm actually pretty interested in this too! I wonder if you can buy accessories like the proper 10 speed trans and realistic clutch... the truck driver's version of the TM:WH! :D

Have you ever looked at what TM offers for driving? My brother has spent every bit as much as I have and his is hooked to a PS3!!

@Tertius Cool, I do have such a thing! ;)

I just flashed on a multi-player convoy with TS instead of CBs. :lol:

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just wondering, are trip duration as long in game as real trips?

Because a Milano-Frankfourt can take like 8 hours or so in Real Life .

Regards!

No, the distances and the game's timescale are abbreviated. I've driven that very route in-game and it probably took me no more than an hour and a half.

There's a difference between a simulation and this...

(Sigh.)

MSI P67A-GD55 | Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz | MSI Twin Frozr GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 | G.SKILL Sniper 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz | Corsair TX750 PSU | Corsair Force GT 90GB SSD | WD Black 640GB + 1TB HDDs | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

DCS A-10C Warthog | DCS Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst | DCS Fw 190 D-9 Dora | DCS Ka-50 Black Shark 2 | DCS P-51D Mustang | Flaming Cliffs 3

There are a variety of realism settings to choose from, from automatic transmission to fully customizable H-shifter setups and support for the appropriate controllers. Can't personally speak to the realism of the latter though; I've only ever driven your run-of-the-mill five speed automobiles. :)

Edited by Splat

Driving sim community had a software to make MSFFB joystick into manual shifter, using the feedback motors to simulate gearshift pattern . but does the game offer realistic gear shifting at all?

From an online game guide:

The controller you use corresponds with the gearbox type.

A simple automatic gearbox is a mode which does not require using gear change button at all. To select reverse, just click on break; to go forward simply click on gas. The gearbox does all the magic. It is a recommended solution for beginners and gamers who want to focus on driving.

The real automatic gearbox mode is more realistic. The gearbox changes the gears but you have to click on the change gear button to go forward, set the neutral position or reverse. When you go forward, the gearbox automatically changes gears when you accelerate or brake. This option is recommended for gamers who are not interested in an accurate gearbox control.

There is also the clutchless paddle-shift gearbox mode. You have a total control of your gearbox, i.e. you can change gears also to neutral and reverse. Therefore, you can react faster than automatic gearbox to any changes, e.g. by reducing a gear while climbing. Use it if you have something more than mouse and keyboard only, e.g. a joypad or steering wheel. It requires some experience, but it is a perfect solution for more demanding players.

The manual gearbox requires using all gears as well as clutch. To enjoy this mode, you need to have the steering wheel with the third pedal and so-called h-shifter which allows for selecting the desired gear at once.

OK. I am a bit impressed. It works quite well with my flight gear. Stick for steering, throttle for acceleration and my right toe brake for brakes (though it is a bit touchy).

Using the paddle switch and NWS buttons to shift up and down works nicely as well.

I haven't configured anything beyond that yet, but considering it sees my MFDs too...there are lots of possibilities.

Heading for Warsaw if I am reading the sign correctly!! ;)

Edited by cichlidfan

i did 2,400 imaginary Km tonight... playing with keyboard is quite sloppy, was allover all of the lanes available including the incoming ones scaring off the AI. the only thing that helped them is their ability to stop on a spot, nice to have 0 inertia LOL. never driven the real thing , but i would imagine physics of these are somewhat off, no AFM here :lol: but judging by the controls offered this game can be quite nice foundation for Truck sim pit. the H shift pattern can even be realized with joystic in game , without position translation utilities. they probably could work on visuals bit more, and locations are not as recognizable as i thought they would be (had a chance to do Prague-Dresden route IRL)

what got me really immersed however is the radio. after awesome Bulgarian station suddenly died i tuned to a German one , listened to great song by "Die toten hosen" (yeh, i kow i'm not supposed to even know these bands :music_whistling: ) and then "jetzt Musik!" and they put the blipping Lumineers!!!! aarrggg!!! can't stand it anymore, my wife played it to death already!!! STOP!

Polish "Rock bez kompromisu" station saved the evening.

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Well as its up for 50% off at mo, figured I would give this a try. Hopefully will be downloaded by time I get home. Are any of you guys using any mods that you can recommend, like I fly here, I'm always after the most realistic looking experience I can get.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

K, now I've seen it all, and sadly for me, Im thinking about buying this.

Come on ED, get that Fast Mover out, look what you're doing to me!

:-P

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Well, I have learned that I cannot park a semi!!

Are any of you guys using any mods that you can recommend, like I fly here, I'm always after the most realistic looking experience I can get.

Cowboy10uk

Haven't tried any yet but here is a nice selection of mods.

http://www.gamemoding.com/category/euro-truck-simulator-mods

Seat belt option??? :P

eurotrucks22013-03-2317-21-35-70_zpsbce43537.jpg

well, it does take training. i'm already doing better, but only in external view :music_whistling: i'd guess having a proper controller will really be of benefit for docking

Yeeeah, with an Xbox controller I can't dock without using the external cam. Even then it might take me two or three attempts to get it right. :doh:

It's easy guys, just takes a little practice, if you want to turn trailer left, turn right, turn trailer right, steer left. Basiclly the secret is which ever mirror, you can see trailer in, then that's the mirror you turn towards to straighten the trailer.

Reverse slowly, and make very small movements of wheel. If you make large movements, you will end up jack knifing.

Quite impressed with this, it actully feels like reversing an Artic. Just takes practice.

I'm using xbox controller and track IR, and of course triple screen. :)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: