air to air refuel-any mission?

9.JG27 DavidRed

hey guys...i think its time to train air to air refueling.

today i searched in the stock missions of the sim, but didnt find anything related to it. in the training section there is nothing either.so i thought i would ask, if you could recommend me a mission which is made to train air to air refueling, and where to get it.

i could also create a mission by myself if i just would know whats necessary to achieve the above.

thx in advance :)

F-16 and F-15 and heavies especially have the refuelling port behind the cockpit so it's a useful guide for those aircraft.

Exactly. I think that Hog is the one and only plane, which has the refueling port right in front the cockpit.

If you're having issues learning to AAR, try setting your sensitivity on your joystick (especially if you don't have a warthog HOTAS). It made the difference for me when trying to acclimate.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=69965

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

hey there....well i have a ch-setup(fighterstick/pro throttle/pro pedals)

up until now, i always tried to avoid gain/curvature settings on the axis, but with this task(AAR) i just had to set a curvature of about 20%....and with this setting i made it first try...easier than expected to be honest.

now as you mention the warthog, and im really thinking about getting one....

do you need curvature with the warthog as well when you try to do AAR?

(im ok with my ch-setup, but it starts getting on my nerves that all my 3 devices have this typical ch-spiking.i look at my throttle in game in the cockpit, and its moving for- and backwards like its having an epileptical seizure.same with the pedals and the stick...for my taste ch starts to become not precise enough)

yes i could,....but i soo much hate deadzones....i didnt pay ~300 euros to then use deadzones to counter the lack of precision... :)

instead i try to live with it and look for my next purchase...and if nothing new and better than the warthog arrives in the next few weeks, i will probably get one...but i still wonder what i can expect in terms of precision/spiking/centering....

i would like to have i a direct comparison between ch fighterstick and the warthog....unfortunately, not one store in austria has the warthog on stock, but you have to order it first to get one...so i cant lay my hands on this beast before i own it...so therefore i have to rely on forum statements...anybody here who had the ch fighterstick first before he bought the warthog??

bizarre emergency lights

lStrange thing started happening. I downloaded both of these 2 A2A refuelling missions for some practice. All of a sudden I get warning lights for aileron/ elevator emergency disengage when I'm close to the tanker. Doesn't happen on any other flights with A2A refuelling such as Mapleflag missions. Any ideas what could be cauing this? Ta

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I used Dragon's Training flights (search the missions forum) to practice AAR. Once I got decent at hooking up I would mix in some attack runs. I would check in with a JTAC, drop a bomb, go refuel 1,000lbs and go back to the JTAC and repeat. It's helped break up the monotony a bit as well as help work on my link-ups with the tankers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

now as you mention the warthog, and im really thinking about getting one....

do you need curvature with the warthog as well when you try to do AAR?

I have a curvature of 21 applied to both X and Y axes on my Warthog stick. Without that, the plane felt just way too responsive around the center. With that curvature, AAR is quite doable for me.

The downside is that there is less precision when deflecting the stick further away from the center, but I'm okay with this. We should just keep in mind that the real stick has a longer arm (or lever, not sure about the correct term) so that it's easier to control it precisely in the real A-10.

but i still wonder what i can expect in terms of precision/spiking/centering....

Spikes... yeah, I remember the dark ages when my old HOTAS did that. The Cougar was pretty good to begin with but degraded over time (although simply cleaning the contacts inside the pots helped quite a bit).

But there simply are no axis spikes with the Warthog. None. And there is absolutely no need at all for a center deadzone. You're gonna love it! :)

Basically the only bad thing about it is what Frazer described as "bumps" or "stickiness". That same effect exists on my Warthog. IMO this "stickiness" is noticeable if you "look" or "feel" for it, but it's practically indiscernible on a typical combat mission. So unless you're aiming at precision formation flying, this should not be of concern, but for the Warthog's price I'd have hoped TM would do better. But again, the Warthog is a damn fine piece of equipment and definitely by far the best HOTAS I've ever had, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

thx yurgon! i will take a look at that link!

"no need at all for a center deadzone"

ok, but isnt it the case, that as soon as you give the stick a center position in the TARGET software, that the software itself creates a deadzone to guarantee complete centering?im not speaking of the options to set deadzones as well, but only that the software creates one as soon as you check the box "centered axis".

....at least thats the case with ch-stuff.i can manually set a deadzone in the ch-software manager, but thats a different thing than only set the axis to centered.i dont use any deadzone, but i have to center the axis now with the a10.and there is quite a deadzone noticeable.its really small, but still you can feel it.if you uncheck the "center" box, you can notice the difference.the smallest input, even unintentional will result in a small movement of the joystick.i like it that way tbh, but the only problem is, that the ch-fighterstick, doesnt center precisely with the box unchecked.

and there goes my next question about the warthog....does it center perfectly with the box unchecked?if not, how much is it off center, and is it then noticeable in game(banking/pitching left or right)?

"We should just keep in mind that the real stick has a longer arm (or lever, not sure about the correct term) so that it's easier to control it precisely in the real A-10."

^^i should start to accept that finally, and live with some curvature

"no need at all for a center deadzone"

ok, but isnt it the case, that as soon as you give the stick a center position in the TARGET software, that the software itself creates a deadzone to guarantee complete centering?

First of all, I've never had any CH gear, so I can't compare the Warthog to it.

But what I meant is that I don't run TARGET for A-10C, I do all the config inside DCS (which is rather simple because the Warthog is Plug&Play with DCS A-10C). And in DCS, I have not configured a deadzone for the stick (the Deadzone value is set to 0).

With the Warthog, I've never had any unwanted input from a centered stick. I know from the TM Cougar and its predecessor, the F-16 FLCS, how the stick was easily moved off center because of unwanted input, leading to undesired changes in pitch and/or roll. But the Warthog, at least in my case, doesn't move off center unless I want it to. If you could test it at a local dealer, you'd instantly understand how great it feels to use this stick compared to others.

Two factors come into play here. First, the mechanical or physical "feel" of the stick is absolutely great and very precise IMO (except for the previously mentioned stickiness when moving the stick away from the center position very slowly).

Second, instead of potentiometers it uses contact-less Hall sensors which are not just incredibly accurate, but also free from wear, so in theory these sensors won't ever need to be replaced.

In essence, there is so little unwanted input near the stick's center position that a deadzone of 0 (aka no deadzone at all) actually works just fine.

....at least thats the case with ch-stuff.

As said above, I never had any CH sticks/throttles, so I can't comment on that.

and there goes my next question about the warthog....does it center perfectly [...]

I cut away the rest of your question, because the answer is, quite simply: yes, it does center perfectly! :)

The Warthog seems to have an inherent hardware 'curve' where the effect on the flight surfaces is exponential the further from center you get. I had to set curves for my X52, but the TMWH doesn't need it. I personally find that it's very precise and flawless. I couldn't fly with anything else.

Another thing you might try, that I learned from a real USAF Pilot, is 'washing the stick'. Explained further here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1605579

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Exactly. I think that Hog is the one and only plane, which has the refueling port right in front the cockpit.

B-1B also

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift

Nice one Towsim, this is what I've been looking for. Means I can practice this each day for 10 mins without the hassle of starting up and doing the flight plan just to get to the tanker

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys!im really happy now!

now after amazon sent me the second TM hotas warthog(the first one was defective) im able to do AAR without any axis curvature!the warthog is as precise as i hoped for.that goes both for the stick itself as well as for the throttle device, which is at least as important while doing AAR.

so now looking at some of the youtube tutorial vids of AAR, im not baffled anymore by their sheer precision, but i just know that they are flying with a warthog probably.

i hope this piece is not only precise, but also solid and lasts for years.