Best tools to learn air-to-air refueling

Bahger

According to all the books I´ve read so far: Yes, they would start the turn. Would you, as a tanker crew, stray deep into enemy territory just because the fighter jock back there can´t get connected?

Since your frame of reference is the tanker, not the horizon, it shouldn´t really matter to you what kind of maneuvers it flies, you just stay in formation with it.

Just to prove my point:

120608-F-mo144-002.jpg

boeing-wins-contract-to-build-new-air-refueling-planes-289.jpg

b2_stealth_bomber_aerial_refueling.jpg

USAF_B-52_refueling_with_a_KC-135.jpg

P.S. If you need a training tool for aerial refueling, try this sophisticated simulator: http://www.airforce.com/interactive/refuel/ :D

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

So basically there should be no curve on the stick ?? I have x65F and I hoped I'll do better with it then with basic Logitech, but not really... I have curves of 30 on x and y axis on the stick, throttle is basic on default any ideas for me ??

INTEL CORE I7 6700K

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

ASUS ROG GTX1080Ti Strix OC

16GB @ 4100 MHz |CORSAIR

Intel 730 SSD 240GB

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Logitech X-56 HOTAS ,Saitek X-65F HOTAS, Pro Ruder Pedals, Pro Flight Instrument Panel

NP TrackIr 5 Pro

Windows 10 PRO

So basically there should be no curve on the stick ?? I have x65F and I hoped I'll do better with it then with basic Logitech, but not really... I have curves of 30 on x and y axis on the stick, throttle is basic on default any ideas for me ??

No, curve the stick AND the throttle.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Face palm moment!

I just realised I've been using the 'realistic neck' mod which changes the POV with track IR... All I see when I'm connected is literally just the probe.

No wonder why I've been having such a PITA time as I don't have any aircraft/wing to reference! :joystick:

Ps awesome mate. I hope to AAR like that one day

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

Guys, for the second time today, all I did was reference the 4 little holes next to the boom operator to my canopy arc. On speed plus or minus 1 mm of throttle movement, and got a full tank again. Really awesome feeling. Time to put in practice over a mission.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Anybody have tools for actually finding and catching up with the tanker? I was playing the "Hideout" mission and needed to gas up, but of course KC-135s have no TACAN. AWACs gave me bullseye of the tanker so I went there, and saw two or three contrails circling about and literally had to guess. Then I spent then next 20 minutes chasing the damn contrail because I can't fly any faster than the tanker at 25,000ft even with a clean airframe and low fuel...

Anybody have tools for actually finding and catching up with the tanker? I was playing the "Hideout" mission and needed to gas up, but of course KC-135s have no TACAN. AWACs gave me bullseye of the tanker so I went there, and saw two or three contrails circling about and literally had to guess. Then I spent then next 20 minutes chasing the damn contrail because I can't fly any faster than the tanker at 25,000ft even with a clean airframe and low fuel...

That is just bad mission making.

Great to know that the missions that came with the game are poorly made...:joystick:

Still, how do you actually catch up to the tanker? To me a decent overtake at >2nm is 100kts, and unless the tanker is flying at 170kts that's kinda hard to do in an A-10.

Most missions I played have the tankers at 15000-20000ft, 170-200KIAS and a tacan frequency. I usually just intercept the tanker and crawl up behind it.

That being said it's usually community made missions in Multiplayer. I never touched SP missions. If I wanted to train refuelling offline I'd just put down a tanker at 15000-20000ft and fly. The standard tacan frequency is 1X if you don't change it in the editor.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Yes yes yes wohoo i succesfully connected today and took fuel and it felt good infact i got so excited i disconnected to early then re-connected mid turn which i found easier than connecting in a straight line.

Anyone who is struggling keep at it as it will come just takes practice lots of, plus a little stick curve tweaking and you're good.

One tip no one has mentioned is if you get a dissconnect make sure you reset using the nose wheel steering button on your THWH stick otherwise you are just chasing the tanker.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I'm a bit late with my answer, but the tanker speed of Hideout mission is kinda well-known problem:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1473041#post1473041

Actually in DCS World, KC-135 are equipped with TACAN (giving both range and bearing). I don't know why, since AFAIK only the KC-10 has this capability, but it works.

On the subject, for what is worth, I have a CH Product HOTAS as well, and I use 21/21 curves on pitch and roll, nothing on the throttle (never really understood why people would put curvature on the throttle - apart from very specific needs).

Actually in DCS World, KC-135 are equipped with TACAN (giving both range and bearing). I don't know why, since AFAIK only the KC-10 has this capability, but it works.

The real KC-135 has air to air TACAN capability, but only the DME (distance)part of it.

Regards,

Milli

Edited by Milli

Guest Izoul123

I do have one question on this...

I've read from a few others/been told it's almost better to have TrackIR off when doing ATAR.

I know it's something simple I'm missing, I know under the 'Action' settings there is a 'Pause' option, but it only works while continuously holding the assigned button down...how do I make it so it's on/off toggle without continuous button hold?

ATAR is still one of my biggest 'banes' in this SIM, and I think honestly track IR is causing me more negative performance for this part of the sim, which greatly frustrates me.

I can stay contacted for about 5 seconds max, and then disconnect...very nerve racking...so part of my idea is that shutting track IR off might help a bit more actually on this part of the sim...dunno...but I'll keep trying...I can only do it for about 15 minutes of trying before I want to rage quit lol. I'm doing very minimal throttle movements once connected, but it's still not enough...disconnect....and I think it's maybe over fatigue trying to hold head perfectly still to watch/manage reference points on the tanker's engines (I'm not focusing on boom, I try to lock tanker's inner 2 engines on upper of my canopy as reference).

HW is TMWH+TIR5 on default settings. I trim it to as close to perfect flight as I can in tandem with the tanker, but still find myself bouncing/over correcting to much, or fracteciding the tanker...yay.

Edited by Izoul123

I do have one question on this...

I've read from a few others/been told it's almost better to have TrackIR off when doing ATAR.

I know it's something simple I'm missing, I know under the 'Action' settings there is a 'Pause' option, but it only works while continuously holding the assigned button down...how do I make it so it's on/off toggle without continuous button hold?

ATAR is still one of my biggest 'banes' in this SIM, and I think honestly track IR is causing me more negative performance for this part of the sim, which greatly frustrates me.

I can stay contacted for about 5 seconds max, and then disconnect...very nerve racking...so part of my idea is that shutting track IR off might help a bit more actually on this part of the sim...dunno...but I'll keep trying...I can only do it for about 15 minutes of trying before I want to rage quit lol. I'm doing very minimal throttle movements once connected, but it's still not enough...disconnect....and I think it's maybe over fatigue trying to hold head perfectly still to watch/manage reference points on the tanker's engines (I'm not focusing on boom, I try to lock tanker's inner 2 engines on upper of my canopy as reference).

HW is TMWH+TIR5 on default settings. I trim it to as close to perfect flight as I can in tandem with the tanker, but still find myself bouncing/over correcting to much, or fracteciding the tanker...yay.

I have the same hardware... Give this a go.

- download this track ir profile

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/250466/

- add 21 curve to the joystick's x/y axis.

-reattempt AAR

The above made a massive difference for me and now I really enjoy AAR. The track ir profile reduces the constant head movements which while the default profiles are a bit more fluid, can make it quite difficult.

The curves to the joystick lowers the stick's sensitivity enough around the centre to reduce over-correction.

Hope that helps.

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40