Air-to-Air Missile Discussion

Shein

That's not what he asked. I was happy with the performance of missiles in FC2, but you're right, it negated some tactics/advantages gained through certain tactics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it right, that the TWS 2 of the MiG-29S doesn´t work correctly in 1.2.3? Please confirm.

For me it doesn´t work. After the HUD saying T1 LA T2, I launched two R-77, but these missiles only follow the target in the little diamond, not the target in the cross.

TheChris, you need to read a few a pages back. Everything is explained there.

For whatever reason they completely messed up the 120s when they changed something in the recent patch.

PS: I also hear the A-10s maneuverability has also been decreased? Someone was telling me how they can't get the plane to turn past 4-5 Gs now. But that's for another section. I wouldn't know... I stopped playing DCS until they fix it. A good 11 of us religious players are slightly fed up at this moment.

I can turn it at 7g, you just have to be light enough and fast enough. There's really no way to pull 7g and keep pulling 7g in the hog, since at that load you'll bleed speed very quickly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Because the missile can be defeated easily at any point before 8nmi. At 6nmi it's much harder to defeat it and within 5nmi it cannot be defeated. (Unless you were already defending when the missile was fired)

Are these the numbers fpr the fc3 flight model missiles? Do You have such numbers for the old fc2? Would be interesting to see the differences.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.

AIM120C Range

So I'm kind of new to the FC series and haven't done more than mess around with old lomac back in the day.

The only air to air I've done so far is in falcon 4.0 so the slammers in this game are a bit of a mystery to me.

It seems that the AIM120C only goes about 3 nautical miles before it loses its thrust and then does a nose dive towards the ground.

In my previous experience, I could hit targets aproximately 20nm out provided they didn't take evasive.

Has this weapon been nerfed in this game? I seem to only be able to get hits on it within visual range!

In fact, it seems the AIM7 has better range than my AIM120's. Any thoughts?

So I'm kind of new to the FC series and haven't done more than mess around with old lomac back in the day.

The only air to air I've done so far is in falcon 4.0 so the slammers in this game are a bit of a mystery to me.

It seems that the AIM120C only goes about 3 nautical miles before it loses its thrust and then does a nose dive towards the ground.

In my previous experience, I could hit targets aproximately 20nm out provided they didn't take evasive.

Has this weapon been nerfed in this game? I seem to only be able to get hits on it within visual range!

In fact, it seems the AIM7 has better range than my AIM120's. Any thoughts?

The missiles are currently a WIP, especially the 120. Please be patient and await 1.2.4.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks, Viper. back to hoggin for me then.

Try Toading - it's twice as fast :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The missiles are currently a WIP, especially the 120. Please be patient and await 1.2.4.

I hope the fps-problem with the ground smoke will be fixed then too. There ist much to fix and I think in the moment fc3 is barely playable and I switched back to fc2.:mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.

Susceptibility of 27R/ER family to chaff

Updated - See Below!

Some testing yesterday. 2 ERs launched at range ~ 30km. 2 more at range ~20km or less. Lock is never lost. missile speed at intercept of chaff/bandit is always >2000km/hr i.e. they are missing due to guidance failure as opposed to kinetic depletion.

They absolutely love chaff. You can see it in the ACMIs. Even though lock is maintained throughout they actively change course and go for chaff which is often far away from the target aircraft.

Please watch before commenting. I'm well aware of problems with other missiles. Please however keep this discussion on the R/ER family.

Post updated. Links below.

R Testing

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1768847&postcount=71 Ptrack 0.31

ER Testing

Patch 1.2.4 http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1762390&postcount=42 Ptrack .25

Patch 1.2.5 http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1821717&postcount=87 Ptrack .22

Patch 1.2.5.15865 http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1824390&postcount=98 Ptrack .42

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Please watch before commenting. I'm well aware of problems with other missiles. Please however keep this discussion on the ERs.

I watched.

But here's the problem... you can't discuss the ERs in isolation for long. You talk about merits or failures you need comparisons with others. :geek:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You talk about merits or failures you need comparisons with others. :geek:

Sure, let's bring in the others into the discussion, yet limit it to the topic of countermeasures.

Right now we have two extremes:

First chaff is useless unless in the notch - and even still arguably useless as the notch itself is the one breaking lock of the missile [AIM-120, R-77]

Second is chaff is 100% effective - dump some chaff = GG. [R-27R and T, R-73]

Introduce some middle ground with higher randomness involved. The infamous RNG should apply here.

As has been discussed in the numerous threads - all of the missiles available to the players for A-A have filtering algorithms against decoys whether it be Chaff or Flares. Obviously, modern missiles will exhibit better target selection, but it is still there for older generation missiles. And no, it is not purely doppler based filtering.

11 of 18 missiles fired inexplicably go for chaff (some right off the rail, others at closer ranges) despite the target not being in the notch and lock is always maintained.

That cant be right. I'm happy to do further testing or more analysis of the ACMIs if ED/Testers wish...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^Is the target moving while being launched at from 30km? If yes, you'd hardly need chaff, the missile (ER) will miss it anyway.

I have noticed this on occasion where the ER will just fly past the target canopy and wave. This topic however is about ERs choosing to change course to chaff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@///Rage I've been doing a lot of A2A testing as well because I wanted to know why I was utterly worthless in Su-27... (yeah yeah... pilot is lowest common denominator, I know ;)

Anyhow... I wonder what your test results are with ER's when in closer, say 20km, 10km.

I've noticed that ERs are utterly worthless unless the target is a blimp at 30km as well, but it *seems* that they actually hit things (even maneuvering / chaffing things) when in much closer.

I agree... it's not kinetic, but I do wonder if there's something to do with their filtering algorithm against decoys directly related to range. May be a little over-done at the moment... seems to be what everyone is noticing / saying.

Thoughts?

"Snipe"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS => Win7 64-bit Ultimate | MOBO => ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | RAM => 8GB | VIDEO CARD => XFX ATI 4850 | CONTROLLER => Saitek X52 | DISPLAY => ASUS 25.5" 1600x1280 | HDD => 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)