So SimCity. Who's getting it

Cowboy10uk

I'm on the pre-order list for an email code to download as soon as it's out :)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also torn. I really-really want a new Sim City, but I'll make sure to get some reviews under my belt before I plop down money on it. Nothing hurts so bad as when a franchise is reawakened but in a bad way... (See that new Aliens game, for example.)

You would only have a week to play, anyway, before the next Starcraft comes out! ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

my fear is that these methods of implementation in games spreads.

for example what would dcs be like with always on internet. and to cope with anti piracy what methods could be invoked to create a constant connection with a server meaning up/down loads of information are required. what would it be like? for single player. and for multiplayer ? and then consider would you buy it ? would it be as much fun even ?

i perish to think of the consequences of these things becoming widespread.

whilst one says there is nothing one can do about it, what does buying it do to it exactly ?

console gaming is so generic these days why ? because console users all bought into it thinking it was great stuff. i have a console and some of it is ok. but all of it is poor at thhe end of the day. ive learned a lesson and expensive one.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

for example what would dcs be like with always on internet. and to cope with anti piracy what methods could be invoked to create a constant connection with a server meaning up/down loads of information are required. what would it be like? for single player. and for multiplayer ? and then consider would you buy it ? would it be as much fun even ?

There are however good ways to do always-up. In games like Diablo and Starcraft I have no problem with it, because it is integrated very well in the product.

When it's done in games like Silent Hunter and Settlers however... not so good.

console gaming is so generic these days why ? because console users all bought into it thinking it was great stuff. i have a console and some of it is ok. but all of it is poor at thhe end of the day. ive learned a lesson and expensive one.

Remember that consoles in general appeal to a much more generic market. The majority of customers on the console market are people that 10 years ago wouldn't be buying computer games of any form at all. The "consolitis" is basically "gaming gone mainstream", nothing necessarily sinister.

Have to remember that if they are able to appeal to a potential market of tens to hundreds of millions - why would they limit themselves to a potential market of "only" several hundred thousand? It all makes perfect sense, and no-one is getting suckered really. We oldschool "gamers" are simply not the majority of "our" market anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

We oldschool "gamers" are simply not the majority of "our" market anymore.

QFT :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

We oldschool "gamers" are simply not the majority of "our" market anymore.

dont i know it !.......... FORGET consoles a second

What is the average age of a PC gamer, who would buy such a title on the PC ? (actually whats the average age of a console user too?)

Who are the people with the money, (platform costs inclusive) what age range ?

Is there really no market for a real evolution of simcity ? one thats not got frustrating nonsense built in by design..

we`re in a world of nonsense i am afraid and no amount of appeasing the situation will work anymore for me lol. At the end of the day i know im doing my best, putting my best foot forward. Buying into it and thus legitimising it certainly wont help. If cities-xl would perform well (and stop trying to get me to pay more for nothing) well i wouldn`t care at all to be honest.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Online only for Sim city, LOL.

What really pains me is the fact shitheads that take decisions like that a very well payd.

This is the kind of decision that **** up the game market.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

will be avoiding. No excuse for the kind of DRM they are putting in. They dont seem to understand that within 20 mins of the game being release there will be a cracked copy that does not require "always online" connections.

And since I plan on never using a cracked game, I will never play this game.

The only people that get punished is the genuine paying customer.

will be avoiding. No excuse for the kind of DRM they are putting in. They dont seem to understand that within 20 mins of the game being release there will be a cracked copy that does not require "always online" connections.

And since I plan on never using a cracked game, I will never play this game.

The only people that get punished is the genuine paying customer.

hehehe, and towns that load from your own hard drive probally. not some central EA server begging to be corrupted. its hilarious and they try there hardest to make you want to buy it by apparently having no choice.. incredible at the end of the day isnt it ? its all harking back to my original question, "What does buying it do to the situation ?" it legitimises the whole thing wether you care or not, and this is why no really thoughtfull person should be buying or doing otherwise with it imho.

this video is spot on.

if you buy this you have effectivly rented it.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EA will not get money from me. Origin/BF3 was enough.

Same for me. I have played none of the sim city games but I was thinking of getting this to try them out until I read about the security aspects. I won't bother. In fact I think I'll install Rollercoaster tycoon 3 onto my new rig and have my fun with that. Never gets old.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

if you buy this you have effectivly rented it.

Most software only provides you the right to use it, not to own it.

Correct: When you buy a typical game, you own the physical disk it comes on, and you own a license to use the software, but you do not own the software. To own software is to have free reign over the manipulation and distribution of the source code.

The problem with services like Origin and Steam, is that until recently, the license that you bought was effectively indefinite, because there was no real way of enforcing all the terms of the license. Now there is.

Now if you pay $60 for a license of Game X, and you decide it would be more fun to use mods in single player, but mods are against the terms of service, then they can revoke your license (This has really happened). Maybe Game Studio X decides to release a sequel: Game X 2... They can revoke your license because they want you to stop playing the old game and buy the new game.

The "always online" part really doesn't make any difference, because Valve already has the power to take away your Portal 1 if they want to, when they want to... They just don't.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What is the average age of a PC gamer, who would buy such a title on the PC ? (actually whats the average age of a console user too?)

Who are the people with the money, (platform costs inclusive) what age range ?

The people with the money are the people with the jobs. Like our generation - the "old gamers".

However, most of us are now way busy with things like work, raising families etcetera. I certainly know most of the people I used to play games with barely do so anymore - they just don't have the time.

HOWEVER: their kids have the time, so they end up buying games for their kids. And nowadays it's not just us nerds playing games. Everyone does. Even my horse-crazy sister makes sure to have a gaming console, and my highschool age sister goes on LAN parties. (I am shocked to be informed that it is now acceptable even for the "hip" people in school to attend LAN parties! O.o)

Is there really no market for a real evolution of simcity ? one thats not got frustrating nonsense built in by design..

Of course there is. But you're missing something here:

A)

Invest $20 000 000 dollars.

Sell licenses for $100 000 000 dollars.

B)

Invest $20 000 000 dollars.

Sell licenses for $20 000 000 dollars.

Why aim for the smaller market?

That's not nonsense. That's fundamental business sense. You're talking about the same reasons why Eagle Dynamics is alone as a commercial enterprise in the serious combat flight simulation market, and even that has relied at least in part on synergies with the military market.

As for whether I'll get this particular game? I dunno... Will have t osee more reviews first. The Gods know I certainly am not at a lack for games to play - I still have games purchased years ago during Steam sales that I haven't had time to play yet. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The Gods know I certainly am not at a lack for games to play - I still have games purchased years ago during Steam sales that I haven't had time to play yet. :P

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D

Lol...its 75% off and I'm sure I'll play it eventually. As for sim city I played the first beta and it didn't really do much for me. Unless the reviews are great I'll pass on this one.

Edited by pacotito

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Well, it's the 5th already here and it's still not available over here. (At least, Origin still states "pre-order".)

Watching TB's WTF on the game for now, I tend to agree a lot with that man so this will probably weigh into my decision.

EDIT: Oh... lol... It's not until the 7th over here. Ah well, more time to decide. :)

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Always online drm, no thanks

so if that then, what kind of cellphone you have?

:thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

so if that then, what kind of cellphone you have?

:thumbup:

:lol:

Downloading . or rather processing "large file" :)

From Origin?