Platoons?

Are any flight squads considering starting platoons? Now might be a good time to hype up Combined Arms to the RTS (Real Time Strategy) and WoT (World of Tanks) crowd.

Please note I am not talking about people who fly and occasionally do ground operations. I am talking about a team of specialized ground ops people. Maybe they don't even fly at all.

This would be a great opportunity to attract people that are not necessarily into flight sims, bring customers to ED, and bring more people into our community. This could also offer an opportunity for 3rd party companies to develop more detailed (as in user interface) ground combat vehicles. I know there are issues right now but I am hoping the move to 64 bit only will eliminate them.

I know for a fact that one major flight squadron (I will not say who) is looking into this very concept.

What do you guys think?

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The 373rd will run an event with ground commander (4 per side) on wednesday. Both side will have around 160 ground units.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=102372

One main problem, nobody (or better not many) want to play the boring JTAC, just mark a target and wait for a A-10 or Ka-50 or Su-25 pilot to destroy the target.

To take control over a whole attacking army and mark targets is a busy job (in particluar if you have more then one human pilot in the air......)

Other Problems with CA:

i) with limit of 400 ground units and 16 clients (at the moment) you are not really have a big battle field (with tank platoons/companies, recon platoons, artillery batteries and so on)

ii) each client (GC) should be able to take over the AI aircraft

iii) FLARE signals will not seen from other clients - to mark your own position

iv) moving over bridges for AI is a problem

v) mark some notes on the F10 commander map are mission

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

There are some problems as mwd2 mentioned regarding mass units missions but even at this point we can have really interesting missions and training as ground commanders.

Scripts and triggers offer to the designers almost no limitation regarding mission planning and it is up to them to design missions that will include ground warfare scenarios (like ARMA etc)

For example ,=GR=Argyrhs from 113th (Lock on Greece) designed a mini campaign recently that 4 Ground commanders have to drive 4 Ground units (Bradley's,Humvees etc) and complete some missions. Always with the cooperation of 4-6 aircraft (A-10's -KA-50's).

The 4x Ground Commanders had to stick to their role and move through ambushes , enemy defenses ,artillery /air strikes etc.

It seemed like scenarios that are available in products like ARMA.

Video :

With the help of AI units we could have a nice dynamic ground status.Also I think we should test if more CA users could cause LAG problems.Maybe it won't harm.

So I would like to know too how many CA users would be interested joining some missions and events like this in the future :)

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

The 159th has a Wing dedicated to CA and attendant functions.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

One main problem, nobody (or better not many) want to play the boring JTAC, just mark a target and wait for a A-10 or Ka-50 or Su-25 pilot to destroy the target.

I wouldn't call the JTAC position "boring", at all. When you do it right, with communication to the Aircraft, 9-line, clear responsibilities (JTAC buys the bombs!), it should be boring for the pilot maybe.

Had a session with a friend and I was JTAC. I searched and identified a motherf...g SA-10 harassing the planes, which we had troubles spotting from the air due to weather conditions. I called the MGRS grid, and told my buddy to just drop a GBU-12 on my laser frequency and bail out immediately after the drop. Then I lased the SA-10 and ka-boom she went up in flames. Bastard managed to shoot a missile at my buddy, but this time he could maneuver freely. No need to lase the target. :D

Marked a Shilka he could take out, then I got down into town, spotted and marked some 2-3 enemy tank platoons, saw an artillery position, took out the ammo trucks myself, and marked the howitzers for the A-10C. A CBU-97 later, no more artillery... if you use a Bradley, Marder or the like as JTAC vehicle it is far from "boring"...

What in fact IS a game breaker is the damn bug with the bino-view for multi monitor setups! :mad:

It is annoying to change screen configs to play MP CA and you can't jump into a plane after finishing the JTAC job if you are hosting the mission...:cry:

Hope this is looked at by the devs.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Auxiliary Wing.

Hop over to the 159th forums and we'll be able to answer any further questions you might have.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'