V1.2.6 UH-1H issues

DaveRindner

1. Cold ramp start procedure has changed, and no longer works AFICsee. It appears that start button and shortcut no longer start turning the engine. So v 1.2.5 ramp start training is no longer valid.

2. When entering sim from hot or in flight, there is an overriding turbone whining sound that was not there before. I've ridden in National Guard UH-1, as passenger. I recall the sound. The beat from v 1.2.5 sounded more correct. V1.2.6. whine is annoying. I also don't recall, from being a troop, 20 years back as ROTC cadet, in the back, that violent shaking and vibration as helo undergoes translational lift, and looses it when transitioning.to hover. Perhaps it was the skill of the real pilot. But in this sim. its really violent, and causes power loss (the rotor RPM alarm goes), and entry into vortex ring state. Transitioning from hover through translational lift is not a problem, except the shake. But transitioning from forward flight to hover is difficult without power loss and vortex ring entry.

3. Hover, itself is very difficult. Much much more difficult then KA-50. I would come to what seems like a stable hover, then few seconds later, the helo teeters forward or back quicker then I could ever correct.

1. Cold ramp start procedure has changed, and no longer works AFICsee. It appears that start button and shortcut no longer start turning the engine. So v 1.2.5 ramp start training is no longer valid.

2. When entering sim from hot or in flight, there is an overriding turbone whining sound that was not there before. I've ridden in National Guard UH-1, as passenger. I recall the sound. The beat from v 1.2.5 sounded more correct. V1.2.6. whine is annoying. I also don't recall, from being a troop, 20 years back as ROTC cadet, in the back, that violent shaking and vibration as helo undergoes translational lift, and looses it when transitioning.to hover. Perhaps it was the skill of the real pilot. But in this sim. its really violent, and causes power loss (the rotor RPM alarm goes), and entry into vortex ring state. Transitioning from hover through translational lift is not a problem, except the shake. But transitioning from forward flight to hover is difficult without power loss and vortex ring entry.

3. Hover, itself is very difficult. Much much more difficult then KA-50. I would come to what seems like a stable hover, then few seconds later, the helo teeters forward or back quicker then I could ever correct.

I haven't had any issues with cold starts with both 1.2.5 nor 1.2.6. I just finished updating to 1.2.6 and testing.

However, the one issue I am seeing is that the idle rpm is lower than previous versions so even after a full start, the Huey has considerable shake. If if increase the throttle slightly, the vibration eases.

Does anyone know if there is a script where the idle speeds can be adjusted to deal with this??

OK thank you on the hover. Good to know that it is in fact , me. Regarding KA50, KA-50 2 in DCS is easier to hover then in v1.1 original.

Regarding UH-1 start up. What used to be start button on the collective, in v 1.2.5, is now STOP button in 1.2.6. Also a remap of start short cut is required in controls, even if keeping the old shortcut. In still needs to be re-maped in 1.2.6. Thats a minor issue.

The slightly bigger issue is throttle corrector. In 1.2.5. The corrector could be successfully mapped to a slider. In 1.2.6 corrector slider no longer works. To bring the engine N1 and rotor RPM to takeoff/flight rpm, it must be manually clicked with mouse on the collective in 3D cockpit. Doesn't affect sim while in flight, just on start, and shutdown. It felt more real in 1.2.5.

On the other hand, I like that now there are no door gunners, when UH-1H is flown without weapons. Good call!

OK thank you on the hover. Good to know that it is in fact , me. Regarding KA50, KA-50 2 in DCS is easier to hover then in v1.1 original.

Regarding UH-1 start up. What used to be start button on the collective, in v 1.2.5, is now STOP button in 1.2.6. Also a remap of start short cut is required in controls, even if keeping the old shortcut. In still needs to be re-maped in 1.2.6. Thats a minor issue.

The slightly bigger issue is throttle corrector. In 1.2.5. The corrector could be successfully mapped to a slider. In 1.2.6 corrector slider no longer works. To bring the engine N1 and rotor RPM to takeoff/flight rpm, it must be manually clicked with mouse on the collective in 3D cockpit. Doesn't affect sim while in flight, just on start, and shutdown. It felt more real in 1.2.5.

On the other hand, I like that now there are no door gunners, when UH-1H is flown without weapons. Good call!

I have been using the keyboard mapping for the quick start. I haven't learned the Huey well enough to start by the manual method yet. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
...The slightly bigger issue is throttle corrector. In 1.2.5. The corrector could be successfully mapped to a slider. In 1.2.6 corrector slider no longer works. To bring the engine N1 and rotor RPM to takeoff/flight rpm, it must be manually clicked with mouse on the collective in 3D cockpit. Doesn't affect sim while in flight, just on start, and shutdown. It felt more real in 1.2.5.

As I understand it, I have the same problem. If I want to increase RPM, which is mapped to one axis of my Saitek Flight Throttle, the marks go up as I move the lever, but jumps back to zero immidiatly after leaving the lever in the actual position. Only by pulling the lever to its full rpm and THAN manually turn the corrector with the mouse to full rpm it keeps that position. Any idea on how to solve that?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Demon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Founder of the -=VDS=-

:pilotfly:

You cant compare the Ka-50 with its sophisticated autopilot/flight control stabilisation system to the Huey which has nothing of the sort.

Wrong

The Huey have a Mechanical Stabilisation, the Hiller-Bar ;)

In my opinion, the Bird ist too nervous... way to nervous in the Hover... even perfectly trimmed. Also on mountain landings, when you have a slope surface. In reality its not that uncontrolable... especially not with a hiller...

The Huey have a Mechanical Stabilisation, the Hiller-Bar ;)

Not correct, Huey has a Bell stabilizer bar :thumbup:

In my opinion, the Bird ist too nervous... way to nervous in the Hover... even perfectly trimmed. Also on mountain landings, when you have a slope surface. In reality its not that uncontrolable... especially not with a hiller...

What makes you think that the Huey is nervous? Imho it is surgically precise...

I certainly wouldn't call it wrong, unless you call this stabilisation bar a sophisticated autopilot flight stabilisation system :)

not an autopilot, but a flight stabilisation system... mechanical :D

Suchaz:

do you have some curves in your axis settings? or a long stick?

Suchaz:

do you have some curves in your axis settings? or a long stick?

I have G940 with this easy mod and no curves in axis settings.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518

g940b.jpg

In all rights, the Huey is not augmented by an autopilot or stability augmentation system. You constantly have to adjust your controls albeit with fine movements, then you refine more.

Currently my view of landings is tough, but I successfully can contribute that runny landings are the only feasible option ATM, and the most prudent given we have skids to slide on, why not use them in the first place?

I have not migrated to 1.2.6 so I understand I'm not the one to answer your questions, but...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Running landings should only be performed in an emergency for example during an auto rotation landing.

You can't always do a running landing due to terrain or limitations of the LZ and obstacles plus you can't do a running landing onto the deck of a cruiser only a carrier which again is not safe and not advised the captain will have your balls cut off.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Running landings should only be performed in an emergency for example during an auto rotation landing.

Agree, for example some obstacles hidden in the grass can make a border between life and death. Safe landing from a low speed flight or from hover is not a problem if you can predict Huey's behaviour and work properly with the collective control. It's like being one step ahead with your controls of what is your helo doing :smilewink:

Earlier, I made a video of my landing practice

Suchacz,

Good landings but you will die in combat due to the fact you are a sitting duck.

For take off do a hover power check first very important, pull collective skids up off the deck say 5 ft check torque psi setting should be around 30 psi.

Collective is now set do not touch it leave it alone stabilise the hover now ease the cyclic forward to nose her down to gain forward speed don't touch that collective let the blades bite on their own and she will push through ETL with barley a shimmer.

Once you hit 70 knts hold it in the climb and level of at say 1000ft.

For landing say at 45 degrees to the threshold from cockpit window reduce collective by 10 psi and hold her steady at no more than 500 fpm.

Begin your turn as you pass the threshold viewing it out of side door just as the threshold disappears careful here you will bleed speed if you turn to sharp nice and gentle and don't raise the collective keep it at 20 psi.

Now you're lined up for final speed should be around 60 knts and descent rate no more than 500 fpm .

Reduce collective by 5 psi as you get closer to the runway and maintain descent path.

When she hits 40 knts she is going to begin to get sucked into VRS so becareful here.

Start to flare a little and start to ease the collective up to hold that descent don't flare to much now or you'll clout the tail on the runway, keep the nose up around 5 to 10 degrees and keep easing up the collective left pedal left pedal more collective and there you go ground effect hover and land.

Granted all of the above happens very quickly takes longer to write than it happens and eyes off instruments look at the horizon you should only be glancing at the instruments.

System Spec.

Suchacz,

Good landings but you will die in combat due to the fact you are a sitting duck.

[snippage]

Granted all of the above happens very quickly takes longer to write than it happens and eyes off instruments look at the horizon you should only be glancing at the instruments.

This is my problem. I'm so concerned with descent rate etc. that my eyes are glued to the instruments. Back to more practices!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This is my problem. I'm so concerned with descent rate etc. that my eyes are glued to the instruments. Back to more practices!

I modified the landing training mission to fail the gyros and airspeed indicators after 4 minutes. Enough time for one landing and t/o to get comfortable then things start failing. Not having instruments really forces your eyes out the window and has improved my approach to hover over the numbers.

Just for fun I put a small chance of drive shaft failure in also, just to really make things interesting.

Thats a good idea doright and i can tell all from experience that landing in a hot LZ or semi hot for the first time taking just small arms fire you will lose your ASI, ADI, compass, and sometimes your Descent metre plus radios.

The vulnerable areas of the Huey lack protection and a couple of small arms hits to the front and its visual landings from then on, really can't wait for the door gunners AI to be implemented then we can get some suppressive fire on the way in and out i just hope they don't shoot the guys getting out they have a tendency to run into the blades.

So don't focus to much on the instruments look out of the window at the horizon and beaware of your surroundings.

System Spec.

I have G940 with this easy mod and no curves in axis settings.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518

g940b.jpg

Thanks!

Well, the hovering on flat surfaces is not a problem... in fact, im pretty fast and precise. My concern goes to this:

I have the HeliPad Mods installed and placed them on the outside of the airport in steep regions... so when im approaching on of these pads and im in the Ground effect over this plattform its hard to keep it stable... with the hip its e less problem, also without the SAS...

its clear that, when you hovering over a steep surface, the one half of the Rotor Disc -> Ground effect, is closer than the other half and throug that you have a greater lift on one side... but its not that extreme in real life...

i also think there is a kind of lag in such situations...

EDIT: Also: the Hiller schould normally be an extreme Stabilityupgrade...

Edited by dahui

Having been one of the guys running in and out of the birds, I have new found respect for aviators! :) I really didn't put too much thought into what it takes to fly the bird. I mean I *knew* it took skills, but didn't really think it through. Most of the time, I was busy trying *not* to fall out! It's amazing how much more space you have on a UH60 than the Huey. Depending on where you are, the rucksack makes it feel like your ass is half way out the door! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Edited by Buzpilot
I see now, I put this in wrong place, deleted.

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

Thats a good idea doright and i can tell all from experience that landing in a hot LZ or semi hot for the first time taking just small arms fire you will lose your ASI, ADI, compass, and sometimes your Descent metre plus radios.

The vulnerable areas of the Huey lack protection and a couple of small arms hits to the front and its visual landings from then on, really can't wait for the door gunners AI to be implemented then we can get some suppressive fire on the way in and out i just hope they don't shoot the guys getting out they have a tendency to run into the blades.

So don't focus to much on the instruments look out of the window at the horizon and beaware of your surroundings.

Jay,

Question for you. when I land, it always seems like I'm coming in way too fast. Again, it speaks to my tendency to look at the indicators more so than the horizon, but from your perspective, is the landing "feel" pretty legit? Of course, it's impossible to judge these things when it's 2D, but from a ballpark, smell test perspective, does it pass? Thanks.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Jay,

Question for you. when I land, it always seems like I'm coming in way too fast. Again, it speaks to my tendency to look at the indicators more so than the horizon, but from your perspective, is the landing "feel" pretty legit? Of course, it's impossible to judge these things when it's 2D, but from a ballpark, smell test perspective, does it pass? Thanks.

Well i have never flown a real Huey but over at the http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/ which you are more than welcome to come and join, we have real life instructor pilots from the US Army.

And they all say the current model is about 99% accurate, all check rides follow the same criteria as the US Army.

So what i said is basically how they teach us to do basic flight manoeuvres to your first set of wings and then we can progress from there to more advanced flight manoeuvres.

But yes its pretty close to the real Huey now all be it some minor niggles.

System Spec.