Key-management on steam

karls

As I have no intention to use steam on my myin computer, I was thinking about using some older computer to install steam just to purchase the titles and use only the serials in plain DCS World.

Does that mean that I will lose one activation by transferring the serial from the temporary "steam" computer to my gaming rig?

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that steam DRM is only 32 bit so modules are still activated through starforce upon launching. So theoretically you could buy on steam and just use those serials on the DCS homepage downloads without ever having to run the steam versions

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that steam DRM is only 32 bit so modules are still activated through starforce upon launching. So theoretically you could buy on steam and just use those serials on the DCS homepage downloads without ever having to run the steam versions

Yep, I just did this with SU-25A and BS-2. I had to dig a bit to find the keys in Steam, but once I did I just downloaded the modules and activated it via DCS: World.

To clarify:

Steam -> Library -> *Right Click on DCS:World* -> View CD Key

Steam -> Library -> DCS World -> "CD KEY" Option on the right side menu also works.

Steam uses the Same Starforce Activation, it just pastes the key and activates automatically.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Transfer of modules to Steam

Hello, pilots.

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to transfer my modules to the Steam version of DCS World? And if so, how?

I'm considering the switch to Steam because it keeps my games much more organized, and since Combined Arms is on sale and I have just enough in my Steam wallet for it.

Hope I was specific enough in asking.

EDIT: Ah, thanks for the move.

Question still stands. :/

Edited by Serp Supreme

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

I believe its the same process. put license key into steam and boom. However there might be a delay upon first purchase since ED may need to send purchased license keys over to steam

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

I believe its the same process. put license key into steam and boom. However there might be a delay upon first purchase since ED may need to send purchased license keys over to steam

Wait, excuse me but was this directed to me or the person after me?

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

^that works now

I think you both want the same thing. Activate steam version with serials purchased on DCS website. I probably should have specified "I believe it is the same process but reversed"

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

From Matt...

We try to provide Steam a new key code dump each month. So for new purchases, there may be a few days before keys are merged.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think you both want the same thing. Activate steam version with serials purchased on DCS website. I probably should have specified "I believe it is the same process but reversed"

I'm still installing the Steam version, sorry for any stupidity. How would i go about entering my serial? I don't have to purchase the modules again do I? :cry:

Oh and from I remember reading (a while ago, might have changed), there was an issue for those who upgraded from BS1 to BS2? I did that, all non-steam versions, so will I have problems?

Edited by Serp Supreme

^that works now

I'm still installing the Steam version, sorry for any stupidity. How would i go about entering my serial? I don't have to purchase the modules again do I? :cry:

Oh and from I remember reading (a while ago, might have changed), there was an issue for those who upgraded from BS1 to BS2? I did that, all non-steam versions, so will I have problems?

In steam, go to the "Game" menu, and choose activate a product on Steam. Enter your key from your profile from digitalcombatsimulator.com

With regards to BS2 upgrade, as I understand it. BS2 standalone *will* work with steam, but the BS2 upgrade will *not* work on steam. As far as I know, BS2 upgrade version, and FC3 standalone will not work on steam. All other modules will, as well as FC3 aircraft that have been released as stand-alone modules.

Having added A-10A and SU-25 on steam now, it did not activate either of them automatically. It did recognize that the other modules were activated on my computer already though... is automatic steam-activation a work in progress feature or was there just a problem with my computer?

Having added A-10A and SU-25 on steam now, it did not activate either of them automatically. It did recognize that the other modules were activated on my computer already though... is automatic steam-activation a work in progress feature or was there just a problem with my computer?

If you bought the modules from ED's eshop then there is no automatic activation on Steam. ED merely provides Steam with a list of valid (sold) key codes so that Steam knows if your key is valid or not. ED does not provide Steam with the ID of the owner of the key since ED has no way of knowing what your Steam account ID is. You still need to manually tell Steam that you want to add a, purchased elsewhere, module to your library. That is unlikely to change.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: