Ivy Bridge or Haswell: reapplying thermal paste

If you have a defect CPU with strange heat problems yes sure I would do that. If your current CPU is overclocked the normal way but gets hot I would maybe think twice. I would also get some cleaning fluids from one of the heat sink producers to remove micro particles, there are kits for that. But keep in mind you won’t be getting any warranty replacement for the CPU after doing this procedure so be prepared to buy a new CPU if things go to h***.

Paste is actually OK.

The main problem is not the thermal paste but the silicon glue which Intel uses to attach the lid to the CPU. Basically, it varies in thickness around the seal which results in poor and uneven contact between the lid and the die.

Delidding Haswell with razor method is much more dangerous than delidding Ivy Bridge - you have to be extra careful not to damage voltage regulating circuit on the Haswell chip which is very near the silicon glue.

Soooo - the safest method for delidding Haswell is the vice method. There are two approaches: the Russian one, without hammer, just with vice (it should be safer) and regular with hammer and vice. Search on YT for the instructions and explanations for the both methods.

BTW, it's not rare to drop temps by 15-20 degrees which is huge amount. Intel has to stop cheaping out and needs to go back to soldering lids to the die.

For more info search on the overclocking boards ...

Edited by danilop

This razor delidding is actually very difficult and risky. There is an easier way to do it (which is badass by the way):

There you have it, delidding like a boss.

I have delidded my 3770K some time ago (with a razer though) and the temps dropped dramatically, I run it on 4,8-5GHz depending on the season and it hasn't crashed once. I used Coolaboratory Liquid Pro under the IHS and on top of the IHS I used Phobya HeatGrease. Tops out at 70-75 degrees under full load @4,8GHz with Hyperthreading active. Can easily go to 5GHz without HT (which is what I do for DCS).

If you dare to do it, great rewards await.

EDIT: Trying to fix the youtube embed, but to no avail, sorry for the mess. :(

Edited by mhe

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Thanks, people...

Of course I know it is a risky business. I am hesitating...

@mhe, that method is indeed very, well, bossy...... But I can see my 3570K flying around because I didn't place it perfectly before hammering it..

Maybe I'll try it when the warranty is over. Thanks again guys.

PS: @mhe, try

[ YOUTUBE]2eFzNpTOaOw[/YOUTUBE ]

(remove the two spaces)

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction with Youtube embedding, it works now :)

And delidding is one of the easiest mods you can do to improve cooling, if you are even a half-decent craftsman, you shouldn't have a problem. I delidded mine with a razorblade and the whole mod took me maybe an hour, including cleaning up, putting the CPU back in etc. At first I was afraid I ruined it because it didn't boot, but then I loosened the screws of my waterblock a bit and it has been perfect ever since. I cannot recommend this enough, just be careful not to put electrically conductive paste over some contacts, that would fry something. If you keep double-checking everything, there is almost no way of getting this wrong.

If you are worried about the CPU flying around, place something like a plastic bag over the the whole thing and tape the bag to the vice. It won't fly far that way...

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

de-lidding your Intel CPU is dangerous regardless of method used.

Unless your CPU is Constantly overheating, and you are a pro in PC Modding, dont bother, RMA it, Sent it back, get a different CPU Back.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Every de-lidding video I've seen made me cringe. Way too much chip manhandling for my liking if had to pick a method. Easiest method to me would simply be mount it, carefully use a heat gun, and peel. Done. No bang bang!

Edited by Tailhook

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

Every de-lidding video I've seen made me cringe. Way too much chip manhandling for my liking if had to pick a method. Easiest method to me would simply be mount it, carefully use a heat gun, and peel. Done. No bang bang!

atleast you dont have to worry about bent pins... :megalol:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Even if your CPU is Constantly overheating, and you are a pro in PC Modding, dont bother, RMA it, Sent it back, get a different CPU Back.

Fixed. :)

If it's under warranty then it's a waste of time, and potentially money, to mess with it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Actually, delidding is highly recommended if you invest in the expensive custom water loop for cooling Ivy & Haswell. Even better, cool the die directly, without reattaching the IHS. EKWB makes dedicated water block mounts for delidded bare die CPUs.

For the rest of users, it's not worth it ...

It`s an easy Intervention.

No nervousness, quiet finger and "dont touch the Pins".

2 very thiny Rasor-Blades (the old Rasorblades works well.)an an Head Gun.

The Result speaks for itself.

A Test for Paste

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/extreme-kuehlmethoden/263965-extreme-roundup-2013-26-waermeleitpasten-im-test.html

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.c179cc85034ec96137dbbb4373717a2f.JPG

IMG_0975.thumb.JPG.221081cd06e059307161d3cc1d3cf7a2.JPG

IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.7adaa84e7d3eb238adfb56f7103ab2c0.JPG

IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.dc9179c38161c65a36b2423b915b1996.JPG

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.2ce75ca17cfa69d03517284f2c777e40.JPG

Edited by Brutov

My Specs: Cooler Master HAF X / MSI Z77 MPower / i5 3570k at 4,5GHz / Corsair H110 / Corsair AX860i / 8 GB Corsair Dominator GT / 2 x EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4 GB SLI/ 2x SSD Samsung EVO 840 / 3 x 24" Monitors at 5760 x 1080 / Trackir5 / X52 Pro / G700 / G19 / Creative TACTIC 3D Rage.