Tyre blowouts and repairs?

Dudester22

Why when I get a puncture in the A10C, doesn't the ground crew repair it? They tell me copy on repairs but they do nothing. The other question I want to ask is why do I keep getting blow outs when I appear to land ok? Is it maybe lag or something? I am pulling the stick up to 5 degrees just before landing and keep blowing out the front Tyre. Both these things are happening in multiplayer. Thanks!

Edited by Dudester22

In MP I've noticed the tires seem a bit fragile. Try lowering the nose slower while you still have some speed so your elevators are effective. I've noticed if you try and aero-brake the A-10 like a F-15 and you let the speed get to low you'll loose elevator control and the nose will slam down resulting in a blown nose gear tire. Good luck!

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make certain your air speed is right when landing, i.e. the AOA indexer only has the 'O' lit. If, at that speed, you touch down with the FPM just under the horizon line you'll not be at risk of any blown tires. I've tried coming in heavy and jamming the brakes on touchdown to try force a blowout on the nosewheel after touching down with the above parameters and the tires are perfectly fine. Tested on single and multi-player.

Hope that helps

Had that issue for a while, I would bring it in smooth as silk and BAM!!!, blown tires.

Turns out it was my rudder pedals. For some reason, the pedals always engage the brakes unless I push and release them after lowering the gear. (I think this is a known issue with Saitek pedals).

Added that step to my landing checklist and no more blown tires, unless I screw up and slam the tarmac.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Had that issue for a while, I would bring it in smooth as silk and BAM!!!, blown tires.

Turns out it was my rudder pedals. For some reason, the pedals always engage the brakes unless I push and release them after lowering the gear. (I think this is a known issue with Saitek pedals).

Added that step to my landing checklist and no more blown tires, unless I screw up and slam the tarmac.

Thanks for the replies, but the Saitek pedals may well be the problem. I have noticed my toe brake sticking and I am not sure how best to deal with this. I have set a deadzone in the windows setup for saitek, but I am unsure if it will work correctly. What I would like to know, is will it still simulate a 100% brake push in the Sim even when I set a deadzone?

I would also like to know if the brakes engaged before a landing will it cause the tryes to blow out? Thanks!

Edited by Dudester22

I would also like to know if the brakes engaged before a landing will it cause the tryes to blow out? Thanks!

It will certainly increase wear a lot. You want your tires to speed up as quickly as possible and then start braking without skid.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It will certainly increase wear a lot. You want your tires to speed up as quickly as possible and then start braking without skid.

I have noticed my toe brake sticking and I am not sure how best to deal with this. I have set a deadzone in the windows setup for saitek, but I am unsure if it will work correctly. What I would like to know, is will it still simulate a 100% brake push in the Sim even when I set a deadzone? Thanks!

Toebrakes are special axis in that they spend most of the flight at one extreme of their movement range. I don't know if the deadzone accounts for this. You might actually be adding a deadzone to the middle of the travel where it won't do a lot for you. You should be able to determine what is happening in the axis tune panel. Look at the input/output graph, it should tell you what deadzone is applied to your toebrakes.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well, there is an issue where main landing gear tires get damaged without any apparent reason. Might be related to certain runways or a glitch in the AFM.

Yesterday I landed with 25% and no weapons, only TGP and ALQ. I did the smoothest flare ever, but my left tire blew anyway. After watching the track I can't find any other reason then bug. But I'll try to reproduce in 1.2.7 and report if it happen again.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

The Saitek pedals bug has been in since at least 1.1.1, I am hoping they have it fixed for 1.2.7 but it seems to be a low priority fix. The best luck I've had with working around it is to reduce saturation on each pedal's axis by about 30, and bump up the curve to compensate. I also set up my right pedal with a modifier, so I can use the one pedal for both brakes, to keep the bug from locking up one pedal and send me careening off the runway.

Also, some airfields just seem to blow tires no matter what you do. I suspect it to be a terrain issue, possibly a bit of overlap making the sim think you've hit a bit of soft ground at high speed. But I am certainly no expert. I do know that on those airfields, I can reduce the number of blown tires by making an under speed landing, but it still does not eliminate it.

A couple things- I don't think I saw mentioned.

You have to "axis tune" your rudder pedals- I have two sets of Saitek peddals and they're both fine with no issues, but you have to go into the controls settings and axis tune to "invert axis."

It looks greyed out- but it's not... try that.

Also, you can be coming in at the right horizontal speed but still be vertically descending too quickly. There's a dial gauge just to the right of the HUD that shows you your descent / ascent rate (sorry don't recall the formal term for it)... When I was blowing out tires all the time I found that my rate on the gauge was >1 (which I think is 1000 feet per minute).

Once I started being mindful of that and trying to keep it at LEAST <1 and closer to .5 at touch down and maintained about a 10 degree AOA throughout my approach... I found that blowing landing gears was extremely uncommon.

Sorry I don't know the formal gizmology- I just know what works and what doesn't. (sometimes)

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

One thing I've noticed is that if you're hard on your wheels while taxing (turning while too fast, slamming on brakes to stop) you have a much higher chance to blow out your tires. Could all be in my head of course, but it feels that way to me. Significantly fewer blowouts when I'm gentle on the wheels.

I think I can conclude that the Tyre blowout is a bug that needs fixing. I am sure these tires wouldn't be so easily blownout in a real A10C. I have watched my tracks back and noway should these tyres blowout on the landings I have watched back. Is there noway to increase their strength because it's like popping a balloon at times.?

I also found spooling my engines down to completely off in Multiplayer still doesn't get them repaired.

Edited by Dudester22

I also found spooling my engines down to completely off in Multiplayer still doesn't get them repaired.

The ground crew must answer your request for repair, or else you haven't done it right.

Engines off, cockpit open or Comms Dial set to Int (Intercom).

Before you off your engines, have the APU on and spinning and turn on the APU Power so you won't lose your electronics. If I'm bringing a damaged bird back to base I will turn on my APU before landing to get it going.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

The ground crew must answer your request for repair, or else you haven't done it right.

Engines off, cockpit open or Comms Dial set to Int (Intercom).

Before you off your engines, have the APU on and spinning and turn on the APU Power so you won't lose your electronics. If I'm bringing a damaged bird back to base I will turn on my APU before landing to get it going.

WC

Do you also switch on the APU Generator?

He probably meant generator when he said APU power.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down