Wing Tip Jammer Pods - Do They Work?

Jimbolya

The MPS-410 I think it is...do they work yet? I was watching a training video and I swear they said they don't. When I hit the jammer button (not IR Jammer) nothing lights up...

Also with regards to RWR modes - when I switch modes shouldn't a dial turn or something? There doesn't seem to be a cockpit indicator that lights on / of or moves when I switch modes...

Ha - lots of questions today -

Ahh lol - Ok - I'll run up a quick night mission and turn it on.

Quick questions for follow up:

1. Do you need to continuously turn it on or does it simply pulse until you turn it off?

It flashes for the first 15 seconds when you first turn it on to warm up but once it's on, it's on untill you turn it off. This is the radar jammer, not the IR jammer.

Ok - I've turned it on before but never saw anything light up. I'm using the free version of DCSW so I'm using that Su-25T. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I know my IR Jammer light is on my left hand side just above my weapon release option panel.

Ok - I've turned it on before but never saw anything light up. I'm using the free version of DCSW so I'm using that Su-25T. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I know my IR Jammer light is on my left hand side just above my weapon release option panel.
It should definitely light up in the Su-25T. You're pressing Left-Shift E?

Yuppers, but nothing on the right side of the cockpit ever lit up. It could have been a lighting thing. I know that when I first learned to cold start the plane I couldn't tell if the engine lights were on or off...so that might be part of the issue. I also read somewhere that you must have both on the plane in order for it to work as well.

Yuppers, but nothing on the right side of the cockpit ever lit up. It could have been a lighting thing. I know that when I first learned to cold start the plane I couldn't tell if the engine lights were on or off...so that might be part of the issue. I also read somewhere that you must have both on the plane in order for it to work as well.

It's a rectangular green light on the left side of the front dash. You don't need an ECM pod for it to work.

I always understood that the IR jammer was a way to saturate a MANPAD's seeker (causing it to fly ballistically). So, it increases your odds of survival while flying *away* from enemies at lower altitudes - a good thing considering the lack of reward visibility.

Yea - that's the IR Jammer

I'm talking about the Pod Jammers...

The IR Jammer lights up just fine.

ok. In that case, you definitely need to load the ECM pods. If you have ECM pods loaded, when you turn on ECM (E key) a light on the right console will flash for 15 seconds and then turn solid green.

If you have the option to fly an aircraft of FC3 you can see the exact effect of the jammer.

Activating the radar jammer gives the enemy information about your direction because youre a "big flashing radar cloud" (because of that they can detect you earlier) but it hides all information about your distance.

Your enemy must guess your distance in order to shoot his missiles at the correct ranges.

Additionally several radar modes of the enemy don't work if you're jamming like the TWS-Mode (Track-While-Scan).

But if your enemy is close to you (~ distance when he can barely see you in good weather conditions) his radar is too intense and it will "burn through" your jammer which will disable all advantages of it.

So you should turn it on when you think your enemy can actually see you with his radar or when he even locked you (constant RWR sound) and turn it off when being stealth, not in combat or in range vor visual fights :)

Edit: It also hides information about your flight vector. An enemy probably won't launch a precious radar missile when your flying 3/9 o'clock to it^^

Edited by Zabuza

Yes the jamming pod works. It has worked against other players prior to 1.2.7, but all it does is deny range information. In 1.2.7, they are also effective against SAMs in that they do help break a lock. I've had it work in an F-15, A-10C, and Su-25T.

Ok - good to know - I will test this.

I finally ran a quick mission through and got my Vikhr to work and spotted the enemy. Was shot down by linebacker in the end. But I got a tank! ha!

I was thinking about turning off AAA defenses for Blue force, but I'm going to leave it on. From the reading I've done I've noticed that most of the time going against IR SAM is really a bummer. I'm thinking about at least adding an AI wingman to my flights.

Yea - I'm having a heck of a time spotting things from a distance using the optics. I'm thinking I need to rely more on PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!

There's nothing that says I can't keep doing ovals until I see something. I need to reconfigure my set up as well. Currently my zoom keys absolutely suck. There's no easy zoom - it just goes straight to face against glass, and then zoom out is like looking out of a fish eye lens...

It's going to take me a good couple months to get this stuff down. For now I use AI wing man to spot the SAMs, but then after that trying to find a target is still a huge problem. I don't have TrackIR and I don't have the cash for that nor a HOTAS. The PS3 controller I'm using right now is okay and does a fair enough job.

To me it's about my tactics, what I'm choosing as weapons and how I fly in the zone. I found a few tanks on a hill, flew past them, turned around and then forgot which hill they were on.

Artillery is pretty easy to spot though - just look for the muzzle flash.

If you are doing all of this without a TrackIR and a real HOTAS then my hat is off to you because you are flying, in a manner of speaking, that is way harder than it has to be...

As for this simulation, the rule of thumb for learning isn't "does it work?" but "how...does it work?"

May all your enemy MANPADS be blind...

No TrackIR no HOTAS - don't have the additional 300 bucks at the moment...maybe later this year...so... I have to make due. Each flight gets a little bit better. Last night's flights with an AI wingman helped to keep me airborne much longer. Unfortunately the AI is going after IR SAMs so I feel like a bit of a gimp. I really need to slow down though. Spotting and creating the attack ingress run is going to be a major training point for me.

No TrackIR no HOTAS - don't have the additional 300 bucks at the moment...maybe later this year...so... I have to make due. Each flight gets a little bit better. Last night's flights with an AI wingman helped to keep me airborne much longer. Unfortunately the AI is going after IR SAMs so I feel like a bit of a gimp. I really need to slow down though. Spotting and creating the attack ingress run is going to be a major training point for me.
I find loading up with a night vision pod, even in the day, makes a huge difference with spotting targets. They show up as bright white in your monitor and are much easier to see.