New Pilots inbound...lend a hand!

WarriorX

As I have mentioned in another thread, with the upcoming Steam Release, there will be a lot of new pilots coming on these forums for guidance. Some will be veterans of previous flight sim's, but I think the majority will be green recruits.

Having that in mind, I would like to provide them a thread they can come to find community created guides aimed squarely at them.

I need you all to help me out and please consider making a New Pilots' Guide that has your own advice and wisdom based on your experiences. Please try to provide whatever you create in a PDF format for consistency.

Post them here, and please try to remember your target audience, and how it was for you way back when you first met the Hog!

We want the Simulation Community to grow, so let's provide a resource for the new pilots that show up.

I have created my version, and have attached it below.

Based on the response from the Community, I hope to see this thread made a sticky.

Guys, just to be clear, I am looking for you to create a short document with your best advice, and help with things that were stumbling blocks to you when you first started.

NEW PILOT GUIDE VER 1 04-15-2011.pdf

Edited by WarriorX
  • Like 3

As I have mentioned in another thread, with the upcoming Steam Release, there will be a lot of new pilots coming on these forums for guidance. Some will be veterans of previous flight sim's, but I think the majority will be green recruits.

Having that in mind, I would like to provide them a thread they can come to find community created guides aimed squarely at them.

I need you all to help me out and please consider making a New Pilots' Guide that has your own advice and wisdom based on your experiences. Please try to provide whatever you create in a PDF format for consistency.

Post them here, and please try to remember your target audience, and how it was for you way back when you first met the Hog!

We want the Simulation Community to grow, so let's provide a resource for the new pilots that show up.

I have created my version, and have attached it below.

Based on the response from the Community, I hope to see this thread made a sticky.

Does this mean I will be called a MAGGOT (again) as to the bottom rung of basic training?

:thumbup:

Steam? I'm going to have to do a Google. LOL

Erich

May I suggest if this is going to be a sticky, to add all contributions is the first post or make a new thread only with contributions. Would make things easier. :thumbup:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I'm calling this "New Pilot Conundrums"--a list of some over-arching issues that I've struggled with over the years.

I glanced through this and saw this line:

Aircraft without NWS use the rudders and ailerons to steer the aircraft on the tarmac

What? Ailerons to steer on the ground?:huh:

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

What about ...going all in and fill up the wikipage ??

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do we have a release date for steam yet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

New videos will be forthcoming now that I've got more time on my hands.

Nice to hear!

I would like to see a video about how to input coordinates in the CDU for the Jtac :thumbup:

MB:MSI X79A-GD45

CPU:Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Ram:16 gb

Grafik :GTX 680 Sli

Win 7 64 bit

1200 W

2 ssd 120 gb

1 2 TB western Digital Caviar Green

Does this mean I will be called a MAGGOT (again) as to the bottom rung of basic training?

:thumbup:

Steam? I'm going to have to do a Google. LOL

Erich

Not maggot! too evil sounding!... maybe young tuskies or mini hogster, nugget, gau-one's, wingies, wagsters ;), cannon fodder, sam lunch'ies

:)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What about ...going all in and fill up the wikipage ??

That would be more practical! :thumbup:

Also my contribution ---> Buy HOTAS and TIR. The rest is pure guts:D

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Hey Tim I thought about this for a bit when I saw your post,

I think the wiki even a new compiled by the community wiki page. Then the information would be available to all and could be edited by all.(Paused then with thought of chaos):helpsmilie:

But even with potential problems it would reduce duplication of effort. I think:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ITS NOT CALL OF DUTY!!! ITS A FLIGHT SIM :pilotfly:

We know.. thus my suggestion for HOTAS and TIR. The comment for guts is purely sarcastic. :music_whistling:

FYI there are TONS of info and data around these forums, including the wiki AND the 669 pages of the manual + GUI manual + training missions in game and hundreds of Youtube videos.

Of course more info would not hurt.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Hey Tim I thought about this for a bit when I saw your post,

I think the wiki even a new compiled by the community wiki page. Then the information would be available to all and could be edited by all.(Paused then with thought of chaos):helpsmilie:

But even with potential problems it would reduce duplication of effort. I think:)

The wiki sites have been there for a while now, and would be the ideal arrangement I agree, but this forums seems to be the continual nexus for the new pilots, so I thought why fight the tide?

Guys, just to be clear, I am looking for you to create a short document with your best advice, and help with things that were stumbling blocks to you when you first started.

Follow BBQ's lead!

Even though they are good advice, I am not looking for the insightful one sentence post.

I glanced through this and saw this line:

What? Ailerons to steer on the ground?:huh:

''

Well, might have to edit that--can't remember if it was the Ka-50 or Su-25T, or possibly even the F-16--but in one of those, I actually used the stick to taxi, which of course, moved ailerons as well (I think?) At any rate, I can edit that entry if necessary.

''

Well, might have to edit that--can't remember if it was the Ka-50 or Su-25T, or possibly even the F-16--but in one of those, I actually used the stick to taxi, which of course, moved ailerons as well (I think?) At any rate, I can edit that entry if necessary.

Go to any working real life airport with a 2 wing bi-plane and watch how he or she does it. Kobelt Airport is just outside Walden, NY over near the village of Wallkill. Better yet, go talk to 'em.

I keep pluggin' the flight sim Aces High---that's how its done on the 2 wheel tail draggers.

Erich

May I suggest if this is going to be a sticky, to add all contributions is the first post or make a new thread only with contributions. Would make things easier. :thumbup:

I agree, but let's see what contributions are put forth. So far, we are a ways from sticky territory, but I have hope that new pilot guides are under development as we speak.

Kudos to BBQ for his contribution!

Edited by WarriorX

Ever try Rise of Flight?

Please Gentlemen!!! can we please keep this thread on topic?

I ask that you only post your new pilot guides, or questions about the guides.

I really don't want this to turn into a cat herding session.

Hey WarriorX I have a steam group for the game, you could add that to your doc.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DCSA10C

The steam players will more than likely use the steam forums for questions and may not even end up on this board. I know that was the case for BS, a lot of questions where asked on that portion of the steam forum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Antec DF-85 Case, Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4 GHz, air-cooled with Noctua NH-D14,

Corsair Vengeance 16GB, EVGA GTX 560 TI, Corsair Professional Series 750W, Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium HD, ASUS EA-N66 Wireless Adapter