Cockpit Lighting Update

Cobra847

Hello,

Stupid question: how the afterburner's glow can affect the cockpit thru fuselage ?

Seems like a good question to me.

Maybe at night it's so bright you can see it through the periscope? I actually don't know either. Cockpit is too far "in front".

Another question: Red light isn't coming from «mushrooms» scattered all over the panels and around the instruments ? In the screenshots, it seems to come from the rectangle shaped lamps, but I think these are UV lamps, the ones that heat so much and have less than 1% of energy efficiency…

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I think the "mushroom" lights are on the circuit with the back lighting which has been working for many months. They are type "CB" for example there are 4 above the ADI. In the USA we call these "post lighting".

I think, at least in some models MiG-21 that the console panel inscriptions are backlit but maybe not the complex gauges.

The three main types of instrument lighting are (oldest to newest):

Post lighting - mini flood lights on posts near the instrument

https://www.pilotlights.net/sites/default/files/red_post_lights_panel_a.jpg

Internal front lighting - light built into the instrument itself but it falls on the front of the dial also bouncing inside the instrument glass

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/images/products/3132/lightring-4.jpg

Backlit - light is behind the instrument dial and comes through translucent markings and needles

(like a modern car before the use of screens)

It is very common for airplanes to have post light fixtures but be later upgraded with newer internally lighted gauges. So just because the MiG-21 has these lights doesn't mean everything. Maybe the instruments were upgraded to internally lighted or backlit versions and the post lighting disabled but not removed.

Or maybe LNS renders the post lighting as a uniform backlight type illumination. I can see that 20 independent dynamic post lights may bring too much FPS loss to model in the ideal way.

I don't know how the real airplane that LNS wishes to model is. If it's supposed to be post lighting and the reason why not is due to the performance problems maybe a compromise can be made with an uneven illumination "baked in" to the lighting layer. This could be an invalid suggestion. I don't know enough about how lighting in DCSW Edge works.

When will it release ? Next year ?

To give you an idea, the MiG-21 itself was released just Two weeks™ ago :megalol:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Nice works! Looks stunning!:thumbup:

HW-Specs: Ryzen 5800x | Gigaybte RTX 3080 | 32Gb DDR4-4000 | 2x M.2 970Evo + SSDs| LG 34" 21:9

Peripherie: Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Slew-Mod + Nyogel) + MFG Crosswind Pedals | SimShaker Jetpad | HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone tell me how to turn on the flood light in the Mig-21? All I know how to do is turn on the lights for the instruments and for the lettering.

The black knob (RH68 in the manual) just below the radar on/stby/off switch controls the red flood light and the black knob (RV5) above the RWR-Switch controls the white flood light. But they are not implemented yet in the public versions. We are waiting for ED to push out the next update which should also contain the flood lights for the MiG-21 since they have been implemented internaly as per post #1 of this thread.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Are we getting the floodlights in the 1.5.4 update today??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Looks like the red flood light is very similar:

post-35422-0-64782400-1371536166.jpg

Image found here. It seems to be a salvaged MiG-21S cockpit which is being converted to a simpit.

Would be nice to have that SPO-15 receiver in there lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Can't wait for the pit lighting to be released. First it looks just great :thumbup: Second it's hard to fly the night missions from the campaign. It was great idea to include them, they are really immersive but its a pain to fly IFR when the instruments are not visible.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all