Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

can i run rift s with my system im a little noob and need help thanks!!!

see specs below...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gpu is a little weak , but will get you by until an upgrade is possible . My 1070 runs a CV1 surprisingly well , but i plan to upgrade for a Rift S or higher resolution headset .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

can i run rift s with my system im a little noob and need help thanks!!!

see specs below...

Yeah you should be ok, as noted a little better gpu like a 2080 Ti would certainly do better.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2080t1 is a LITTLE better ? :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'm having a bit of a problem with mine on startup (the PC, not DCS).

My Rift-S is "never" detected on PC startup although USB is NOT suspended (none of them). It doesn't even work with only just the Rift-S sitting on one of the USB 3.0 ports. Both controllers are well recognised on startup. Only way around it is hot re-plugging the USB 3.0 connection. However, when the device is not recognised, after a while the software goes into device setup mode and there it marks that the USB 3.0 is present (as is the HDMI) but the device is not recognised though. Hotpluggin' the USB makes it work again but then i also have to go through the setup steps again.

I've been reading a bit through the Oculus forums where the same issue shows up a few times with no decent solution besides a USB 3.0 PCI board.

Anyone got the same problem and solved it?

I have the issue with having to hot plug my USB every reboot. I do not have to rerun setup, it just starts working. I can plug it back into same port or any other port and everything is good until reboot.

I did have quite a few other issues and did the Safe mode with no networking uninstall, clear all cache files etc... That fixed all kinds of weird issues.

Oculus support has been not very responsive to say the least. I think I will be returning the rift s if there is no fix for this USB thing.

I have the issue with having to hot plug my USB every reboot.

Well, the beta didn't solve that problem.

After a reboot still the same issue:

A8ald1l.png

Solved it by placing a PCI UBS 3.0- 3.1 card in my computer.

This one is recommended by Oculus, i have this one.

No more hot-pluggin' !!!:pilotfly:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Solved it by placing a PCI UBS 3.0- 3.1 card in my computer.

This one is recommended by Oculus, i have this one.

No more hot-pluggin' !!!:pilotfly:

Mine appears to be fixed now as well. My issues was a bit different than yours as I just had to hot plug USB.

The beta + setting the Oculus service to manual start is what did it for me. As long as I wait for all my other services to start before I open Oculus it appears to be working.

Strange, have never had this issue with my Rift S and USB 3 connector. Have used in both my Intel and AsMedia motherboard usb 3 ports and now am running it's USB3 through my virtual link c port on my 2080 Ti. Even have it plugged into a 4 port USB 3 hub with individual cut offs for each port. So when not using Rift S for a while I just shut off it's USB 3 connection.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Mine appears to be fixed now as well. My issues was a bit different than yours as I just had to hot plug USB.

The beta + setting the Oculus service to manual start is what did it for me. As long as I wait for all my other services to start before I open Oculus it appears to be working.

I did try that as well, no joy. Only hot plugging worked.

And i keep it a manuel start, no need to have Oculus running in the background if you are not going to use it.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Strange, have never had this issue with my Rift S and USB 3 connector.
I did read somewhere that it has to do with timings on the USB 3.0 ports. The one i still use (Asrock Z87 Extreme4) is already 6 years old.

I recently did a complete OS re-install trying to clean up pre-installed bloatware and optimize somethings I was having issues with...

Can someone remind what the preferred setting is (with DCS in mind) regarding the Oculus Home "Graphics Preference" setting? "Prioritize Quality"? or "Prioritize Performance"?

My system prior to the re-install was running great from a DCS perspective but I was having weird issues that led to some system instability and I can't recall which setting I used in the past.

Anyone out there with a similar system who can check their system and let me know what's the optimal setting?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

I recently did a complete OS re-install trying to clean up pre-installed bloatware and optimize somethings I was having issues with...

Can someone remind what the preferred setting is (with DCS in mind) regarding the Oculus Home "Graphics Preference" setting? "Prioritize Quality"? or "Prioritize Performance"?

My system prior to the re-install was running great from a DCS perspective but I was having weird issues that led to some system instability and I can't recall which setting I used in the past.

Anyone out there with a similar system who can check their system and let me know what's the optimal setting?

I run my Oculus Home set to "Prioritize Quality". I believe this is mainly just for the Home GFX.

In Nvidia control panel, I have a profile for DCS.exe set to " Prefer Maximum Performance".

All other settings I use the DCS GUI to set them.

Don B

I run my Oculus Home set to "Prioritize Quality". I believe this is mainly just for the Home GFX.

In Nvidia control panel, I have a profile for DCS.exe set to " Prefer Maximum Performance".

All other settings I use the DCS GUI to set them.

Roger that thanks dburne. They are my current settings as well.

Whats weird is that a complete, fresh re-install of Win10 Pro coupled with a focused effort at “optimizing” (based on some lengthy YouTube videos) has netted out slightly better Cinebench and Unigen benchmark scores vs. my pre-built Win10 Home install BUT oddly some weird perf issues/hiccups in DCS. Just trying to nail down what might be different or a missed configuration setting...

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Some useless info for you:

I have owned 2 cv1 in the past and at the end of october I bought myself a rift s very happy after a couple of days I was using the passthrough feature and thought very useful but here's the weird thing I looked around in my room and saw a figure standing next to the cooker ? I removed the head set thinking my brother had come in to pay me a visit, he just lets himself in BUT no one was there.

So I sold on the rift s but after about a week I pulled myself together and bought another which is now on the way lol.

Having some hardware issues (not DCS related)

While in VR the image sometimes slightly shifts left-right (or stutters) when moving my head.

It does not happen on look through mode, only in real VR and in whatever game or environment i'm in.

This didn't happen until today (there was a software update yesterday on the beta channel just before i shut my computer down).

I wanted to have a IL-2 session and since i uninstalled SteamVR a couple of days ago (hadn't had an issue since then), i needed VR Open Composite to run it.

When in cockpit i noticed this slight stutter but it was not like a game stutter but more an image stutter and only when moving my head. If i kept my head still, no issues, smooth landscape passing by.

So i went into Oculus Home and there the same thing happened. Image stutter now and then when looking around (and thus moving my head) but very annoying. Asked my wife to take a turn and she noticed the same without me telling there was a problem. So it seems more like a tracking issue.

Checked hardware plugs (USB, HDMI + headset plug: OK (no solution)

Cleaned the 5 camera's: seems OK (no solution)

In the end i unplugged everything, uninstalled the software, rebooted, plugged everything back in, re-installed the Oculus software again, same thing.

Also no difference between beta and stable Oculus software.

Can the VR OpenComposite runtimes play up in this case?

So i ran a bit out of options here. Return under warranty and get another one?

Edited by Lange_666

I don't know sure sounds like a tracking issue, room lighting ok?

Beta and Stable Oculus software is currently on same version.

Also if it is happening in Oculus Home and in DCS, that would seem to rule out Open Composite being the issue as they are native to the Oculus software.

Have you tried moving the USB to a different USB 3 port?

Don B

Some useless info for you:

I have owned 2 cv1 in the past and at the end of october I bought myself a rift s very happy after a couple of days I was using the passthrough feature and thought very useful but here's the weird thing I looked around in my room and saw a figure standing next to the cooker ? I removed the head set thinking my brother had come in to pay me a visit, he just lets himself in BUT no one was there.

So I sold on the rift s but after about a week I pulled myself together and bought another which is now on the way lol.

Let the guys at Ghost Nation know, they should be interested

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I don't know sure sounds like a tracking issue, room lighting ok?

Beta and Stable Oculus software is currently on same version.

Also if it is happening in Oculus Home and in DCS, that would seem to rule out Open Composite being the issue as they are native to the Oculus software.

Have you tried moving the USB to a different USB 3 port?

Room lightning is OK, i thought first that maybe the separate LED lights in the room could cause the issue (when in Home mode) but the IL-2 issue happend at my desk and there it's indirect light, this gives an equal light overall, so no (or almost no) shadows

I also must cover at least 3 of the camera's before i get a message that there is not enough light.

Switched USB's and HDMI port already during the problem yesterday, no joy.

Guess i will return it today (not bought online so it can go quick) and see what they say, maybe i get a replacement without having to wait to get it fixed since it's only 14 days old.

Solved...

Got a replacement, got home, unpacked, installed it only to find out that i had exactly the same problem...:cry:

So it needed to be on or in my computer, either hardware or software.

First hardware because Oculus software was installed fresh with the new Rift-S. I switched from my new extra USB3.1 PCI board to my old motherboard USB3.0. DANG !!!! Solved (yesterday i only switched USB ports on the PCI card because my other UBS3.0 were occupied (and i found it to much hassle to re-plug them any where else.

Because i placed the PCI USB board right above the power supply i thought of magnetic interference from the power supply. Re-routed some cables and moved it up, same problem, jidder on the USB3.1 not on the USB 3.0.

So now there is the question why didn't i had the same problem the past week on the same ports?

There were 2 software updates, one for the Rift-S (can't tell from which version to which) and the other a double Windows update (cumulative Windows update for 1903 and .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8, also for 1903).

The problem with both 3.1 ports on the USB PCI card came together with a solution for the hotplug problem on my motherboards 3.0 ports. All of a sudden i don't need to hotplug my Rift-S anymore (the new one, maybe a newer version). So one problem led to a solution for the other.

This made me look into the USB drivers for the 3.1 PCI card. They seem to have been updated because now it shows version 1.10 and before it was 1.0. Driver date (Windows own driver, Startech drivers will not install) is 19/6/2019 which used to be older before if i remember correctly.

If i want to get to the bottom of this, i should uninstall the Windows update, block a new update and see if it brings me back to the previous state, need to hot plug on MB's USB3.0 and working PCI USB 3.1 or keep it in this state with a problematic USB 3.1 PCI card (for the Rift-S only and the card is also on the Oculus recommended USB cards list) or revert to a point that Windows will need to be updated to bring it back to this state. For now, i keep this setup (and don't go to the bottom).

Edit: 15/11/2019

Since it's only when the Rift S is hooked up to the PCI USB board and the graphics card also sits on the PCI bis, could it be that these disturb each other?

If yes... how is it possible that it didn't happen on first install of the USB PCI board but only after a week?

Does the .Net Framework update plays a role in this?

Or the Cumulative update KB4517389 which has an update for Microsoft's Hololens?

Edited by Lange_666

Anyone having issues when they are in game and you remove your headset for a minute and put it back on you lose tracking?

Rift S headset.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Anyone having issues when they are in game and you remove your headset for a minute and put it back on you lose tracking?

Rift S headset.

Not a problem on my end.

Don B

Solved...

Edit: 15/11/2019

Since it's only when the Rift S is hooked up to the PCI USB board and the graphics card also sits on the PCI bis, could it be that these disturb each other?

If yes... how is it possible that it didn't happen on first install of the USB PCI board but only after a week?

Does the .Net Framework update plays a role in this?

Or the Cumulative update KB4517389 which has an update for Microsoft's Hololens?

Which pci slot are you using on the motherboard.

If using the other gfx slot check with gpuz to see if your 1080ti is running at full chat on mine the usb card will rob performance from slot 1 if I use slot 2 with the usb card.

Why it worked before no idea :D

If using the other gfx slot check with gpuz to see if your 1080ti is running at full chat on mine the usb card will rob performance from slot 1 if I use slot 2 with the usb card.

I thought of that but couldn't see much difference on the mission i use as a testcase + it would only fit into a GFX slot.

Since it works on the motherboard USB now (without a problem, for now) i removed the PCI USB board again + it was recommended to use an extra (15-pin) power connector on the card. With my current setup, i only have one connector left but with the way everything is hooked up and placed right now, i can't reach the PCI card with that connector. Will need another cable.

It might be possible that the Rift-S drew that much power out of the PCI card that it dipped under a certain tresshold giving me the jidder view when my head (just an assumption, can only tell it this is true if i connect that extra power connector). And then again, why didn't it have this problem in the first week of using it?