Patch 1.0.1

Matt, thanks for the update, looking forward to the patch.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to jump into an already ready-to-fly chopper... :/ It's like letting the hotel boy bring your Bugatti Veyron from parking... 8(

haha good one. :D I was a valet parking boy at High's restaurant in Century City longgggg time ago. That was some good times. Good times... :D

Back on topic. It's May now. :D

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Patch: will there be a better network code?

Hi,

I'm not sure but I think part of the problem about "warping" helicopters in multiplayer mode may be due a not so good interpolation/extrapolation system (am I right?). In any case, is there going to be any fix/update to this issue? right now you really need to have very low latencies to play with others without exagerated warpings.

As a note, I would say that il2 series may have the best network code in flight simulators I've ever seen, you can play without warpings with even more than 200ms pings.

Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Yes, but the fact that with 100+ pings without lost packets helicopters warp all around remains. If you add lost packets then probably there is even more warping. Am I wrong in saying DCS multiplayer perfomance is not up to overall product quality? it's the first version, nothing wrong about it...

The question is the same, is there going to be any fix/update like a better interpolation/extrapolation system or something else?

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

How can you be certain that there are no lost packets?

You need a network sniffer to do analysis on both ends for this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The only answer I can give is because when pings are below 100ms everything is fine and I did pings trying to see packet loose and never find them. I know there might be some packet loose, but I don't think there is. Also, other simulators don't behave like DCS with similar connections, isp, pings, etc. Warping in DCS is a fact I contrasted with many friends.

Edited by Distiler

That isn't necessarily true.

However, that aside, people who have low FPS may warp.

There are likely other causes also. It's not so easy to determine things.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

But you don't either deny network system in DCS is not the best. Can you comment in interpolation/extrapolation in DCS? can DCS be way better in this aspect with moderate effort by ED? is there going to be any update in the patch regarding this or it's all internet's fault?

Edited by Distiler

The only answer I can give is because when pings are below 100ms everything is fine

One note on that: a low ping is usually a symptom of a good (and "short") network route between client and server. A good route is less likely to suffer from packet loss. A higher ping usually means a longer or more complex route, which is usually fine from a packet loss perspective. It may however also indicate a slightly overloaded route, where packet loss would become a more likely problem.

Pinging manually is not a really superb way to look for packet loss - at least if it's the windows standard pinging function that you are using. There's just not enough packets being sent to give a good picture of anything but the most severe of problems. (This can be configured though, so if you did configure that properly, please ignore.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sorry if this is going a bit off topic ;)

General ping or trace uses ICMP - which is good for one thing - to confirm if a route is reachable - and indicate latency.

Lack of ICMP response doesnt mean the route is unreachable, nor does it prove any packetloss. ICMP will in many cases be treated a bit different by some gateways or endpoints. Thats why it's only good as an indicator - not a definitive diagnostic tool.

However, if you are looking for evidence of packetloss you must conduct sniffing of the UDP or TCP traffic.

That being said - you can quite often related "high ping latency" to "poor quality, many hops" etc. and vice versa, good ping latency might even better indicate "great quality".

There are nasty things like blackhole routers, fragment packets being dropped, MTU and all other sorts of effects for someone who want to play DCS:BS. Not all aspects can be controlled by the Netcode in the game unfortunately. :smilewink:

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I never meant to talk about about Internet inherent handicaps, I just wanted to know if the system for interpolating/extrapolating helicopter positions during mp gameplay with high latencies/packet loose was being thought for the patch. Maybe there is one already but it's not good, maybe it's not and they want one for DCS, I don't know.

Just try to make a close formation in il2 with 200ms pings and compare it to DCS with lower latency and check smoothness.

Look, I'm trying to help, not moan. I even suggested a couple of things that are being considered for the patch (upload per player controlled by server and packet size from 1000 to 500) in order to try to help with those issues.

Sorry Distiler - I didnt mean to critize. If it came across as such, please accept my apoligies. :)

I merely tried to bring clarity to the expectations of ping / networks. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Yes Distiler, the point that was being made though is that before a "fix" can be selected and implemented there has to be conclusive evidence as to what is causing the problem. I mean, it might be completely unrelated to any network traffic and just be down to the server's CPU being overworked and therefore not managing to run enough checks.

That is the point - tackling the way the network traffic is being handled will only work if that is indeed the problem - or it may be a problem but there might be bigger ones that need being handled before they can be implemented and so on.

I have faith that when they say they are working on multiplayer stuff they mean it and problably know what they're doing.

EDIT: Ah, and yeah, apologies if my tone came through as combative Distiler. That's not how it was intended. I'm as curious to finding out how it actually works as anyone else.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sounds excellent.

I'd really appreciate transparent threat display (red lamps) in the HUD view along with IKRAN warnings to save pilots having the switch back to cockpit at awkward times...or is that capacity buried there already but outside my capacity.

still working on it.....;) :smartass:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

ED will not release a half-broken patch.

What is your current problem with MP?

Lastly, this sort of rude response tends to make the devs want to talk you less, so how about toning it down. :P

You're not the only one waiting for a patch, and not everyone shares your priorities.

Arrgh....:mad:

No Patch before August?

This means for me: Not flying DCS:BS till then.:( (No patch>no more mp-missions>no flying)

Come on ED, just don't give a f*** on Tracks and Training Missions!!!

WE(Mission Builder&Multiplayer gamer) NEED THAT DAMM PATCH!!!

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No problem IMHO. It's not like the game is unplayable the way it is.

And I personally would rather like to see a late release of the patch and an on-time release of A-10, than the other way around. That my personal preference, though. ;)

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD