No Cloud Shadow Mod

TekaTeka

nocloudshadowlogosq0.jpg

Dedicated to ruggbutt and who hates the shimmering shadows.

for LockOn 1.1x and 1.0x,

LoMan 2.1 and ModMan compatible.

Available at my site

This mod removes the cloud shadows to solve the shimmering shadow problem.

I know this is not the best solution to the problem, but now you have a choice at least; Shimmering shadows or No cloud shadows.

It's normal "Structure Lights Mod" is stated as "Not installed" when this mod is installed.

• Like 4

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

Again, another nice mod TekaTeka, but I must be one of the few people that don't seem to have problems with the cloud shadows, I'll keep mine thanks :thumbup:

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the problem is based on the wrong selection of the mipmap levels. See these pictures. I made a test cloud texture each mipmap level has different color and I got these colored bars.

coloredshadows1tp7.th.jpg coloredshadows2qm2.th.jpg

The mipmap levels should be selected based on the surface size and angle on the screen. But the above pictures tell they are not now. I think the current angle equation has some mistakes. The current calculation returns correct answers only when the camera roll against the terrain is zero. Even a slight roll offset from zero is causing the problem.

Because this happens only on the cloud shadows, the cause of the problem must be in the LockOn side of the codes of the shaders. If this was the video driver or DirectX issue, we should have same type of problems everywhere.

• Like 1

TekaTeka from Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit my site Beyond Visual Range.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Here is the same Mod for Black Shark + FC2

http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules/Downloads/fileuploads/NoCloudShadows.zip

Nate

How do we install this? Hating the shimmering shadows!

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Check the readme included in the zip for details.

I checked the readme, and it states:

"This mod will remove flickering shadows and dancing shadows on the horizon in DCS Black Shark.

Backup your original CLOUDSHADOW.TGA file before installing.

You will find this inside the \[Ka-50 directory]\Bazar\Terrain\Surface\LandTexturesTGA.cdds file.

This mod is based on the Teka Teka mod from Lock On."

I can see the cdds file... but how do I see the .tga file within this .cdds file?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Sniffer,

If you allow me, I prefer to copy the file (CLOUDSHADOW.TGA) to TempTextures instead of start messing with the CDDS files until we are 110% that won´t mess up your instalation. Old habits with FC 1.0 and Modman :music_whistling: :doh:

GunSlingerAUS, just copy the CLOUDSHADOW.TGA into your Bazar/TempTextures dir and it will work for now.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sniffer,

If you allow me, I prefer to copy the file (CLOUDSHADOW.TGA) to TempTextures instead of start messing with the CDDS files until we are 110% that won´t mess up your instalation. Old habits with FC 1.0 and Modman :music_whistling: :doh:

GunSlingerAUS, just copy the CLOUDSHADOW.TGA into your Bazar/TempTextures dir and it will work for now.

Awesome - will do!