Couger MFD - LCD Screen Options

DTWD

No, not in both dimensions. The A-10C MFDs are 5"x5", and the 8" display is ~ 4.76"x6.38". If you were to use the Thrustmaster MFDs, they are smaller so the screen would probably fill those up.

edit: oh you said couger MFDs... sorry in that case I don't really know

Do the 8" screens fill the cougar MFD's perfectly?

They do cover the whole back of it if that's what you ask. If there were 4:3 ratio 7" screens available they would be more perfect fit (smaller size but still would cover the whole of he MFD) but since I havent found any (they are all in wide screen ratio which leaves the vertical bit short) 8" 4:3 are the next best thing.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

They do cover the whole back of it if that's what you ask. If there were 4:3 ratio 7" screens available they would be more perfect fit (smaller size but still would cover the whole of he MFD) but since I havent found any (they are all in wide screen ratio which leaves the vertical bit short) 8" 4:3 are the next best thing.

Yeah, i can't find a 4:3 7" screen either... did you have to adjust the displays at all due to the TM MFD's cutting off info?

8 inch lcd's work perfect for the TM mfd's, or you can buy a touch screen and use our virtual MFD's which are designed just like the real A-10c. ( coming soon)

I have a 7" touchscreen. Stop selling stuff... take out a banner ad!

... either that or make me a beta tester for your stuff and then i'll pimp it for you.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

8 inch lcd's work perfect for the TM mfd's, or you can buy a touch screen and use our virtual MFD's which are designed just like the real A-10c. ( coming soon)

Holy crap!

I just checked your site... you have some effing cool stuff

The F16 panels are awesome! If only they came with all the switches and lights and a way for it to talk to the computer... and instructions... and prefab stuff to mount all the panels on.

That'd be awesome. I wouldn't buy the panels now because i'd have to source all the switches and lights and stuff and work out a way for it to talk to the computer, which is a bit beyond me at the moment... but if it was more of a kit, i could easily have my own F16 cockpit!

That'd rock.

Nice stuff!

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

Yeah, i can't find a 4:3 7" screen either... did you have to adjust the displays at all due to the TM MFD's cutting off info?

Not quite sure what you mean by adjusting?

As in, do the TM MFD's take up any screen real estate and cover some of the information on the screen?

Do you have to resize the information on the screen to fit within the TM MFD bezels?

Holy crap!

I just checked your site... you have some effing cool stuff

The F16 panels are awesome! If only they came with all the switches and lights and a way for it to talk to the computer... and instructions... and prefab stuff to mount all the panels on.

That'd be awesome. I wouldn't buy the panels now because i'd have to source all the switches and lights and stuff and work out a way for it to talk to the computer, which is a bit beyond me at the moment... but if it was more of a kit, i could easily have my own F16 cockpit!

That'd rock.

Nice stuff!

We are trying to get to that point! We are a small group of guys that do this stuff on the side , but we have made some great progress. Currently working on the side consoles and center instrument panel for the f16. The front console will be based on a 23 inch touchscreen for cost, but the side consoles will have panels , switches, and electronics to run the switches.

• Like 1

That is just awesome

How much will it cost all up?

As in, do the TM MFD's take up any screen real estate and cover some of the information on the screen?

Do you have to resize the information on the screen to fit within the TM MFD bezels?

Ah I see what you mean now... yes the screen size of the monitor is more (higer and wider) then MFD cutout. Vertically when you disasamble the monitor the outer dimensions of the MFD are exactly matching the monitor height (the screen is about 3mm less on each end though). Horizontally the screen streches beyond MFD by about 1cm (EDIT: more like 2cm actually) on each end I think.

If you need exact dimensions of the monitors let me know, when I get home I'll measure it.

So yes, you do need to adjust the display and where you want the displayed image to show. I only tried them so far with OpenFalcon 4.7 and using 3rd party software (I forgot its name now)... with this software you can move the window (of there MFD display is shown) anywhere you want and you can resize it... so all you do is start the software... drag the MFD Display window to the 8" and resize to fit the MFD Cougar cutout.

With DCS A-10 (still waiting for this one ;)) you should be able to specify what monitor location you want MFD info displayed, same as in DCS Black Shark... so hopefully should be no problem

Edited by Kuky

Wow lots of post since I was last here.

$400 is right on the limit for me, maybe a bit beyond it, especially as I can't see how I can fit that into my setup.

However the software I will be interested in, but one thing I am interested in, why do you require a touch screen?

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
It will be a stand-alone center console and instrument panel. We will be doing a Modular Cockpit which consist of the Seat, seat mount, Rudder Floor, Center Instrument Console, and lastly Side consoles. Each section can be bought separately over time. We are trying our best to make this affordable and is why we are building parts in a Modular concept. This hobby is comparable to Rc airplanes ( cost) , any full cockpit that works will have a few thousand invested plus electronics.

Sounds awesome Flim :thumbup: Love the modular concept.

Presumably the panels will be designed so that the new Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas will be integrated?

Have to say the Cougar MFDs are fantastic. Either TM's owner or his son are avid simmers, because the product is tailor-made. E.G. I was trying to fit them to my particular set-up, and every time something on the unit got in the way, it turned out to be detachable-in short the unit was reconfigurable (base, hinges etc.) in all the ways I needed it to be to fit my set up. Finally, it's 1:1 to F16 MFDs, which was really surprising to me because of the small size.. I thought the 1:1 was a typo or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have to say the Cougar MFDs are fantastic. Either TM's owner or his son are avid simmers, because the product is tailor-made. E.G. I was trying to fit them to my particular set-up, and every time something on the unit got in the way, it turned out to be detachable-in short the unit was reconfigurable (base, hinges etc.) in all the ways I needed it to be to fit my set up. Finally, it's 1:1 to F16 MFDs, which was really surprising to me because of the small size.. I thought the 1:1 was a typo or something.

That's great to know, I'm definitely gonna get some when the new WH hotas from TM arrives. Shame I don't still play Falcon otherwise I'd have bought some by now. No real call for them in BS or FC2.

Are the A-10C MFDs the same size as the F16? Think I read somewhere that they are bigger?

Are the A-10C MFDs the same size as the F16? Think I read somewhere that they are bigger?

They are bigger, and have more buttons. There is a dimesnsioned drawing somewhere on the forums here. As a starting point, the visible area of the screen inside the bezel is 5 inches by 5 inches.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Spoke too soon-top four buttons on one of the units died :(. I would recommend people hold off until some good patches become available. Unless you play F4, these wont be of much use until DCS A10C comes out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

So, for the front A-10 console you will need a 23 inch Acer touch screen( $300 est)

Hi Film, could you please confirm for me, if the monitor is a normal 23" or a widescreen version. Love what you guys did here, so looking forward to getting the software from you, but 1st need to start looking for a 23" monitor with displayport, so I can run 3 monitors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Hi Film, could you please confirm for me, if the monitor is a normal 23" or a widescreen version. Love what you guys did here, so looking forward to getting the software from you, but 1st need to start looking for a 23" monitor with displayport, so I can run 3 monitors.

Hey Cowboy10uk,

The software will run on any monitor, so it really depends on your setup. Flim and I both run widescreen monitors for our center panel. As you can see in the attached screenshot you can move the panels around and you can size them as necessary to accommodate your pit's setup.

I'm assuming your using an ATI card since your talking about displayport. Keep in mind that you can run the third monitor as VGA with a display port to VGA adapter as all of them are active. They cost about $25 which is MUCH cheaper than a displayport monitor or active DVI. I run a 5870 Eyefinity 6 port card with 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 4 VGA Adapters.

455138464_HeliosScreen.thumb.jpg.5199444106e6c29934e66c8934142a11.jpg

Hey Cowboy10uk,

The software will run on any monitor, so it really depends on your setup. Flim and I both run widescreen monitors for our center panel. As you can see in the attached screenshot you can move the panels around and you can size them as necessary to accommodate your pit's setup.

I'm assuming your using an ATI card since your talking about displayport. Keep in mind that you can run the third monitor as VGA with a display port to VGA adapter as all of them are active. They cost about $25 which is MUCH cheaper than a displayport monitor or active DVI. I run a 5870 Eyefinity 6 port card with 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 4 VGA Adapters.

Hi Gadroc, thanks for your quick answer. That sounds like it will work wonderfully. In answer to your question, yes I've got the 5850, which only has 3 connections, at moment im using 2 23" widescreen on dvi, I've tried running a 3rd monitor using VGA adapters with no luck, closest I came was a semi passive adapter which cost about $45, sadly that stopped working after 2 months. Hence why I figure if im going to get this to work, I really need to go for the displayport. However I see Amd has just realised a cable for $30, only works unto 1920 x 1200, but if all I need is another output to a monitor, for your software. It might just do it.

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: