Very interesting....

http://www.eng.defender-global.com/products/game/gamepad/cobra-m5-usb/#

32XU9-4V70M-Y4M2XZ-1HD0.jpg

The picture looks to me like a render-image and the page says: "coming soon"

EDIT:

Tried to send a question

Hi,

Sorry - cant speak Russian.

I'm very interested in the coming Defender Cobra M5 USB .

I'm a simulation enthusiast and looking ahead to purchase this stick!

I want to use it in the DCS-Series with the Su25/Su27/Ka-50/Mig-29.

Would you be so kind and translate the product description in English and post it at this link:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1252962 ?

And give more info about how the different stage trigger works - dose it work the same like in the stick that is used in the Mig-29/Su-27 ?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

at the site http://www.eng.defender-global.com/support/hotline/?id=305 to them - but whatever I tried I got

"Error!!! Fill in all required fields."

And I'm very sure that I filled everything correctly!

Has anyone more info about this sexy looking hardware (as sexy as a SU-27)...?

(Estimate release date / price / ect. )

Goggle translate of the specifications:

Features:

Cobra M5 USB - professional gaming joystick for the PC.

Non-contact magnetic positioning technology M-Force. Through the use of special sensors that react to changes in the magnetic field while rotating the joystick handle, we could abandon the contact details of the return mechanism in steering. This allows for stunning accuracy, reliability, and lack devices dead zones.

The special design of hammer ClusterFireTM supporting multiple rocket launchers. The special design hammer a player can use either the main weapon, or minor, or if required by the situation on the battlefield, both types of weapons simultaneously.

23 programmable buttons, including 2 trigger ClusterFireTM. Physically, the player can 7 buttons, plus two trigger ClusterFire. In fact, thanks to the three management regimes, the player will see a combination of 23 buttons. Also Cobra M5 USB features a unique folding third trigger.

Three control modes (manual switch): melee, ranged combat, maneuvering.

The four-axis positioning of gas, roll, yaw and pitch. To adjust the rod has a special lever (handle traction control).

The massive metal base for added stability.

Ergonomically designed handle with rubberized coating.

Easy installation (Plug & Play). To work need not install drivers.

Technical specifications:

Connectivity: USB 2.0

Hat switch: 4

Amount of buttons: 23, including 2 trigger ClusterFire ™ (7 physical buttons + 2 pull)

D-pad: 8-way

Compatibility: Windows XP/Vista/7

Weight: 1.65 KG

Power supply: 5V from USB-connection

Cord length: 1.2 m

Update:

Sokol1_br made some really interesting postings in this thread:

King Cobra

a%3E

a%3E

a%3E

attachment.php?attachmentid=142020&d=1317709262

Metal gimbal, with bearings.

joystick.gif

Sokol1_Br

This King Cobra is a improved (WiP) version of Cobra M5, created and sold by VKB:

Aluminium gimbal with ball bearings

2 types of springs - different stiffness - changeable

Triggers and HAT's in metal

The ring under palm rest allow: lock twist rudder, adjust height in 30mm, adjust horizontal angle of grip and exchange grip for another model, ie Su-27

New USB controller:

- Ability to update firmware via USB

- 2 axis Digital Mars (X, Y) with 2048 samples

- 2 analog axis with 1024 samples

- 4 universal axis, working with Mars and with analog pot's.

- 32 buttons

- Possibility of increasing the number of buttons to 128 through the connection of expansion cards (cable up to 2 meters).

- Support for seat (Gametrix) JeatSeat (the system seen the controller as a joystick King Cobra with ForceFeedback). FFB effects play in seat.

http://www.gametrix.ru/products/category/4

attachment.php?attachmentid=141985&d=1317643416

This new metal gimbal is compatible with Defender Cobra M5 and electronics.

This Cobra M5 design was created by members of Sukhoi forum around three years ago, so the "Russian style". thumbup.gif

[...]

idea.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=142419&d=1318160164

Sokol1_Br

Edit:

Edited by PeterP

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link!!

here is all relevant info I have found :

Sokol1 :

Falstar,

This stick - Defender - can be sold by Gametrix.ru in next mouths.

Is a project made by guy called Groomi developed with opinion of Sukhoi forum users some years ago - what explain the Mig lookalike. wink%21.gif

Some info: http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=69172&page=1

Is a entry level joystick, with MaRS sensor in X and Y, conventional pots in twist rudder and in throttle dial in left side of base.

Seem that gimbal system is similar to used in CH joystick (considered, by UIV - related with VKB Rudder pedal project - the best/durable of mass production joysticks).

The electronics, with MaRS sensor is already tested in VKB Rudder Pedal since 2001.

One interesting feature of the joystick design (IMO) is the dual trigger.

kurok.gif

Early prototype:

defenderproto4.th.jpg

"Russian things". smile%21.gif

Sokol1

[...]

Some info about Defender Cobra joystick:

USB circuit based in ATMEGA8 (if you know, a "Mjoy8"), MaRS (contactless sensor) in X and Y - ordinary pots in rudder and throttle.

Plastic gimbal (mechanics similar to one found in RC radios - or CH joysticks) like other entry-level joystick:

defender3.jpg

defender2a.jpg

No programing software, but a MODE switch that allow 23 different function in 9/10 buttons.

defender1u.jpg

Same for stand alone throttle.

Obvious, not a high end solution like Warthog, G-940, X-65, etc. But a entry-level stick with better electronics and a different (ruski look) style. wink%21.gif

Sokol1

[...]

Accord guys in Sukhoi forum in Russian market is around 60/70 U$.

In my country (le Brasil) was announced for around 180 U$ - unknow if only stick or HOTAS - price "normal" sice here a X-52 vanila cost > 350 U$...

Sokol1

I also got a answer from the product-manager from Defender (the poor guy must have got about 15 e-mails from me because it every-time showed "Error!!!" when I hit the send button :) ):

Dear Peter,

Nice to meet you. Well, actually we got English variant of the site http://www.defender-global.com/ . There is Cobra M5 page on it too. Right now it is also in Russian but soon (I believe this is a matter of a week) we'll translate it into English. Hope it will be suitable for you. Will you be able to paste it on the requested website by yourself?

Best regards,

Yuri Virich

Lead product manager

Defender Company

More pictures of Prototype/Pruduct:

attachment.php?attachmentid=135485&d=1307343921

Edited by PeterP

hehehe

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 1 month later...

Great news, that joystick looks awesome, now we just need a dual throttle with a lot of hat switches. :thumbup:

Anyone has a link with firts user's impressions.

Saludos (Cheers)

Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Quick Countermeasure Editor v1.3.0

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

Trifles make perfection?

Best company motive I have ever seen.

Stick looks like it will sit nicely on my desk (proposed prices aren't too bad either).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] AEF Flesh | 161 SQN

System: 965BE / 5850 Toxic / TrackIR 5 Pro / 120gb Corsair Force 3 GT / 2TB Raid10 / 6GB RAM /TM HOTAS Warthog / G13 / Combat Rudder Pedals..... and lots more :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its nice, and i m all for it, but really.... i cant have 34 joys in my house by pure lack of space.

What would it take for the damn thrustmaster eggheads to release a russian grip (not even a throttle) or free someone to "build under license".

Seriously, between the Cougars and Warthogs you can bet you have public to make a nice profit.... If we believe the SN out there for the warthog, you have more or less 3k sold and active, take the FC user, and it wouldn t be that idiot (i think) to think you would at least sell a K of them.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Is that a mod or a newer version of the joystick?

Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Quick Countermeasure Editor v1.3.0

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

Looks like a new version.

This King Cobra is a improved (WiP) version of Cobra M5, created and sold by VKB:

Aluminium gimbal with ball bearings

2 types of springs - different stiffness - changeable

Triggers and HAT's in metal

The ring under palm rest allow: lock twist rudder, adjust height in 30mm, adjust horizontal angle of grip and exchange grip for another model, ie Su-27

New USB controller:

- Ability to update firmware via USB

- 2 axis Digital Mars (X, Y) with 2048 samples

- 2 analog axis with 1024 samples

- 4 universal axis, working with Mars and with analog pot's.

- 32 buttons

- Possibility of increasing the number of buttons to 128 through the connection of expansion cards (cable up to 2 meters).

- Support for seat (Gametrix) JeatSeat (the system seen the controller as a joystick King Cobra with ForceFeedback). FFB effects play in seat.

http://www.gametrix.ru/products/category/4

attachment.php?attachmentid=141985&d=1317643416

This new metal gimbal is compatible with Defender Cobra M5 and electronics.

This Cobra M5 design was created by members of Sukhoi forum around three years ago, so the "Russian style". :thumbup:

VKB is a enterprise of Russian simmers, they first product is the all metal (14 bearings) with Digital MaRS sensor MK-18 Rudder:

DSCF2957_resize.jpg

http://www.vkb-flightsimcontrols.com/produkt/mk18_3.php

I think that replacement grip to joysticks, ie Warthog is not viable due cost.

Accord guys in Sukhoi Forum this Cobra M5 grip molds cost - in China - around 150.000U$. I read that Logitech G-940 HOTAS molds cost 200/250.000U$.

Sokol1_Br

• Like 1

I think that replacement grip to joysticks, ie Warthog is not viable due cost.

Accord guys in Sukhoi Forum this Cobra M5 grip molds cost - in China - around 150.000U$. I read that Logitech G-940 HOTAS molds cost 200/250.000U$.

This King Cobra version looks much better than the regular M5. Any words on the pricing?

But, regarding the molding costs, I don't think that's relevant for the Warthog replacement grip discussion - they could reuse the current mold for the sticks and replace the gimbals with a Thrustmaster compatible adapter (including the adapted control signaling). Not trying to get into the feasibility studies here (or e.g. whether the new stick would work with Thrustmaster software or not), just trying to point out that the molds are not the blocking point IMHO as they are already there.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Well, they just need a nice russian throttl, a decent distribution and Thrustmaster get a horsekick in the groins,

Guys, i just want to make things clear: from russian forums i understood that VKB is working on two things: first is mechanic for Defender Cobra M5 (solution for "budget" joystick), second is King-Cobra - completely new joystick, which has in common with Cobra only look of the stick. King-Cobra is going to be a "child" of VKB, no Defender.

Edited by Serxio_

I would rather be able to appreciate things i cannot have than to have things i am not able to appreciate.

© Elbert Hubbard

Лучше я буду ценить вещи, которые не могу иметь, чем иметь вещи, которые не могу ценить.

(с) Эльберт Хаббарт.

Thats a good competitor for the X52. Wished it had a throttle to go along.

it would be interesting to see similar products but on a higher end of the spectrum.

Anyway it will be hard to dislodge my WH from my desk (for now). :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Any new, serious stick should have Force Feedback technology. Will Cobra have it?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Any new, serious stick should have Force Feedback technology. Will Cobra have it?

No. Not this one. Maybe later VKB will do FFB stick, but King-Cobra is being done without FFB. On russian forum people were asking about FFB and one of the reason VKB didn't develop FFB joysticks is patent's payment for using FFB.

I would rather be able to appreciate things i cannot have than to have things i am not able to appreciate.

© Elbert Hubbard

Лучше я буду ценить вещи, которые не могу иметь, чем иметь вещи, которые не могу ценить.

(с) Эльберт Хаббарт.

The only HOTAS that came out with FFB is crap. FFB is hugely overrated for what it gives and the disavantages that it has. Thats why the highest end serious HOTAS dont have it, like the hog and the X65.

No. Not this one. Maybe later VKB will do FFB stick, but King-Cobra is being done without FFB. On russian forum people were asking about FFB and one of the reason VKB didn't develop FFB joysticks is patent's payment for using FFB.

Thank god for that.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals