TDC slew as button

Beamscanner

When using the TDC mapped to buttons, the TDC will not slew diagonally, nor does it slew as smoothly and quickly as it does in other modules (say the F-15C).

Background:

The TDC will slew at different speeds depending on how far an analog axis is pushed. When the TDC is assigned to an axis, this works very well. However, digital on/off buttons do not have different magnitudes of input.

Poor diagonal slew:

Unlike the DCS F-15C cursor slew, the DCS F/A-18C slew struggles to move diagonally. This could be related to the issue below.

Cursor speed and smoothness:

When the TDC is assigned to buttons, and the TDC is pressed, the slew starts moving slowly and then speeds up. Additionally, quickly switching between directions on the TDC restarts the speed-up processes making the cursor slow again. This variation is undesirable with on/off buttons as it does not make the TDC control smooth (due cursor speed variation) and slow (due to the initial slow slew movement, and remaining slow if you change directions)

Below is video of the DCS F-15C and F/A-18C slew rates using the same input device. Note the smoothness and constant speed of the F-15's TDC. Also, note how much easier it is to make the F-15's TDC move diagonally.

DCS F/A-18C:

SilkyGrossAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Video link: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/SilkyGrossAllosaurus

DCS F-15C:

HairyLimpHogget-size_restricted.gif

Video link: https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/HairyLimpHogget

The forum will not let me upload files that I've already uploaded. Thus, the log and track can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3594751&postcount=1

Its from the same flight

Edited by Beamscanner

I think the biggest issue still is that the TDC starts out in the top left corner. Takes ages to get it on a target and despite the patch notes listing AACQ working, it doesn't. But that's another issue on it's own.

I'd really like to know from one of the many real Hornet drivers on this board if it's the real deal to have the TDC always reset to the top left corner...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I think the biggest issue still is that the TDC starts out in the top left corner. Takes ages to get it on a target and despite the patch notes listing AACQ working, it doesn't. But that's another issue on it's own.

I'd really like to know from one of the many real Hornet drivers on this board if it's the real deal to have the TDC always reset to the top left corner...

I don't mind the cursor being in the top left corner (parked position) when I start ATTK RDR, but I hate it when after "releasing" a target, the damn cursor flies up to the top left...Why can't it just stay where you had it?

I don't mind the cursor being in the top left corner (parked position) when I start ATTK RDR, but I hate it when after "releasing" a target, the damn cursor flies up to the top left...Why can't it just stay where you had it?

Exactly.

To identify a target you have to lock it (currently), see its friendly, un-lock, cursor goes to the top left, then drag it all the way down (much harder with TDC button bug where it doesnt move diagonally) and lock something else, and repeat.

Such a pain.

If I get more than 3 targets on scope it will take forever.

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

Maybe the starting question should be what happens in the real F18?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

TDC button slew rate, acceleration and that "it starts to accelerate from 0 over again when I change the slew direction" issue have always been the same for any module since I'm flying ED sims (2003: LOMAC, but in 2002 I took some glances at Flanker 2.5.1 as well), so I highly doubt it's exactly the same in the real thing.

I've been bringing up the "TDC not centered or at last position" issue because with that solved, the other ones would be much less prevalent.

By the way, I tried mapping them to the TM WH slew sticky thing with the result that the AUTO bombing TDC on the HUD keeps wandering even when I don't move that thing. No problem in other modules and also the radar seems OK, and I also tried excessively high deadzones to see if it kinda spikes around zero, but it doesn't. In that case it's even worse having to go back to simple buttonesque coolie hat usage. It's kinda like trying to fly DCS with a Competition Pro stick. So I'm completely with you regarding the wishes. And those slew axes need to being looked at by the devs.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

If this is the real function of the Hornet's TDC (slew speed, starting position, etc...) what a terrible design.

Great original post, by the way!

TDC axis is analog, not digital. So this is not how it works IRL.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 6 months later...

Can someone help me, I can slew the TDS onto target ok but agree starting in top left is a pain. It then says press to lock but that doesn’t work for me is there a hotas button I’m missing here to avoid pressing enter to lock? Appreciate any help

Ian

• 10 months later...

What are some typical axis settings for the TDC slew ? Mine moves way too fast.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]