Discrepancy in Visual Perception of Range

Discrepancy in Visual Perception of Range depending on Cockpit versus Chase View.

I have two series (P-51D and A-10A) of Screen-Captures (screen-shots) at the exact same moment in time from two separate perspectives:

- From In Cockpit

- From a Chase Position

For Both Aircraft scenarios (both on Final Approach), the View from inside the Cockpit appears further away than the View from just outside just aft in a close Chase position. The aft Chase position visually appears to be from a much closer range.

Curious: Any idea why DCS World Modules produce this slightly different perspective (on range) depending on Viewing Position ? Are there any settings I'm missing or need to configure differently ?

BVR

Igor4U !

1609378030_P-51DPerspective.thumb.jpg.8b193c1563322a11a44264e02473d16a.jpg

894381588_A-10APerspective.thumb.jpg.8eb11d6d79a6cc9b00793ad68925e18d.jpg

It's the difference in your field of view. Notice the cropping of the terrain at the sides in the chase view. Even though you are "zoomed-out" of the cockpit and behind the aircraft, your view is in fact zoomed-in.

You can notice this when you're watching a basketball/football/soccer/etc game. Sometimes the goal seems really far away, and sometimes you're wondering how they could miss the shot because it seems like it's 3 ft away.

To put it simply: FoV.

The default field of view of the outside view is lower than the cockpit one (you can see that easily in the Mustang pictures: the building at the far right of the outside view is barely on the "right window" of the canopy).

The cockpit FoV makes sense, because you can see more of your cockpit, and have better situational awareness.

It does however make it difficult to spot smaller objects, and especially other aircraft.

OK - I get it !

The Outside View with the narrower FOV (stretched across the same Width Display) makes things appear Closer. And the Reverse be true for the Cockpit View with its Wider FOV.

Can Inside/Outside Views be synchronized with the Same FOV ?

I'm guessing not; but I'm pretty new to DCS World.

PS: Thank you Gentlemen for Cluing me In !

Unfortunately due to my lack of knowledge in the matter I can't tell you exactly how, but I can send you in the right direction :)

FoV, default snapview etc can be adjusted by simply editing their values for each individual a/c in the following LUA:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DCS World\Config\View

I strongly recommend to open/edit them with Notepad++ ( free software ), Backup original files and other than that you are free to fiddle with them :)!

Next Defaultsnapview can also be changed IG ( zooming out or in, moving the "pilots head" up and down, ( adjusting the size of the HUD in russian a/c ) With Ralt + Num 0 once you have chosen a comfortable position.

You can adjust your seat with Rctrl+Rshift+ Num keys to move around.

Hope this helps!

-----------------

Edit: Mixed up Right and Left ;)

Edited by JulienBlanc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

related but not "entirely" related..

i was wondering if we could modify the default zoom level in the F10 view?

does anybody know??

(do not intend to hijack the thread - feel free to PM me if you want..)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK - Figured it Out !

OK - I got the internal view (in Cockpit) and the external view (aft chase position) to synch up in terms of how far away something appears to be. Yes - it was the Field of View (FOV) being different for the two viewing perspectives.

The file you want to modify (and place in your USER Folder - NOT in the Main DCS World Install Location) is:

C:\DCS World\Config\View\View.lua

Here is the change I made to applicable line controlling External FOV:

ExternalViewAngleDefault = 75.0 <---------(Changed to 75, originally my default was 60 degrees FOV - not sure if DCS World sets the default based on your Monitor's Aspect Ratio)

*** Now let's see how this works out tactically when using this wider FOV with external viewing positions. Will get back on this if I encounter degraded employment issues.

==========================================================

NOTE: DO NOT EDIT stock game files.

You local changes should go to C:\Users\<YOUR PROFILE>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\

Please, copy the file(s) to this folder (create if neccessary) and keep your changes there.

• Like 1

Easier Way to Synch Internal and External FOVs

My Previous Attempt at synching FOV (External = Internal) seems unreliable (that is editing the View.lua file); it doesn't always seem to work.

So here is an easier way:

- When External (Outside Aircraft); Zooming in in out is in reference to the Aircraft. The Scenery (World) FOV doesn't change. So External FOV is Fixed.

- When using Internal View (Pilot looking out of Cockpit); Zooming in/out does change Scenery (World) FOV does in fact change. Rather than just zooming in/out on the HUD and Instrument Panel, the Swath of earth viewed changes in FOV.

So the key is to Zoom the Cockpit View (IN) and then cross-check the External (Aft Chase Position) until object in the distance are the same size (things external to the aircraft look exactly the same distance away).

I have a matching set of A-10A screen-shots where I've synched up(internal and external) FOV.

The only trouble is the Cockpit (Internal) View has to be Zoomed in quite a bit. In reality the Pilot would see quite more of the cockpit and instrument panel. But I like things to look alike (same distance away) when I'm switching between inside and outside vies.

1130323489_MatchingFOVInternalandExternal.thumb.jpg.95f9b2298d60ff8e677fbe5668fdb52a.jpg

Discrepancy in Visual Perception of Range depending on Cockpit versus Chase View.

I have two series (P-51D and A-10A) of Screen-Captures (screen-shots) at the exact same moment in time from two separate perspectives:

- From In Cockpit

- From a Chase Position

For Both Aircraft scenarios (both on Final Approach), the View from inside the Cockpit appears further away than the View from just outside just aft in a close Chase position. The aft Chase position visually appears to be from a much closer range.

Curious: Any idea why DCS World Modules produce this slightly different perspective (on range) depending on Viewing Position ? Are there any settings I'm missing or need to configure differently ?

BVR

Igor4U !

Well if you ask me it looks backwards the further View away from tha Airbase looks closer?? I look at it this way when I am in a car driving and I move back further like we do when we change the FOV I don't see anything in the distance get Smalller..

I made a post and was told that is the way it is supposed to work.. I don't think so.. I will need to double check but I don't think it happens in F4 BMS 4.32..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

You can't apply what happens in the real world with your eyes to what happens on a two dimensional monitor screen which has a three dimensional world projected onto it though

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

RCTRL / or * in external Views will fix this :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Well if you ask me it looks backwards the further View away from tha Airbase looks closer?? I look at it this way when I am in a car driving and I move back further like we do when we change the FOV I don't see anything in the distance get Smalller..

I made a post and was told that is the way it is supposed to work.. I don't think so.. I will need to double check but I don't think it happens in F4 BMS 4.32..

I wouldn't say it's the way it's supposed to work, but it is the difference between a first- and third-person view that each have their own intended purpose. Like SkateZilla said, you can zoom in and out to your liking with RCTRL+numpad / and *

Modified to my Satisfaction (for Now)

I make a few modifications to my View.lua and my (in Users-Saved Games-DCS World) SnapViews.luan Files.

I edited some of the FOV settings as follows:

In
SnapViews.lua
(for both A-10A and P-51D)

[6] = {--LWin + Num5 : Snap View 5

viewAngle =
.000000,--FOV

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle =
.000000,--FOV

In View.lua

ExternalViewAngleDefault =

Attaching Screenshots comparing Cockpit and External (Aft in Chase) Vies for both A-10A and P-51D. My goal was to synronize views to keeps things looking the same distance away while I switch from interior to exteriors views and then back again.

Are there any Tactical Implications here that would degrade combat effectiveness ?

1771636576_A-10ACockpitampExternalViewafterModify.thumb.jpg.aacfa00dfc9b910f36aa8c2de819c15e.jpg

1662129970_P-51DCockpitampExternalViewafterModify.thumb.jpg.a88a1d83e30eab7eb783793efdc8b881.jpg

I wouldn't say it's the way it's supposed to work, but it is the difference between a first- and third-person view that each have their own intended purpose. Like SkateZilla said, you can zoom in and out to your liking with RCTRL+numpad / and *

Yes

But my Problem with that is when I Zoom out everything in the foreground either gets so small I can't see it or it disappears completely..

Please see my thread on the Runway lines disappearing..

I don't want to hijack the OP Thread..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2