TrackIR - Stuttering under 120fps

I have contacted NaturalPoint, but at this stage they seem unable to replicate the issue I am having.

Basically, when my framerate drops below 120fps I start to get a consistent jerkiness/stutter when panning around with TrackIR. At 90fps, the game itself runs perfectly smooth, but looking around looks like a slideshow.

This doesn't happen when using the joystick hats to look around, it's perfectly smooth.

The problem is present with both gsync, vsync, and no sync.

I have totally reformatted, reinstalled windows, new videocard, monitor, ram and ssd (basically a new computer now!). Problem is still present. The game itself runs smooth as butter, but panning around is a slideshow with TrackIR, unless I get the framerate over 120fps. When this happens, trackIR is super smooth, no stuttering.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have not noticed such an issue, but then I rarely get FPS at or above 100. Please keep the community informed as you search out the issue and solution. Do not discount the possibility that you are the possessor of a faulty TrackIR device. Do you have another available perhaps to try a comparison?

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

My old rig went up to 144fps and I had no issues with TrackIR5-Pro.

Maybe try a diff GPU driver, I had no real luck with anything that came past 368.81 ( http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105033 ).

De-install the current driver with the newest DDU in SAFE MODE as described in DDU ( http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html ).

Good luck mate

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks guys, yes I've tried different drivers, but had no luck. I'm fairly sure it's a compatibility issue with Gsync/TrackIR/DCS. I found a thread from earlier this year where someone with a gsync monitor described exactly the same issue with TrackIR:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157406

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys, yes I've tried different drivers, but had no luck. I'm fairly sure it's a compatibility issue with Gsync/TrackIR/DCS. I found a thread from earlier this year where someone with a gsync monitor described exactly the same issue with TrackIR:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157406

If it was a compatibility issue as you assume, this forum would be full of threads like yours and there was no exception for anyone.

Apparently it is not such and I would look inside my Hardware & Software and try to locate the problem there.

Could well be a stupid USB hiccup ( TrackIR is USB tied ) or system driver issue correlated with USB

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You might be right, but I'm running out of things to try.

Tried 2 monitors - gsync/non-gsync

Tried 2 video cards - 970/1070

Tried 2 different 16GB DDR3 kits - 1 1600, 1 2400

Tried 2 different SSD's - two different brands and sizes

Tried 6 different USB slots - 3.0 and 2.0

Tried 2 different OS - 8.1 and 10

Tried a fresh install of OS, and DCS

Tried various drivers, firmware etc.

Tried different Nvidia and game settings, including vsync, gsync, no sync

Clean install of windows and DCS, including formatting all drives, three times now.

No issues with stuttering with DCS, or other 3D applications - stuttering only occurs in conjunction with trackIR/DCS

Any suggestions that I haven't already tried?

Edited by hughlb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You might be right, but I'm running out of things to try.

Tried 2 monitors - gsync/non-gsync

Tried 2 video cards - 970/1070

Tried 2 different 16GB DDR3 kits - 1 1600, 1 2400

Tried 2 different SSD's - two different brands and sizes

Tried 6 different USB slots - 3.0 and 2.0

Tried 2 different OS - 8.1 and 10

Tried a fresh install of OS, and DCS

Tried various drivers, firmware etc.

Tried different Nvidia and game settings, including vsync, gsync, no sync

Clean install of windows and DCS, including formatting all drives, three times now.

No issues with stuttering with DCS, or other 3D applications - stuttering only occurs in conjunction with trackIR/DCS

Any suggestions that I haven't already tried?

Try deleting your Nvidia Profile for TrackIr if you have one, don't create a new one and give it a try. I was suffering from some sort of juddering with TIR, deleting the profile from both Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia Inspector did the trick.

Damn, you went thru a lot of pain as I can read to try to find what you dont even know what it is and where to find.....welcome to PC troubleshooting.

I fix PC's for like 2 decades now and as a general rule of thumb, keep it simple, strip it down so you have less choices and possibilities. EVERYTHING that is NOT MANDATORY is taken out. Avoids lots of trouble, from drivers to cables.

Test your TiR on a complete 2nd PC ! ..just to verify your TiR is not faulty.

USB issues can be subtile and some can hardly be fixed by endusers if its an implementation issue.

My personal tip would be a lesser Asrock USB implementation to be the root cause. YOu wouldnt be able to fix it but with a Bios update.

Try on another PC and/or add a USB-PCIe card and check from that connector. I think the Asrock mobo/Bios is not doing what and how it should. ..but that's just a guessing of mine.

Have you checked with usblogview http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html to see what happens when using trackir?

Maybe it helps to see if there is an usb problem.

usbdeview ( USB device View ) is also a good and valid tool to analyse USB behaviour.

Thanks for your suggestions, yes it's been a long process of elimination, but I'm still unclear about where the problem is. I will check out usblogview now, didn't know about that. Hopefully it gives some indication to what might be happening.

Good thinking on a possible Asrock usb issue. After trying the usb 2.0/3.0 slots on the back of the case, I now have trackIR running through the inputs at the front of my case. Would a usb pci-e card circumvent any asrock problems? If so, I might try it tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have 5 and I'm running the latest software version from NaturalPoint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hughlb,

I saw your post on the naturalpoint forums, I was hoping they would have some ideas, but it sounds like we have to troubleshoot the issue some more. On a good note my performance has improved, unfortunately I've made so many changes I'm not sure if it was the latest update that helped. The last two things I did before the last update was to delete the maxfps=180 line from the lua file in graphics, and overclock my card. I still get the stuttering but it's not as bad as before. I'll also try the usblogview and report back if I find something.

i7-4790k stock 4.4 / gtx 980ti / 16gb ram / 256gb ssd (os) / 256gb ssd for apps / Acer XB27OHU 27" g-sync

hughlb,

I saw your post on the naturalpoint forums, I was hoping they would have some ideas, but it sounds like we have to troubleshoot the issue some more. On a good note my performance has improved, unfortunately I've made so many changes I'm not sure if it was the latest update that helped. The last two things I did before the last update was to delete the maxfps=180 line from the lua file in graphics, and overclock my card. I still get the stuttering but it's not as bad as before. I'll also try the usblogview and report back if I find something.

Hi mmtaraval, good to make contact with you. Like you, I deleted the maxfps=180 line, and I agree, it helped quite a lot. Can we compare hardware/software? I wouldn't mind seeing if we have a common piece of hardware (other than trackIR), that might be causing the issue.

What motherboard do you have?

What peripherals are you running?

Do you have this problem in other trackIR applications?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am rebuilding mine soon and hope not to have to solve the same problem !

When you find the root cause, publish it please so others get over it faster :)

I will certainly pass it on. Would you be able to answer those above questions as best you can? Right now you are the only person who I can check with. NaturalPoint are trying to source a gsync monitor to check the problem, but until they do, it's on my shoulders.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Motherboard is an Asus maximus vii hero. I have a powered usb hub that runs a warthog hotas stick and throttle, the trackir is plugged directly to the pc. Currently DCS is the only program I use with trackir. hughlb, your thread has motivated me to set off on another troubleshooting/tweaking session this weekend. I'll post any knew findings.

i7-4790k stock 4.4 / gtx 980ti / 16gb ram / 256gb ssd (os) / 256gb ssd for apps / Acer XB27OHU 27" g-sync

Motherboard is an Asus maximus vii hero. I have a powered usb hub that runs a warthog hotas stick and throttle, the trackir is plugged directly to the pc. Currently DCS is the only program I use with trackir. hughlb, your thread has motivated me to set off on another troubleshooting/tweaking session this weekend. I'll post any knew findings.

Thanks for getting back to me. How about mouse and keyboard? Are you running Windows 10?

Given that our problems are identical, and given the main common thread is Gsync - it still looks like it's a gsync/nvidia compatibility issue. I also only have 1 trackIR application (DCS). So I haven't been able to test the issue in another game. If there is no problem in another game, then it becomes a DCS/Gsync/TrackIR issue. I have taken a ticket out with ED, it might be an idea to do the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input BitMaster. Unfortunately that thread discusses a problem with general stutter. I would like to clarify, that I don't actually get any stutter with the game itself (or any other game for that matter).

The problem that mmtaraval and I are getting is stutter when looking around - as in TrackIR itself is stuttering when panning. When I hold my head still, everything is smooth. When I use the joystick hats to pan around, everything is smooth. It's just looking around with TrackIR, when the framerate is less than 120fps.

Any other suggestions? I have contacted ED but I have not heard back from them in some time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...
Update - I set pre-rendered frames to 4 and the panning stutters are now mostly gone! I'll upload screenshots of the specifics soon.

Interesting, I'm still suffering from this stutters. I deal with them, but setting your pre-rendered frames to 4 will add input lag, no?

Wow ! Almost a year since the creation of this thread and still no confirmation of the problem's origin, this is insane. I can only have respect for such a dedication to solve the problem.

You spent a good amount of time trying every solution in your reach, but the one you never mentioned is the use of another TrackIR ; have you been able to try another one with your setup ? What if the problem was the peripheral itself ?

Really hope you can find the answer to your problem and enjoy fully the head tracking system within DCS.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Wow ! Almost a year since the creation of this thread and still no confirmation of the problem's origin, this is insane. I can only have respect for such a dedication to solve the problem.

You spent a good amount of time trying every solution in your reach, but the one you never mentioned is the use of another TrackIR ; have you been able to try another one with your setup ? What if the problem was the peripheral itself ?

Really hope you can find the answer to your problem and enjoy fully the head tracking system within DCS.

I can assure you that the problem is DCS, and not the hardware or software. Trying everything, full reinstall, motherboard bios update, ......and I'm sure of me because ROF or Elite Dangerous, to name them, works great with TIR, despite the FPS fluctuation. Only DCS give me trouble.