Collective stick mods

Anyone modifying their second stick to become more collective-like?:pilotfly:

I guess you could just do it by removing the handle and putting in some kind of angled piece and then putting it togheter again... to get the right feeling.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

There was a X52 throttle mod by 'urze' converted to collective. I'm using the vanilla throttle as collective, not the real thing but I got used to it. You just have to switch it in your head that throttle full forward is not full burner and try to be more gentle with it.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Here is the link to URZE's collective mod on the old Lockon forums (<- sounds odd saying that :) )

I've ordered one from him after making my own diy collective from a plastic broom handle and duct tape to try out with FSX...!

It worked great, I'll let you know how URZE's is when I get it...

:joystick:

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is the link to URZE's collective mod on the old Lockon forums

:joystick:

I can't spare my new stick to do that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

If you buy a completed one from him, there is nothing at risk...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mmm... that sort of mod is probably a bit too much for me as I don't have a throttle :p

I'm thinking about just using one of my regular sticks as a collective, angling it and leangthening the stick between the handle and base.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

There was a X52 throttle mod by 'urze' converted to collective. I'm using the vanilla throttle as collective, not the real thing but I got used to it. You just have to switch it in your head that throttle full forward is not full burner and try to be more gentle with it.
It was x45 ;) I'm not gonna brake my x52 but i believe I should at least invert throttle right?

Yeah, that's right, that's what I do now...

Honestly, try out strapping a 30 cm pole of some type to the side of your throttle... Flying Helicopters in FSX was much easier with it, and that's what convinced me to buy Urze's offering.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It was x45 ;) I'm not gonna brake my x52 but i believe I should at least invert throttle right?

True, you can invert the axis but I haven't done it. Moving the throttle forward seems more natural to me as power increase (collective up).

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I would suggest modding a throttle like Urze did- the idea is pretty good and it's very easy to do. For myself i decided to go a step further and to build-just for Black Shark-some decent hardware like anti torque pedals and a collective stick. I'm pretty happy with the results and can't wait to try Black Shark finally:pilotfly:.

collective_bc.jpg.d9219e46b99abedb258c1317be483513.jpg

heli_pedal_d.jpg.9f912cd63981781be5f27bc6f549a85f.jpg

That rudder pedals are weird, what you don't want to have is centering in your pedals and cyclic when flying helicopters. If you fly a chopper, everything changes all the time, there is no center/neutral position for anything!

I made myself a helicopter rudder pedals, based on Bell 206 family, working like a charm in FSX. Next will be the collective, I'm planing to do a mix of the AH-64, and AH-1W. The cyclic can wait ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

I think it's wierd that you think there is a centering force. There is no centering force neither on the pedals nor on the collective. The gas filled springs give me a very nice resistance and add some damping.

What about your pedals? I would be interested to see some pics.

if those gas spring do not center the whole thing, then :

a. It's ok

b. It's weird because mounted like that, they should.

For my rudder, right now, I have only a photo from WIP:

dsc02531resizeiz2.th.jpg

those springs were meant to cancel the deadzone, but I got rid of those, because there was no such thing ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

Those gas springs have an almost constant force/travel curve. That's the secret. Think about two Ka-50's on each side of a balance bar.

Looking at your joints and the gap between the screw and the link there should be some noticeable backlash in your pedals?! Besides that your pedals looks nice and clean.

• 11 months later...

deja vu ;)

Well worth the money, I have one of the originals that I tweaked to work like this new one.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

The mod for the cougar is very good. Which makes for a much better cyclic than the original config. For the collective. A lot of people reverse the axis on the throttle to better mimic a colloctive. I suppose that would be the case with urze's too.

Nordic. Your collective looks great. Very similar to the one I had commissioned. Will post some pictures perhaps. I get by with my f16 simpeds but your pedals do not too shabby at all sir. Bit out of my homepit abilities.

Urze. Your mod is very smart looking. I've seen this on HC. I'm not sure if the Saitek has antenna dials on the throttle but have you considered making a twist throttle using those or something? In any case it is almost worth sacrificing the twist grip for all those buttons. Just realised what you've used for the switch head aswell. very cool. Will be recommending this to people.

Cheers

Troy

I was working on making my own collective when I saw what Urze did. I had the Siatek command pad laying around collecting dust and decided to give it a try. I've almost completed it, but I still need to make attachments for my chair.

The above has been based loosely upon my own opinions. :pilotfly:

:)

colli%20in%20action.JPG

Urze. Your mod is very smart looking. I've seen this on HC. I'm not sure if the Saitek has antenna dials on the throttle but have you considered making a twist throttle using those or something? In any case it is almost worth sacrificing the twist grip for all those buttons. Just realised what you've used for the switch head aswell. very cool. Will be recommending this to people.

Cheers

Troy

I will not add a twist grip to it - 1.it would raise the costs dramatically - 2.nearly all modern Helicopters have an automated RPM governor and many of them even don't have a twist throttle at the collective stick nowadays (see the KA50 for instance).

Edit: But you can easily assign the analogue Hat-switch as throttle.

Edited by urze
additonal info

I'm leaning towards this "out of the box" collective. I think it looks great. Sort of wishing it bolted directly on the throttle though. But with that X52 adapter, the velcro wrap should hold pretty good I'm imagining.

How do you map the keys? Software?

Also, where is everyone getting those platforms that bold directly to chair? I would love to have that for both the cyclic and collective. I would hate to sue DCS for my carpal tunnel :)

• Like 1

I will not add a twist grip to it - 1.it would raise the costs dramatically - 2.nearly all modern Helicopters have an automated RPM governor and many of them even don't have a twist throttle at the collective stick nowadays (see the KA50 for instance)

Fair enough. I suppose I'm not really thinking of modern mil helicopters or BS for that matter. It's not exactly something I would regard as essential for general simming either. An aspect of the controls which would come fairly naturally if confronted with them. Not taking things like power management into account.

Anyway well done.

Also, where is everyone getting those platforms that bold directly to chair? I would love to have that for both the cyclic and collective. I would hate to sue DCS for my carpal tunnel :)

I think that those are all hand made, I know that is what I am doing.;)

The above has been based loosely upon my own opinions. :pilotfly:

How do you map the keys? Software?

1.Yes,Software - Saitek SST Programming Software.

2.Put two 1302113917904040_1.jpg of them like this 170771a.jpg together and add a small plate on it. then screw it under your chair.

Tata! -ready to fly!

(Thanks for this question - reminds me to put a small ´how-to´ on my site.)