Mr_Burns_Attempt!

Mr_Burns

I cant claim to have any electrical or woodwork skills, but I know what I want and I try!

So, I have not got the room for a pit and my good lady wife uses the desktop for her business so the set up is like this:

picture.php?albumid=496&pictureid=3317

system:

System is E8400 @ 3.00ghz, 3gb ram, Windows XP, ATI HD 4800 and ATI HD 4600.

Its pretty underpowered so I am saving for a new i7 (sandybridge?) setup with 64bit win 7, hotas and wide screen.

I need a desktop pit that I can remove after my flights, I wanted larger MFD's than the Cougers but am starting to wonder if I need them after playing a while. Anyway, its fun and you learn and can swap and change for future mods so with little electronic skills i decided to use push buttons, the groovy game gear and then i heard of HIDMacros and gave them a go.

First off, I had loads of push buttons from a keyboard rip I did for Flaming Cliffs, you can see the 3 panels in the first picture, they controlled the basics and most common used functions. I didnt like the keyboard rip cos of the huge number of wires needed so inspired by Tigershark I bought a GPWIZ40 from Groovy Game Gear.

The push buttons had large threads on them and i needed a fairly robust frame to allow me to push them so I decided on MDF and this is what I came up with:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3431

and from behind one:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3432

and wired up:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3434

I did try to wire both MFDs to the GGG but unfortunately I found that although it has axes inputs, for switches it only has 32 buttons, not enough for 2 mfds.

Nice work burnsy. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully this will inspire others also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Creator of:

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" 1998 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213788

F-18C VFA-195 "Dambusters" July 2001 CAG Livery

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215950

Pilot avatars for DCS Logbook

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221160

How to make a DCS A-10C Panel

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=65998

Next I wanted a cheap UFC so i bought this:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3427

$20 Australian

Used some stickers to make this:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3428

Then used some free software called HIDMacros so when I pushed a button on the USB keyboard, I programmed HIDMacros to add a ALT (+) and LSHIFT (%) and a keystroke so when I press 'J' on the keypanel it spits out LSHIFT+ALT+J in DCS:

HIDMacros:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3429

in A-10

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3430

Finally for now my sticking point, I have a Keywix 40 on order but i tried to wire the spare axis on the GPWIZ to A-10 without any success and unfortunately HIDMacros doesnt recognise the GPWIZ axis so I can assign it to a key stroke so I finally have this:

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3433

which I cant wire properly cos of the GPWIZ axis not being recognised by A-10 or HIDMacros to assign to a key stroke.

picture.php?albumid=506&pictureid=3435

But there it is, obviously needs tidying up but its mine!!

Thanks

Edited by Mr_Burns

Im still at a loss of how to assign axis to keystrokes.

I used HIDMacros for the key strokes for the UFC and that worked, problem with HIDMacros is it doesnt recognise the axis movements of the GPWIZ.

So I downloaded a program called JOYTOKEY from which I was able to get the axis of the GPWIZ to spell out A B C D and E in word but guess what, DCS doesnt see JOYTOKEY output!

Will continue to trawl google for potential emulators!

Thanks.

• Like 1

Nice work, you have to make due with what you got.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Very good!

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mr Burns, :smilewink:

First of al my compliments for your work ...Well done. :thumbup:

Today I received my mini-keyboard and upcoming week I'll be busy configuring my UFC.

For now I have a question regarding the key stickers. ... did you make them yourself or did you buy them from some store?

Without doubt I will have more questions while building mu UFC and I sincerely hope you will be kind enough to give me some more advice.

Thank you in advance.

Hammer

344475e.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pit

i7-3770K (3500 MHz) | Corsair Hydro H110 | Corsair Carbide 500R | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro |

16GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4X4GB)| GTX 1080 + GTX750 |520 GB SSD | PSU Antec HCP-850

1x27", 1x21", 1x19" | SB X-Fi | TIR5+Clip Pro |TMHW | Saitek Rudder | Helios | G-13 | G-110 | Win7 x64

Hey ive been doing some work on my pit and I was going to bump my thread today so thanks for that!!

I made them myself in Powerpoint, I think I have the file still at work so will post it on monday.

I glued them on with normal glue but will probably use something stronger and maybe a varnish.

Ive just removed all the other keys so im looking at blanking out the holes left with some card.

One bit of advice when messing with the keyboard software HIDMacros is to look out for pressing the caps and num lock on the main keyboard cos that effects the mini board.

Also, it takes some patience to program it in HIDMacros, and then do it in DCS, some other threads are around with issues on the HIDMacros software, there is possible a better software out there, will be some interested people in your developments to.

Very nice pit BTW - where did you get that panel on the right, I forget the name and will you have a thread?

Edited by Mr_Burns

After I had gone down the route of making my own MFD's it just wasnt working, the idea was I would just slot them over the monitors when I wanted to play but with all the wires and snagging and hassle and everything it just wasnt worth it. Plus I wanted the MFDs to be slightly larger than the Thrusmasters as I thought the TMs looked a bit small, but I dont think it was that much bigger in the end or worth all the extra inputs and bother and I think the TMs probably look smaller on the web than they actually are and if its good enough for a F-16 pilot in Battle to use them then I should be fine! So I decided Thrustmasters will be the way to go.

Next my graphics card died so with the purchases that come with a new house almost complete I convinced the better half a new computer was needed so she could keep this one an I could have a gaming rig.

So I did a concept sketch of what I thought a setup I could use would be:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3693

It will be made from 12mm MDF and sit 100 cm tall x 90 wide. At the top of the drawing you can see the pedestals that will make up the left and right consoles and a smaller on for the middle. The idea being these can fit inside the box when not in use and save a bit of space.

I did a cardboard mock up to try it out:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3692

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3691

I had used quite a high dining room chair to measure it, my thoughts being I could mod it later if I get a sports car seat from the auto wreckers, or mod the seat base to make it higher.

The front panel will look something like this:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3698

and that square on the right is the size a display would need to be to run the 2 MFDs and a cutout for the gauges I would run will be under the Right MFD and across upto the UFC.

I work it out to be a 22" display.

I went to the local DIY store to get the sizes of MDF panels and sketched the panels I need and number of cuts, they cut it for 50 cents a cut, unfortunately the saw was broken so I will need to go back, best during midweek for something like this. Anyway, this is the plans I will ask them to cut:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3694

15 cuts at 50cents each, 63.50 for the MDF, some screws and I have a A-10 cockpit flat pack kit for just under $100 australian!

My idea is to build the panels in 3mm MDF, cut out holes in the 12mm MDF and screw the panel over the cut out, the recess should be enough to prevent the backs of the switches fouling the screen behind them although this will only be the ACHP.

Inspired by (among everyone on here but Cubpilot and Stranded Duckling and Tigershark) I made my first panel the ACHP:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3689

I made it in a plastic enclosure to test it but will be transferring to an MDF panel you see cut next to it. I am having problems drilling the MDF especially the 12mm holes required for the switches hence the rough finish. Whilst it is annoying, the panels will be covered initially in a printed paper which will hide the rough holes! I am considering a plexiglass panel and backlight which will fit on top of these but that is a future mod.

This was inspired by Cubpilot, really simple but effective gear leaver:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3697

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3696

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3695

The rotary will sit where the flaps indicator is and I will use that to control the flaps up and down.

Finally I did the LASTE panel (Autopilot):

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3690

That isnt the final panel sticker!

I have quite a few other switches, mainly push buttons so I am going to make a Comms Panel utilising F1 - F10 commands - its not purist but it will give me some more immersion.

Right now I am considering buying a USB joypad and mounting it just in front of my throttle to give me 2 more POVs and increase the X58 hotas a little. I tested with an Xbox controller and think that the ergonomics are definitely possible and in fact quite comfortable when resting on the throttle just extend your fingers up onto the pad.

I will post some pictures when I get it.

Other thoughts, I bought a VGA to TV thinking I could utilize an old car TV:

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3700

Unfortunately the connections were different (I think it has do do with the mini tv not having a separate Power lead)

picture.php?albumid=540&pictureid=3701

Not to worry though as there are cheap ones out there which will work. Im just waiting to see if it was possible to export the f12 map view to this screen as that would be a really good situation awareness ability.

Thanks to everyone in this great community, I will post more when it takes shape.

Edited by Mr_Burns

I made them myself in Powerpoint, I think I have the file still at work so will post it on monday.

Hi Mr Barns,

I would be more then happy if I could use your design for the stickers.:thumbup:

I glued them on with normal glue but will probably use something stronger and maybe a varnish.
At my work we have a Roland Vinyl Cutter and I'll try my luck using it.:music_whistling:

Ive just removed all the other keys so im looking at blanking out the holes left with some card.
If it is not to much trouble I would be happy to see a pictur of UFC with removed (non used) keys.

One bit of advice when messing with the keyboard software HIDMacros is to look out for pressing the caps and num lock on the main keyboard cos that effects the mini board.

Also, it takes some patience to program it in HIDMacros, and then do it in DCS, some other threads are around with issues on the HIDMacros software, there is possible a better software out there, will be some interested people in your developments to.

Programming is a chapter which will give me even more gray hair ... :smilewink:

Very nice pit BTW - where did you get that panel on the right, I forget the name and will you have a thread?
On the right side there is a Boeing 737 FMC/CDU which I use(d) in my old MS FS cockpit; I've used it in Level-D 767. Engravity is the manufacturer of this hardware.

Regarding a thread about my cockpit ... soon I will post a few lines an pictures in separate thread. :)

Have fun and a good weekend ... what's left of it:smilewink:

Hammer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pit

i7-3770K (3500 MHz) | Corsair Hydro H110 | Corsair Carbide 500R | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro |

16GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4X4GB)| GTX 1080 + GTX750 |520 GB SSD | PSU Antec HCP-850

1x27", 1x21", 1x19" | SB X-Fi | TIR5+Clip Pro |TMHW | Saitek Rudder | Helios | G-13 | G-110 | Win7 x64

Thanks for the picture.

At first glance I would say the key position is :thumbup: .

If the UFC is functional and can be operated easily and correctly then not beeing 'as real as it gets" is no problem for me.:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pit

Hi Mr Burns, :smilewink:

First of al my compliments for your work ...Well done. :thumbup:

Today I received my mini-keyboard and upcoming week I'll be busy configuring my UFC.

For now I have a question regarding the key stickers. ... did you make them yourself or did you buy them from some store?

Without doubt I will have more questions while building mu UFC and I sincerely hope you will be kind enough to give me some more advice.

Thank you in advance.

Hammer

344475e.jpg

What's the mirror for? :D

To see the wife or girlfriend trying to sneak up behind him......surprise attack.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Mr Burns, don't forget that saws don't cut perfectly in half and you will lose a millimetre here and there. Do they cut with a band saw or a circular saw?

Circular, probably 4mm wide so your right, a lot of tolerance issues!

Not much I can do really except 'hope' the tolerances are in my favor or are easily fixed.