How to Add Custom Pages to the Kneepad

Kneepad PDF Pages

Here is a little trick I discovered to create kneepad pages from the various DCS PDF manuals.

Open the manual in Adobe Reader

Set the view (page size) to a reasonable scale 100%, 75%, etc.

Under EDIT click on "Take a Snapshot"

Highlight the area you wish to make a kneepad page (try 3:4 ratio)

The program will say snapshot saved)

Open a graphic program like "PAINT" and click PASTE. Your page will appear.

Click on "CROP" This will give you only the marked area.

Save As a png file

Name it according to your preferences like A-10C 001, A-10C 002, or Huey 001, etc.

It is important that you use numbers like 001, 002, 003 so they will read in the proper order.

Place the pages in your kneepad folder as explained earlier in this thread.

As far as I am aware there is no division of type of aircraft available in the kneepad function, i.e. you have to replace your pages for each type of aircraft you fly in the top folder. You can create subfolders for each aircraft's pages but you will need to bring them to the top folder before you enter the program.

Here is a little trick I discovered to create kneepad pages from the various DCS PDF manuals.

Open the manual in Adobe Reader

Set the view (page size) to a reasonable scale 100%, 75%, etc.

Under EDIT click on "Take a Snapshot"

Highlight the area you wish to make a kneepad page (try 3:4 ratio)

The program will say snapshot saved)

Open a graphic program like "PAINT" and click PASTE. Your page will appear.

Click on "CROP" This will give you only the marked area.

Save As a png file

Name it according to your preferences like A-10C 001, A-10C 002, or Huey 001, etc.

It is important that you use numbers like 001, 002, 003 so they will read in the proper order.

Place the pages in your kneepad folder as explained earlier in this thread.

As far as I am aware there is no division of type of aircraft available in the kneepad function, i.e. you have to replace your pages for each type of aircraft you fly in the top folder. You can create subfolders for each aircraft's pages but you will need to bring them to the top folder before you enter the program.

I just released a light weight program that will do all of that for you as well. It can convert the entire 600+ page A-10C manual in less than four minutes. Take a look:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2164094#post2164094

• 3 weeks later...
i use it for keyboard commands listing :music_whistling:

Oh my...this just changed my multiplayer life. Best tip i've had for months!

Any smooth ways to get the list? Any other neat ideas (comms is very obvious)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 1 month later...
While poking around with the Kneepad system in DCS, I discovered how incredibly easy it is to add your own custom pages to the kneepad. I couldn't find a thread here on the topic, so I thought I would create one! (I'd add it to the wiki, but I don't seem to be able to edit anything - what use is a wiki you can't contribute to?)

Anyway, to add custom pages to your Kneeboard:

1. In your <user>\Saved Games\DCS folder, create a folder named KNEEBOARD
  2. In that folder, add the images you want. They can be PNG or JPG (maybe other formats too?), and any size - they will be scaled to fit. Keep them to a 3:4 portrait aspect ratio, though, or they will become distorted.
  3. That's it! In game, open up your kneepad, then hit "previous page" to flip through your custom pages!

Enjoy!

Very nice Loophole Great info!

win10 Home, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z68MA-DAH-B3, 32GB DDR3, Intel i5 quad 3.10GHz, Geforce GTX 650 Ti, Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, 2 MFD's, Track-IR5 and single 32" monitor

I think it would be really cool if the Kneeboard would show Maps that we could Zoom In/Out on.

But even better, it would be great if all the Airport/Aerodrome Maps could be selected when needed/wanted, rather than having to page through all of them just to get to the Map you need.

The aerodrome maps are interesting and probably even handy but they can be a pain to scroll through one by one until we get the page we want.

Maybe there is no easier way .... but one can always wish/hope !

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 1 month later...

Best image size resolution in px for kneeboard is....?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

You can convert PDF files to PNG for free online (http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg). Will do entire flight manual.

I make separate files so not to cram kneeboard. Like NAVIGATION, MISSIONS, FLIGHT MAN, PLAYBOY etc...

I make them JSGME. Changin out kneeboard becomes a snap.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Is there a way to have certain kneeboard pages only show up when flying certain aircraft?

Example: You own all aircraft modules, however you want the A-10 startup guide to show on the kneeboard only when in the A-10.

The Kneeboard file structure has subfiles of each AC under "KNEEBOARD".

Just place your images in AC specific file. Only images in file of AC you're you're flyin at the time will come up.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 4 weeks later...
The Kneeboard file structure has subfiles of each AC under "KNEEBOARD".

Just place your images in AC specific file. Only images in file of AC you're you're flyin at the time will come up.

Where??

Asus x99, i7 5930k, 32g mem, MSI 1070GTX, 970 Samsung M.2, LG 35in Ultra-Wide, TrackIR 4

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

july865

Go TO ----> C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Kneeboard

and you can create subfolders for your checklists-they will only show when you are in that specific aircraft module. Anything outside that subfolder-like maps in my screenshot will show. Real niffty.

Note the names on the subfolders they have to have THOSE SPECIFIC names or they won't show.

Subfolder names I know of

Uh-1H

TF-51D

Su-33

Su-27

Su-25T

Su-25

P-51D

MiG-29S

Mi-8MT

Ka-50

FW-190D9

F-86F Sabre

F-15C

A-10C

A-10A

kneeboard_zps9cc94b95.jpg

Edited by Tempest

july865

Go TO ----> C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Kneeboard

You can also do the same thing in the C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS. Create a Kneeboard folder, and then subfolders as Tempest said. Either way works, but I like to keep all the custom stuff in saved games and it won't get reset/overwritten during repair/upgrade.

Anything you place in C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard will show up on all the kneeboards.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

• 1 month later...

Anyone encountered problems with *jpg files or is it just me? Converting them to *.png works fine but all of my former Kneeboard files in jpg Format are no longer working.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...