F-15C ILS

malibu43

I played through the first incredibly boring campaign mission for the F-15C last night, just to over shoot the runway and crash at the end.

How does the ILS work in the FC3 aircraft, specifically the F-15C? Should it automatically come up if I'm in Nav mode on the HUD and the waypoint selected is an airport? Or 1) is there something specific I have to do to display the ILS in the HUD, and 2) do I have to do something to tune it to the airport I'm landing at?

I've looked through the manual but can't find any info on it.

I played through the first incredibly boring campaign mission for the F-15C last night, just to over shoot the runway and crash at the end.

How does the ILS work in the FC3 aircraft, specifically the F-15C? Should it automatically come up if I'm in Nav mode on the HUD and the waypoint selected is an airport? Or 1) is there something specific I have to do to display the ILS in the HUD, and 2) do I have to do something to tune it to the airport I'm landing at?

I've looked through the manual but can't find any info on it.

You have to hit the nav mode key (1) to enter ILS mode. In most cases the first time you do this it will put you on your starting airfield. However sometimes if you leave ILS mode and come back to it it skip to another airfield. Its somewhat of pain to have to sort through them after that as you end up having to extrapolate what should be the proper airfield with an ATC inbound request by range and bearing. I think if you make the request in Nav mode and then switch to ILS after the response it might auto select the proper airfield. This has happened once in one of my DACT missions that started in the air, so may have been a fluke.

Edited by blkspade

Thanks. That helps a bit.

Once I'm in ILS mode and have the correct airfield selected (by cycling waypoints, right?), at what point should I get the ILS bars/lines on my HUD. I thought I had everything set up for the airfield I was at, but I never got the ILS bars. Just that little flight director cross.

Thanks. That helps a bit.

Once I'm in ILS mode and have the correct airfield selected (by cycling waypoints, right?), at what point should I get the ILS bars/lines on my HUD. I thought I had everything set up for the airfield I was at, but I never got the ILS bars. Just that little flight director cross.

That cross is what you want. What you think you are looking for according to the manual is incorrect and was never updated. You can also refer to the yellow bars on the HSI for ils alignment.

Edited by blkspade

Put your flight path marker right on that cross.

Also notice that the ILS bars in the ADI are directors now - ie. if you work to keep them centered, you will be maneuvering the plane onto the glide slope instead of pointing at the runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As a brand new Eagle driver, this thread has been very helpful. Thanks to the OP for posting the question and thanks to everybody, especially GGTharos.

Ive been doing quick missions just to practice taxi, takeoff and landing and I have a few questions.

1) Tharos I noticed that you posted two youtube videos demonstrating the correct landing procedures for the F15C. However in both videos the nav mode selected doesnt have the cross in the Hud, instead it seems to be the other nav mode. Im using the cross, am I doing something wrong here?

2) Is there a video (or maybe someone can make one) demonstrating instrument landing with heavy cloudcover/fog and very low visibility?

1) No, nothing wrong in terms of systems operation. Those landings are visual landings and ILS is not needed nor wanted for visual landings. This is the normal landing method. ILS is for when you cannot see the runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There may be a bug in the game regarding fog right now, but you wouldn't be landing with zero visibility anyway.

In other words, that sort of practice is not realistic.

ILS is for taking you to a decision altitude and if you can't see the runway, you go around or use another airfield. You don't land in zero vis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really? Not even in an emergency?

If you have absolutely no other choice (no divert airfield, can't wait for fog to clear) then you do what you have to. In this case, it's a matter of 'land now or die'.

But if that is not your situation, then, no.

Also dont civilan aircraft land in these conditions a lot of the time? I thought ILS systems were developed for exactly that purpose (at least according to wikipedia they are) Sorry if Im ignorant on these matters...
Hopefully one of the pilots from the forum will be able to chime in, but from what I recall, this type of landing is performed only with a fully automated landing capability.

Under normal circumstances, the ILS will guide you below the cloud deck where you will see the runway. You may also have fog, so your forward visibility may be limit to 'yay far'.

An example is, that if at 200' AGL you don't have 2500' forward visibility, you don't land, you go around and try again. IIRC those parameters are quite realistic.

Landing in zero vis is asking for it. You just don't do it in RL unless you have no other options whatsoever, or equipment that allows you to do it (I think called CAT3C) ... which you don't have in the eagle, and I believe the airport needs to be suitably equipped as well.

And here's the type of ILS landing you should be shooting for (maybe a bit more severe, but you get the idea):

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

there is only ILS cat3 that permit 0-0 land(Heathrow have it).

with cat3 you go-around once on ground if you can't see the runway(it's silly but it happened).

Usually we have ILS cat 2(there's A-B-C) with typical 1/2 SM(or 2600' RVR) vis and 200' ceiling. If you can't see **** than go around

Of course planes must be equiped for the correct ILS CAT, and CAT3 required autoland

Edited by genbrien
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

Really? Not even in an emergency? Also dont civilan aircraft land in these conditions a lot of the time? I thought ILS systems were developed for exactly that purpose (at least according to wikipedia they are) Sorry if Im ignorant on these matters...

Many Civil Aircraft have the ability to land in fog. this requires a specific type/certified ILS (Like CATIII). Most Major International airports support at least CATII nowadays with many to CATIII. The aircraft needs a complex autopilot system with multiple redundant features one of which is a Flare routine with auto throttle pull off and a Rollout mode to keep the aeroplane on the centreline after landing. With these systems you can operate to ground level with effectively Zero visibilty .... don't need to see a thing immediately prior to touchdown. Most CATIIIB approaches still have a "reported" visibility to permit you to see to taxy off the runway :) So in these cases you have a "NO DECISION HEIGHT 75M VISIBILITY" requirement.

Few current Front line Miltary aircraft have the full CATIII capability

ILS Frequency

When cycling in ILSN mode through the airports, is anywhere in this beautifull cockpit the ILS Frequency of the current selected airport displayed ?

Perhaps somewhere around the HSI?

I believe in A10C it was displayed in the right corner of the HUD.

It would make the determination of the right airport a lot easier!

Thanks in advance :)

low visual rang only, no wind

No F10 'God View' please.

[ATTACH]97740[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at it later.

I played through the first campaign mission twice last night and still couldn't figure out how the ILS/HSI/Steering Cues were trying to get me lined up with the runway.

I'm not trying a zero vis landing, but there is quite a bit of fog. It's the first campaign mission, so I'm assuming they are conditions that I should be able to land in. Once I'm on short final, I can see enough. But getting to on a stable, aligned final approach is really what is giving me a hard time at this point. I can't seem to find any instruments that will get me there.

Edited by malibu43

How to find correct ILS for specific airfield?

Hi,

I saw similar questions on this thread, just wondering if there is a good way to find the ILS for the airfield you request clearance to land on. When I'm nearing an airfield and I hit 1 to go to ILS waypoint, I don't seem to get the correct fix. Maybe this could be improved in a future update. Also, a way to cycle backwards thru waypoints / ILS points would be good (if not done so already; I'll check the control assign keys..)

Thanks!

-Steve

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

--------------------------------

Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel I7 4320K, 8GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 1GB, 120GB Crucial SSD, Dell 24" LCD, TIR-5, Saitek X52 Pro.

originally posted 11-08-2013

With thanks to Robin_Hood who originally created this list, I have found it much easier navigating the F-15C using the HSI.

I re-organized the F-15C HSI course list below to be in sequential order for use in ILS/NAV. As you cycle through the HSI courses one by one you will find they stay to this constant order allowing you quick access to any of the 21 ILS.

Occasionally after landing you may need to cycle to NAV and then back to ILS/NAV to get the course order set.

I thought some of you would like to have this list.

Some notes by Robin_ Hood:

Sometimes, the HSI is in-between courses. In those cases, I have noted it as for example, 236-235 (course between 235 and 236). Also, I added, between parenthesis, the heading given by the F10 map for each airport. It is usually slightly less than that from the HSI, and sometimes the reverse, as it seems to indicate take-off heading instead of landing heading (some airports have landings and take-offs done in opposite direction (eg. Sochi, the airplanes always fly over the sea, taking-off or landing).

• Sochi: 062 (242)
  • Krasnodar Pachkovsky: 047 (47)
  • Sukhumi: 296-297 (296)
  • Gudauta: 331 (331)
  • Batumi: 125-126 (125)
  • Senakhi: 095 (094)
  • Kobuleti: 070 (70)
  • Kutaisi: 074 (74)
  • Mineralne Vody: 295-296 (295)
  • Nalchik: 235-236 (55)
  • Mozdok: 083 (82)
  • Tbilisi: 308 (307)
  • Soganlug: 132-133 (132)
  • Vaziani: 135-136 (135)
  • Beslan: 093-094 (93)
  • Anapa: 041-042 (041)
  • Krasnodar Center: 267 (267)
  • Novorossiysk: 042 (42)
  • Krymsk: 219-220 (219)
  • Maykop: Khanskaya 219 (218 )
  • Gelendzhik: 040 (39)

I have mentioned numerous times that it isn't exactly rocket science to find an airfield in the F-15. Request inbound to desired airfield, point plane to heading given in response, cycle ils nav until you reach a waypoint that is roughly the heading and range given in the response (usually within ~10nm & ~10 degrees). It only ends up potentially being wrong in 2 sections of the map where there 2 or 3 airfields in very close proximity to each other. With visibility being mostly a non issue in DCS-land, you can see your true desired airfield once your in visible range of either.