BMP2 targets, stop shooting at me!

stevieray

Hi, I'm starting to learn the ropes of Mission Editor, I'm trying to make a simple target range w some tanks. Right now I have BMP2s, just for some realistic targets, but they keep shooting me down w AAA. is there a way I can make them inert, or must I just change them to a different type of vehicle? Thx!

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

--------------------------------

Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel I7 4320K, 8GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 1GB, 120GB Crucial SSD, Dell 24" LCD, TIR-5, Saitek X52 Pro.

Cool, thx!

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel I7 4320K, 8GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 1GB, 120GB Crucial SSD, Dell 24" LCD, TIR-5, Saitek X52 Pro.

They can be killed quite easily if you hit from just over a mile away from really high (steep dive) with a quick burst and then get the hell out of there while jinking like crazy. But yes...they are tough lil buggers...The alternative is to hit at night. NVGs you can see them but they cant see you till you fire your guns and then they lose you quick.

The alternative is to hit at night. NVGs you can see them but they cant see you till you fire your guns and then they lose you quick.

In my experience this makes no difference. I've done gun runs in the dead of night on clusters of BMP-2s and I would see the synchronized muzzle flashes before I ever fired. They hit me but good as well.

Edited by P*Funk

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

In my experience this makes no difference. I've done gun runs in the dead of night on clusters of BMP-2s and I would see the synchronized muzzle flashes before I ever fired. They hit me but good as well.

Did you by accident have any lights on like strobe's or something?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

From what I've seen it does make a difference. I prepared a night mission as part of my campaign where I set up a few ZSUs and one man pad in the target area. The cloud cover is low, which forces player to fly below it, being an easy target for the AAA and SAM. But no matter what skill they have, if I don't turn my lights on they just won't shoot. :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Did you by accident have any lights on like strobe's or something?

Total external blackout.

From what I've seen it does make a difference. I prepared a night mission as part of my campaign where I set up a few ZSUs and one man pad in the target area. The cloud cover is low, which forces player to fly below it, being an easy target for the AAA and SAM. But no matter what skill they have, if I don't turn my lights on they just won't shoot. :)

Are you talking about BMPs or ZSUs?

Theres another thing. Get your engines to idle well before you position yourself at altitude. If you have your engines powered up they can hear you more easily.

I will never comprehend the predilection for depriving this airframe, already suffering a miserable shortfall of thrust and speed and an abominable lag in run up of engine output, of what little it can muster in those moments immediately preceding precisely when you will need every knot you can squeeze out of it.

AI off via trigger,

This is probably the best way. It's easier to handle large amounts of units when they are set as a ground group and if you want them to shoot it's easy to change.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

the BMP-2 has become insanely accurate in recent patches, its a better AAA than the shilka TBH, if they are set on excellent AI, you are going to have a bad day.

Over a year ago, I made a thread similar to this and was given all sorts of somewhat snooty-advice. "SORRY IF THIS IS TOO REAL FOR YOU" etc, stuff along those lines.

Whats changed? Have people just generally come to the consensus over time that its overdone at the moment?

It isnt just the BMP-2 which is engaging targets a bit too effectively either :P

http://i.imgur.com/LMOX5R1.jpg

I imagine the Bradley, Warrior etc are every bit as overly-accurate as the BMP too.

Edited by Nerdwing

I will never comprehend the predilection for depriving this airframe, already suffering a miserable shortfall of thrust and speed and an abominable lag in run up of engine output, of what little it can muster in those moments immediately preceding precisely when you will need every knot you can squeeze out of it.

Read my post again mate :) . Altitude is the key. Nothing like good ole gravity to get this bird racing especially when she is heavy.

Something needs to be done. AA sight or not, that kind of accuracy is not possible.

This is the AA sight of the BMP-2.

09dbcf4c08dd.jpg

There is no advanced stuff, just rings for range & lead.

I would love to have a basic gunnery calculator like the ZAP-23 on Zu-23, but the current radar level precision with just visual observation must go. You should have to input the approximate speed with pgup/pgdn and then rorate the approximate azimuth with some other keys. They you aim the crosshair on the enemy plane, shoot and pretty surely miss.

And while I'm at it, we really need to have a 50 cal like the NSV or M2 on a truck mount and on a tripod. Same goes for the PKM. Huey missions really need those.

Edited by Galwran

The sniper-AI could be fixed by implementin a solution that some a much wiser guy once proposed: make the gunnery accuracy proportinal to the square of the target's speed.

Somewhat like this:

target moving at 0km/h - propability to hit is 1 times the basic accuracy

target moving at 10km/h - propability to hit is 0.9 times the basic accuracy

target moving at 100km/h - propability to hit is 0.5 times the basic accuracy

target moving at 200km/h - propability to hit is 0.1 times the basic accuracy

target moving at 400km/h - propability to hit is 0.01 times the basic accuracy

They're still shooting at me, but I got all of em on my last flight. I mavericked the 1st 4 then gunned the remaining 2 diving in from about 6k (on 2 passes). This may seem obvious but on the egress I try to turn away perpendicularly as the gunners have to aim w more lead. Although maybe I should turn directly away and keep jinking to increase the distance faster.. I also have trouble keeping eyes on the target on the roll in for a steep dive. I should probably come in from a higher alt. I also don't have a TrackIR yet..

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

They're still shooting at me, but I got all of em on my last flight. I mavericked the 1st 4 then gunned the remaining 2 diving in from about 6k (on 2 passes). This may seem obvious but on the egress I try to turn away perpendicularly as the gunners have to aim w more lead. Although maybe I should turn directly away and keep jinking to increase the distance faster.. I also have trouble keeping eyes on the target on the roll in for a steep dive. I should probably come in from a higher alt. I also don't have a TrackIR yet..

You will hear that a lot but TrackIR is an absolute must-have for A10.

I flew quite long without it and I don't know how I even managed to do so now. Life changer.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Over a year ago, I made a thread similar to this and was given all sorts of somewhat snooty-advice. "SORRY IF THIS IS TOO REAL FOR YOU" etc, stuff along those lines.

Whats changed? Have people just generally come to the consensus over time that its overdone at the moment?

Don't confuse one group for another, there are many on the forums. The people who replied to you may have been different people who just happened to not reply now.

It isnt just the BMP-2 which is engaging targets a bit too effectively either :P

http://i.imgur.com/LMOX5R1.jpg

I imagine the Bradley, Warrior etc are every bit as overly-accurate as the BMP too.

I don't often deal with AAA as I like fighters, but from what I recall, there was really only one really bad (as in insanely accurate) ground unit. The others weren't too bad unless you flew right on top of them. I want to say it's the BTR-80, but I honestly don't remember. It might have been a BMP.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I don't often deal with AAA as I like fighters, but from what I recall, there was really only one really bad (as in insanely accurate) ground unit. The others weren't too bad unless you flew right on top of them. I want to say it's the BTR-80, but I honestly don't remember. It might have been a BMP.

ive seen BMPs destroy su-25s that went a tiny bit too low, then they just exploded instantly, its like you are fighting terminators.