TM Warthog use of flaps and engine start

Wissam24

I'm wondering if it's possible to assign the engine START and flaps to the TM Warthog in such a way that having the flap switch in the middle activates take off flaps. As it stands, it doesn't select it in the middle, as the Warthog is able to. I noticed the F-86F was able to do this by default, so I hope there is a way to work this.

Likewise with the throttle, I can move them into the Off position to put the Dora throttle into idle, but have to press a switch to move it up again. I'd like to be able to activate it simply by moving it up on my throttle.

Nice post, that's something i want to know, too (throttle start position).

It's possible in the A-10C, so it must be possible for the Dora too.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals

using the middle position of three way switches with the warthog throttle is possible, with either adjusting .lua files within the sim directory, or creating a TARGET profile....i always prefered to not have TARGET installed, but since ED changed their way of how those .lua files work, i decided to go with TARGET,...cant say i regret it...

having the start position of the throttle in the dora working like in the a10c would be nice though!right now i think there is either start position and off position, so you cant really map it properly as its not a toggle switch like in the a10c(without adjusting .lua files at least)....good request!:thumbup:

would like to see that too!

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

The answer shall come from this thread...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226&page=13

I'm trying to figure it out too...

Actually, all you need to do is use Target. From within Target the middle position on the Flaps switch is assignable to the Take Off position with no difficulty. I would use DX commands instead of keyboard commands but otherwise it works just fine.

I haven't decided how best to implement the throttle.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Given you use TARGET,

just place the IDLE command on the IDLERON and the START command on the IDLEROFF buttons on the throttle (the little gray bits at both ends of the throttle groves, in case you use the GUI editor), works just fine.

Greetings

MadCat

I know (I use notepad++) but I just haven't decided whether to use that or not.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Actually, all you need to do is use Target. From within Target the middle position on the Flaps switch is assignable to the Take Off position with no difficulty. I would use DX commands instead of keyboard commands but otherwise it works just fine.

I haven't decided how best to implement the throttle.

How do I use DX commands to assign the button?

How do I use DX commands to assign the button?

This is what I have in Target.

MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPM, DX4);
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPD, DX5);
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPU, DX3);

Then just map the switch in game, like any control.

These work for me, added in the keyDiffs section of the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {<some long ID number}.diff.lua" file. I have this mod installed, don't know if it's needed or not...

Flaps:

["d3001pnilu3002cd9vd1vpnilvu1"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN22",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "Flaps Up",
	},
	["d3003pnilu3002cd9vd1vpnilvu1"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN23",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "Flaps Landing",
	},

Throttle Idle/Start (using the right throttle lever):

["d313pnilu311cdnilvdnilvpnilvunil"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN29",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "Throttle to IDLE",
	},

Dear Shilka. I hate you so very very much. Love, Rex

This is what I have in Target.

MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPM, DX4);
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPD, DX5);
MapKey(&Throttle, FLAPU, DX3);

Then just map the switch in game, like any control.

You and madcats suggestions worked perfect. One question how do you know what buttons to assign to DX if I need to do this in the future?

You should use DX assignments anytime the switch is going to remain activated even after the triggered action is done but you need the output active for longer than just a short keypress. In this case, the flaps control would continue sending keyboard commands even when it was no longer needed.

For some switches, you can solve the problem just by using 'PULSE+keyboard command' but that would not produce the desired results for the flaps function.

So I can just select whatever DX 1-32(?) that I like and there are no preassigned values that will get messed up somewhere else? I'm pretty good with assigning keys with the Pulse, Hold, etc keyboard commands but sometimes they don't work the way you like.

So I can just select whatever DX 1-32(?) that I like and there are no preassigned values that will get messed up somewhere else? I'm pretty good with assigning keys with the Pulse, Hold, etc keyboard commands but sometimes they don't work the way you like.

They aren't preassigned at all. I usually make a list of what I need and then just start numbering from 1 to whatever number I need.

Thanks. Good to know for future modules (BF109). :thumbup:

If you haven't looked into it already, you should investigate scripting instead of using the GUI. It opens up lots more possibilities within Target.

• Like 1

JSGME default lua ready for use with flaps and engine start.

Enjoy :)

I'm new to JSGME. I just installed it like the tutorial told me. Than I unzipped your file, put it into _MOD folder and activated the mod.

After this I set the flap control for flaps on my Warthog Throttle. Flaps up and landing flaps works well but I couldn't get start flaps to work, because there is no button for neutral flap position on my Warthog. Not sure if I did something wrong.

Could you also tell me how to set up the engine starter?

I'm new to JSGME. I just installed it like the tutorial told me. Than I unzipped your file, put it into _MOD folder and activated the mod.

After this I set the flap control for flaps on my Warthog Throttle. Flaps up and landing flaps works well but I couldn't get start flaps to work, because there is no button for neutral flap position on my Warthog. Not sure if I did something wrong.

Could you also tell me how to set up the engine starter?

Knecht hi,

Some background first (a short one I promise)...

1. Most DCS modules controllers options are set in a way the commands can only detect ON switches...eg...when a switch is moved to its ON position then a command is registered within DCS options.

When a switch is turned from its ON position to its OFF position it doesn't register.

How to know which is the the ON or OFF state of each switch...within Windows settings of controllers.

All I'm doing is making "Alternate" commands that register when a switch is turned off.

You assign the ON position within the DCS controllers options and when that switch is turned off in the pit the switch movement is registered and the switch moves back.

You can read more here...(you have to read the whole thread due to changes made recently):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

2. TM Warthog HOTAS is a special case which is discussed here.

a. A 3 way switch has two ON positions at the extremities (upper and lower or right and left) and one OFF position in the middle.

So...these switches, such as the flaps switch, are actually two switches with one being up (ON) and middle (OFF) and the other being down (ON) and middle (OFF).

So...I made two "Alternate" commands for the flaps with one for up and middle and the other for down and middle.

...assign up to the Alternate up and assign down to the Alternate down and it shall work.

b. The throttle operates a switch when pulled over the detent at its idle position...its ON position.

When the throttle is moved back forward that switch is turned OFF.

So...choose the Alternate command for the throttle and assign the throttle by moving it backwards over the detent.

Hope it helps...

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

Knecht hi,

Some background first (a short one I promise)...

1. Most DCS modules controllers options are set in a way the commands can only detect ON switches...eg...when a switch is moved to its ON position then a command is registered within DCS options.

When a switch is turned from its ON position to its OFF position it doesn't register.

How to know which is the the ON or OFF state of each switch...within Windows settings of controllers.

All I'm doing is making "Alternate" commands that register when a switch is turned off.

You assign the ON position within the DCS controllers options and when that switch is turned off in the pit the switch movement is registered and the switch moves back.

You can read more here...(you have to read the whole thread due to changes made recently):

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

2. TM Warthog HOTAS is a special case which is discussed here.

a. A 3 way switch has two ON positions at the extremities (upper and lower or right and left) and one OFF position in the middle.

So...these switches, such as the flaps switch, are actually two switches with one being up (ON) and middle (OFF) and the other being down (ON) and middle (OFF).

So...I made two "Alternate" commands for the flaps with one for up and middle and the other for down and middle.

...assign up to the Alternate up and assign down to the Alternate down and it shall work.

b. The throttle operates a switch when pulled over the detent at its idle position...its ON position.

When the throttle is moved back forward that switch is turned OFF.

So...choose the Alternate command for the throttle and assign the throttle by moving it backwards over the detent.

Hope it helps...

Thanks for your nice description. I will try it if I am home :thumbup:

These work for me, added in the keyDiffs section of the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {<some long ID number}.diff.lua" file. I have this mod installed, don't know if it's needed or not...

Flaps:

["d3001pnilu3002cd9vd1vpnilvu1"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN22",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "Flaps Up",
	},
	["d3003pnilu3002cd9vd1vpnilvu1"] = {
		["added"] = {
			[1] = {
				["key"] = "JOY_BTN23",
			},
		},
		["name"] = "Flaps Landing",
	},

Are you sure those are the only flaps-related commands in your lua file? Doesn't 3002 (flaps take off) have to be defined somewhere in that file? Those two commands alone don't make use of the middle switch position when I try them.

Here is a quick target profile for the Warthog throttle flaps and starter, it uses the default keys, the starter uses the APU switch , flick it on when all the throttle lights have lit up flick it to off to start the engine.

This works perfectly fo me :thumbup: