F15c Keyboard Controls !

FlankerNation

Also, some somebody recommended me here to switch the pitch trim controls with pitch controls which i think helps but lets see... and who ever recommended this have my thanks and gratitude for understanding.

May be .... May be i will get a stick someday when I see Su27 AFM in the future but still that does not make any sense that why ED changed the way to play DCS with keyboard like its used to be. Think about new comers who are interested in this product ? I started out with keyboard and still found more enjoyable playing with keyboard.

All those who have sticks and making fun of me I really don't care when there is an option to play DCS with keyboard so be it. Many did with LOCKON and Flanker Series.... well I did a lot !.

I used to fly without joystick for long years myself (that was more than a decade ago though). I always thought "don't really need a joystick".

Than I got this :

http://www.pjcomputers.net/images/products/display/AVENGERProQuickshotAvengerJoystickQS203Awith15PinGamePortConnector.jpg

Quickshot Avenger, cheap, old, crummy flight stick :)

From then on I thought to myself "WTF was I thinking with keyboard?!". I really can't think of flying any serious sim without a flight strick. I used Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for years, cheap and very good stick, you can find new for about 50-60 $ or even less. A few weeks ago I bought a used Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 for less than 50$, and it's simply awesome.

Either way of keyboard control method you describe is still far off worse than even the cheapest flight stick, and even cheapest flight sticks are endurable enough for a decade+.

hmmmm.... Will give it a try but Sticks crossed :D:joystick::thumbup:

How about gamepad like a XBOX360's?

Now that's what I call a innovative thinker..... Yep, I think you understand me i m a lazy block who doesn't want to move my whole arm that's I preferred keyboard but hey this is a pretty good idea to try.

Still ED needs to fix that issue besides I m having to play with a stick or pad, this for the new comers.

I m playing lockon for over 10 years with keyboard and I m really really good at it by when I took control of F15c you guys changed the way we use to control the jets from keyboard.

I mean the way we currently control the su27, su25t, mig29c etc is PERFECT ! but with F15C is hell !

1. Ctrl+J to display the pitch, roll and throttle to show status.

2. when we pitch up and down its should stay there ! not automatically center itself !!!.

3. with the roll center itself is fine but with the pitch please bring back the old method !

When you pitch up it should hold that pitch until we manually bring it back to the center and I m not talking about trimming controls here I am talking about simple great old flight keyboard that use to be in Lockon Series !.

SOME OF US CAN'T AFFORD FLIGHT STICKS YOU KNOW.

Thank you.

This issue has now been reported (bug #27443)

No longer active in DCS...

This issue has now been reported (bug #27443)

Really ! I hope this not a joke and ED take their customers seriously... If this really been reported then Thank you for listening Kuky the ED tester and will appreciated that bug#27443 will not turn out to be a laughable joke.....

...... ........

.................... :( lets hope not.

Really ! I hope this not a joke and ED take their customers seriously... If this really been reported then Thank you for listening Kuky the ED tester and will appreciated that bug#27443 will not turn out to be a laughable joke.....

...... ........

.................... :( lets hope not.

To be honest, I don't know what exactly is the problem you are experiencing.

At first I thought it was just the physics of the game, which made the F15's nose go either up or down after you released the pitch control key, but now I'm not so sure.

Is the nose going back to a "resting position" even when you are holding one of the pitch control keys and your speed is high enough?

If so, there's a problem here, if not, that's just the physics of the game, you can deal with it by using elevator trimming, but it won't go away as long as you are using the AFM (Is there a way to disable it in the settings? You could check it...)

Don't buy a joystick yet, just borrow one for testing. After that, I bet you'll get one in no time, you'll see for yourself what you are missing, LOL.

PS: Ok, after a quick test my initial idea has been confirmed. The F15 tends to go back to a "resting position" after every movement, that's physically accurate, this isn't a bug. What you are experiencing are the limitations of the keyboard. I bet you've never been able to perform air refuels or carrier landings in all these years playing Flaming Cliffs... am I wrong?

About the AFM, have you tried activating the "Game Flight Mode" option in the settings? It's supposed to simplify the handling of the aircraft, maybe it helps...

Edited by Hardcard

Try flying MiG-29A with keyboard and you will see what he means.

In short, if you bank and press on key to increase pitch, the aircraft will maintain that pitch when key is released (the longer you press the more Y-axis (which is pitch) deflection is added (until it's in full position).

Now with F-15C (and I tested in tester version with Su-27) you can't maintain pitch with keyboard like this (or roll also) because when key is no longer pressed the stick (axis) goes back to original position... actually there is some very little movement you can have (my rough guess is maybe 5% of axis travel stays but anything more and it goes back).

So you end up with either having to tap the key to keep pitch somewhere in between min and max deflection, which also makes the pitch oscilate... or keep max deflection (by holding the key down) under which condition you will stall very quickly.

So, I agree that its remarkable that some has been flying FC3 with keyboard for so many years like him, he does have a valid complaint and this is a bug, which is why I reported it in ED bug tracker... and I am sure ED will fix it (how long can't say, but it should still be fixed when they have/get time for it).

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

If you're comfy with keyboard then I guess that's all up to you... but in a "hardcore sim" like you mentioned... Simulating reality the most we can...

I have never heard of a keyboard controlled airbus or boeing lol...

---------------------

Or any other a/c for that matter ^^

What you're trying to achieve sounds very controversial...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

H100i

256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD Crucial+ WD Blue

16 Gb Ram DDR3-1866-C9R Mhz Veng. Pro.

GA-Z97X-G5

SuperNova 750 G2

OK

Try flying MiG-29A with keyboard and you will see what he means.

In short, if you bank and press on key to increase pitch, the aircraft will maintain that pitch when key is released (the longer you press the more Y-axis (which is pitch) deflection is added (until it's in full position).

Now with F-15C (and I tested in tester version with Su-27) you can't maintain pitch with keyboard like this (or roll also) because when key is no longer pressed the stick (axis) goes back to original position... actually there is some very little movement you can have (my rough guess is maybe 5% of axis travel stays but anything more and it goes back).

So you end up with either having to tap the key to keep pitch somewhere in between min and max deflection, which also makes the pitch oscilate... or keep max deflection (by holding the key down) under which condition you will stall very quickly.

So, I agree that its remarkable that some has been flying FC3 with keyboard for so many years like him, he does have a valid complaint and this is a bug, which is why I reported it in ED bug tracker... and I am sure ED will fix it (how long can't say, but it should still be fixed when they have/get time for it).

Wow ... Thank you... Thank you and Thank YOU :thumbup:

Again... its only the PITCH (elevators controls) that's need to be fixed which is that it will not automatically center itself... only the pitch controls.

The rest Rudder and Roll are fine as they are (which they center themselves automatically) for example: Su25t, Mig29 A, G & S, Su27 and su33.

And even I think in A-10A, A-10c and P51D keyboard flight controls are OK, last time i tried them I can hold the pitch were i want.

I recommend ED that they keep the Keyboard flight controls pattern same from SFM to AFM as it doesn't not concern the flight model.

I really hope that people can understand what I am trying to say if I got the time i will post a video to show it to you guys.

For Example: Su25t flight model is AFM and with the current Keyboard flight controls I fly this baby like a ninja ! Why ? because the stick (pitch) doesn't center itself so I don't have to keep pressing or tapping that Up/Down arrow key to maintain it and on the plus side i can press other keys also.

I can't explain now more as I m still in my work place... will post a video on YT send u guys the link here.

Again Thanks KUKY.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're comfy with keyboard then I guess that's all up to you... but in a "hardcore sim" like you mentioned... Simulating reality the most we can...

I have never heard of a keyboard controlled airbus or boeing lol...

---------------------

Or any other a/c for that matter ^^

What you're trying to achieve sounds very controversial...

It also has bearing for disabled players. It is valid bug.

Nate