F-86F Sabre Skins - Combined Threads

drPhibes

I might have screwed it up mate, I was playing around with so many things last night and might not have done a decent job on that. I was looking at how the texture files were arranged in DCS2, which is where I intend to spend most of my effort.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your stuff, sorry if I made you think that, that was not my intention. By the time I had got your file into the game I had discovered the spec files in DCS2 and was playing with them as well, it all got very confusing and I'm pretty certain I messed it all up, I usually do when I get too involved !!!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to return to skins after an enforced absence due to an injured arm.

I thought I'd try and get to grips with the procedure again by starting with a revamp of a popular previous effort: "The Huff".

However in my absence it appears a few things have changed with regards to saving the .dds files?

At present I am saving both spec and diff as DXT3 with mipmaps and it appears to be working.

Is this correct? What formats are others using?

Any info greatly appreciated.

This image was taken over the Normandy map with gamma set at 2.2 and time of day 1300hrs.

1_zpsspbfigw2.jpg

The othe side of "The Huff" showing the difference in appearance the lighting engine makes at different angles...

3_zpsvkfzacnk.jpg

Edited by BoNidle
  • Like 1

I use DXT1,

We dont need Alpha Channel for Albedo or ROUGHNESS/MET textures

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Thanks for the reply SkateZilla.:thumbup:

A couple of questions:

For Spec you say you use DXT1, no alpha? Do you set it for MipMaps?

What do you save the DIFF at? At present I am using DXT3 with Explicit Alpha and generate mipmaps.

Sorry to be a pain but while I haven't been skinning I lost all my notes so I'm searching my memory desperately....and its pretty dusty in here!!!:huh:

Thanks.