=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

• ED Team
1.6 No multiplayer disputes on the ED forums, including inter-squad flamewars.

please take up any multiplayer disputes with eekz via PM

if you have a question about moderation please contact one of us

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Dont remeber diagonale. Something close to yours 21 inch, and 1650x1080 and I have approximetely the same eprience as you do. That's why 1-8 km labels is used on the server.

I see all contacts about well or as bad.Was easier for me in previous versions.

Below two 109's chasing a p51 in MP. I started chasing the 109's and than realized my mistake.

bm0as.jpg

From left to right a 109 a d9 and a p51. From 15 km in SP mission.

2re4j6o.jpg

The picture above is from a track from openbeta version 58891 .

S !

I tested both Mustang and Starway land tiles or repaint .I think Starway might be better for spotting.

Viz-1-1.trk

Edited by otto

While flying a small grey spec appeared against the panel of my cockpit coming the opposite direction as it got closer to my stick I rolled right and a friendly aircraft appeared in line with the dot. In other words I could see his dot through the floor of my cockpit. I wasn't sure if this is a known issue or not but thought I would mention it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^^that is the limitation of the labels which the server is using. you will see the labels through your cockpit. thats why im not even using them and try to cope with the default visibilty, as i just hate to spot for example a bandit through my instrument panel, a contact, i would have never seen otherwise without the labels....

Nothing to do with resolution. It's how labels work in DCS.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

personally i think, the labels make the camping and so called cat and mouse game above Novo situation only worse.

i know everybody has problems spotting contacts within reasonable distances in dcs, and thats why they are enabled on the server...yet i think they completely destroy the possibilty of boom n zoom or general surprise attacks. and this is worse for the P-51s than it is for 190s and 109s.

for example, rear-visibilty in 109 is by far the worst now of all three fighters. so having a handy black label visible right through your metal seat is pretty convinient....you break away. without the label you would be probably dead.

in P-51 and 190 rear visiblity is really good, and you have a overall better chance to spot a bandit on your six.

boom n zoom in 109 is pretty much impossible with or without labels, as due to the stick forces you can hardly adjust your aim, and a p51 can easily evade if its aware of the incoming 109. heck, its hard enough in the 109 to hit a P-51 who is not aware of you, if you are going 500kph or more. :).

in the P-51 though, boom n zoom works great. still very manouverable at high speeds. and without labels, its really hard to spot a P-51 behind above or below you when you are in a 109. so without labels i think P-51s would have better chances.

also, the camping "Luftwaffe" would have a harder time to spot and keep tally on low P-51s taking off from Novo. P-51s would have a better chance to take off, and sneak away, gaining some altitude to come back with an energy advantage...

so, all in all, although generally spotting is harder for everyone without labels, i think it would greatly add to gameplay on this server.

instead of using labels, we maybe should make people aware of certain settings which help spotting in dcs....

and there are definitely 2 settings, which have a huge impact on spotting ability in dcs...

MSAA and Anistropic Filtering. MSAA and Anistropic Filtering both on 16x and you are a blind mole. reducing them further and further will increase visiblity, with best visiblity when you have both turned off.

of course, the game doesnt look as nice anymore. with both turned off completely it looks really bad in fact, but spotting is way better.personally i now have both settings set to 2x, and dont use labels since the last week. of course, this should only be a temporary solution, and the real solution is when DCS improves spotting, so that people can run the game on max settings and still see contacts at realistic distances.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed
  • Like 1

I'll be testing and reconsidering labels decision on every patch that affects render or/and visibility. Probably some day we'll see a feature that allows to not render labels behind cockpit, clouds and buildings or they will not be needed at all on new render. I'm not a huge fan of labels myself, but in the current situation I do really think that small labels are less evil than default visibility or impostors. Current DCS render just can't provide realistic spotting at close-to-mid ranges (not saying that in 1.5.5 far spotting is clearly overpowered).

0_139fb6_1bb3bc_orig

Edited by eekz

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

Your arguments are valid. The actual labels are annoying, totally unrealistic, spoil the surprise attacks.. that's why I also prefer them.. disabled.

So.. +1 for NO LABELS.

• Like 1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

personally i think, the labels make the camping and so called cat and mouse game above Novo situation only worse.

i know everybody has problems spotting contacts within reasonable distances in dcs, and thats why they are enabled on the server...yet i think they completely destroy the possibilty of boom n zoom or general surprise attacks. and this is worse for the P-51s than it is for 190s and 109s.

for example, rear-visibilty in 109 is by far the worst now of all three fighters. so having a handy black label visible right through your metal seat is pretty convinient....you break away. without the label you would be probably dead.

in P-51 and 190 rear visiblity is really good, and you have a overall better chance to spot a bandit on your six.

boom n zoom in 109 is pretty much impossible with or without labels, as due to the stick forces you can hardly adjust your aim, and a p51 can easily evade if its aware of the incoming 109. heck, its hard enough in the 109 to hit a P-51 who is not aware of you, if you are going 500kph or more. :).

in the P-51 though, boom n zoom works great. still very manouverable at high speeds. and without labels, its really hard to spot a P-51 behind above or below you when you are in a 109. so without labels i think P-51s would have better chances.

also, the camping "Luftwaffe" would have a harder time to spot and keep tally on low P-51s taking off from Novo. P-51s would have a better chance to take off, and sneak away, gaining some altitude to come back with an energy advantage...

so, all in all, although generally spotting is harder for everyone without labels, i think it would greatly add to gameplay on this server.

instead of using labels, we maybe should make people aware of certain settings which help spotting in dcs....

and there are definitely 2 settings, which have a huge impact on spotting ability in dcs...

MSAA and Anistropic Filtering. MSAA and Anistropic Filtering both on 16x and you are a blind mole. reducing them further and further will increase visiblity, with best visiblity when you have both turned off.

of course, the game doesnt look as nice anymore. with both turned off completely it looks really bad in fact, but spotting is way better.personally i now have both settings set to 2x, and dont use labels since the last week. of course, this should only be a temporary solution, and the real solution is when DCS improves spotting, so that people can run the game on max settings and still see contacts at realistic distances.

I am a blind mole even with glasses on :lol: I have turned off aa but never thought about Anistropic Filtering, will give that a go tonight and hopefully I will be able to go back to 1440p :thumbup:

Your arguments are valid. The actual labels are annoying, totally unrealistic, spoil the surprise attacks.. that's why I also prefer them.. disabled.

So.. +1 for NO LABELS.

+1:thumbup:

P-51, 109K4, 190D9, Spitfire MK IX, Normady :joystick:

i7 7700K, 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, ASRock Z270 board, Corsair 1000w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 24”, 180Hz/1ms, G-SYNC Monitor, Trackir 5, mfg Crosswind pedals, TM warthog,

So.. +1 for NO LABELS.

They are just a dot!:huh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Additional information on the mission that I currently work on and hope to rlease 1st version before Spitfire release.

The mission name will be "Battle for Gali"

Today I'd like to introduce you situation descriptions for the mission.

attachment.php?attachmentid=152750&d=1480775056

Red situation

Enemy is preparing an assault on the city of Gali. Our reconnaissance reports that at least 3 Soviet tanks platoons preparing to attack the city from three directions after artillery preparation and close air support operation. Additionally they are going to reinforce the attack by additional tank platoons that have already started their movement from Kobuleti region. Enemy air bases are located at Senaki-Kolkhi, Kutaisi and Kobuleti airfield and USAF, RAF and VVS will likely perform their air operations from there.

We have 3 panzer platoons at the city outskirts at the moment as core of the city defence. They suffer artillery fire and eventual air strikes. Our command has sent additional tank forces to support the defenders. Also the supply of Gali defence was established lately by our ground convoys. Our air forces located at Gudauta and Sukhumi.

Blue situation

Our command is going to begin the assault operation on the city of Gali occupied by Axis forces. The main strike force is 6 Soviet tank platoons. After artillery preparation they will attack the city defences from 3 directions. Three tank platoon are located on the frontlines waiting for reinforcement and protecting artillery sites from a counter-attack. Another three tank platoons are currently on march to the frontline along with supply convoys.

Scout squads report that the city defences were lately reinforced with at least 3 tank platoons and 3 more tank platoons are moving to the city from the enemy's back areas. Using our air bases located at Senaki-Kolkhi, Kutaisi and Kobuleti we are able to provide air strikes on Gali defences. Enemy air bases are located at Gudauta and Sukhumi airfields. Opposition is expected.

Stay tuned!

PS: if any English native speakers could comment the situation description text here and point out style errors I would appreciate it much :)

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

Announcement

Let me introduce new server labels utilizing new label features that has been implemented on the server. They will work only at 1-10 km. Everything you see above 10km is not labels but current DCS visibility issue that make contacts visible up to 55 km (I've measured). In regard to Burning Skies server labels instead of 100 words I've made 2 gifs to illustrate. Check them out (LEFT - Burning Skies server labels, RIGHT - default visibility):

labels.gif.56e6c04b029074359d29c0e709d4cdee.gif

no_labels.gif.c2b17417e6acae3c0c82d9aaa0a643e7.gif

Burning Skies

So.. +1 for NO LABELS.

Unrealistic? And lower your resolution, changing settings to make your game look worse with jagged lines is realistic?

If your interested in a realism WWII squad, drop by our Discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/BK7kxZx

Unrealistic? And lower your resolution, changing settings to make your game look worse with jagged lines is realistic?

did he turn down his res - didnt seem to be in his post? u can see labels threw cockpits thats cool too right? i'd prefer em off every day, ED should focus on improving visibility and not soo much on the labels - i mean its better than nothing...

Edited by rogonaut

I prefer some jaggies to magic.... Falcon is ok but also has it's own issues. That being said the preview in the GIF's looks pretty good. I'll have to hop on at some point and see what it looks like.

Nice work eekz! :thumbup:

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin