MiG-21 Durability Doubts

LFCChameleon_Silk

first off fantastic module, absolutely loving it.

my 1 concern is: seems the MiG-21 is a bit to durable, I pancake and it turns into a crash landing when it should have been instant death in my opinion, wings still intact and nothing broke off. Another one of my friends seems to think its over tuned for durability and I think its pretty obvious its a bit to tough to damage. any idea if this will be tuned a bit in the future (maybe its not for guns or missiles) but in terms of ground collision it definitely needs another pass.

For me it has been a bit inconsistent, but i don't know if that was just coincidence.

Sometimes i put it down a bit harsh on the runway and it'll break, flip and explode.

Once i literally crashed it into the grass and i just blacked out, rolled over a couple of times without breaking anything or burning.

MiG-21 was designed for gravel airstrips which require a lot of durability. It can take a lot of damage provided you land it on its wheels.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Haven't experience this in MiG yet, but actually, it is similar to what is described here in F-86 too, a few times I have scraped off the terra firma at near mach one with some scraping sounds in F-86, and then just kept flying on :)

On the other end of the scale, Fw-190 seem like going boom for no apparent reason on slightest contact with Planet Earth :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I'm talking like no wheels down, split-S gone wrong, pancaking, doing cartwheel and being ok, maybe even with wings still attached.

try flying it without take off flaps go 300kmh, raise gear and skid you will most likely survive even with some rolling, I find this very hard to believe... my rudder was still working as well.... although of all the cases this is probably the most believable in that it could be survivable... (can you guess what I forgot to do for this to occur :P)

pancaking... nah, the G-forces and impact would be far to hard and you should fireball, I have never seen any footage of a pancaked plane not exploding.

don't get me wrong I love the module, just would like the ground damage to be a bit more real.

MiG-21 was designed for gravel airstrips which require a lot of durability. It can take a lot of damage provided you land it on its wheels.

Yes, but there is heavy landing and there is gear/spine breaking ploughing it in....

I've certainly had one suspiciously "holy batman" landing, stalling in from several hundred feet, just enough elevator authority to momentarily maintain a sufficiently nose high attitude to stop it being a nosecone first landing, the thing bounces off the nose wheel, rolls from side to side then settles into a perfectly normal landing roll.

Whilst I bet it can take more punishment than the F-15, I had to check my difficulty settings to make sure I'd not turned on Game Mode or similar.

Either something is a bit amiss or the whole aircraft is made of the same rubber as your average bouncy ball....

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Hmm - I've yet to do any off-airport landing and have the jet survive in one piece. If you land on flat ground however, it should survive.

I did lose the vertical stab yesterday as the result of a mid-air, and no yaw developed as expected. I didn't check to see if the rudder still worked.

The aircraft should have entered an unrecoverable flat spin/roll/stall/crash, but I landed normally.

Best regards,

Tango.

ok so im diving 45 degree, CCIP bombing run in training, I drop good effect, but wait I'm diving to fast and to steep I pull up to late and I pancake (again) i bounce off ground and continue flying.

ugh no... just no.

if its because I'm immortal I will laugh here let me go do something stupid :P

EDIT: yea training must be immortal that still doesn't explain my other pancake incidents tho in ME.

Edited by =LFC=Chameleon_Silk

Well, there is the recovery switch, maybe there is also a immortality switch somewhere. :) Seriously though, might have something to do with those "last minute" additions to the damage modeling that LN made.

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

I totally failed my first landing and I thought to myself "here comes the BOOM!" but the plane just happily bounced along the runway until I regained control and merrily drove it back to the parking spot. Yeah, it needs tuning, ANY other plane would have been a hole in the ground with that "landing". Still, loving the plane, can't enough of it. Thanks LN!

AMD FX-6300

8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP DDR3 RAM

SAPPHIRE HD 7790 DUAL-X O/C 1GB DDR5

2TB SEAGATE HDD

WIN7 ULTIMATE X64

I think I agree with those who said it maybe takes too much damage.

When I crash landed with 450kph and over 3meters per second vertical velocity I ripped off both wings, the gear and parts of the tail, and the remaining "pipe" of an airplane rolled over 100 meters. The pilot died, and the rest of the plane was on fire, but I expected to explode, it didn't do that.

As seen in this picture, the MiG-21 can fly inside the fireball of a nuke without taking very much damage. I could actually see stuff exploding in front of me as I was flying away from the explosion.

H22Dnj6.jpg

While this is pretty cool looking, it might be a little too strong?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pancaked down on a ventral fuel tank in a horrible attempt at a field ditch when I was out of fuel, expecting the fuel tank to either explode being full of fumes or soften my landing. What happened. It bounched back in the air to quite the altitude

Later I tried ditching it on a road, gear clipped the railing of a bridge, I bounched upwards instantly blackingout, plane flipped inverted and came down upside down. slid for 50 meters or so before coming to a halt upside down... no damage

Several of my friends I fly with report the same thing, little too much durability.

I'll post track next time it happens (for sure it will)

Holy crap you guys are mean to the girl..

I flew the same plane for 4 hours yesterday, testing it out, learning the systems, landing, refueling, taking off, all about 6 or 7 times.

No damage at all.

I actually had a pretty realistic experience. A buddy of mine threw a nuke, I was a good distance away but I heard the pressurewave striking my plane.

The plane flew fine for another landing and takeoff, no apparent damage as I was at a real far and high distance away from the blast. So didnt think much of it..

Until I 30 minutes later slowly started to loose power over 5-10 minutes, I ended up flying allmost at a constant stall even with afterburner, my nosegear didnt want to come up after I missed my first emergency landing approach (no touchdown) so It really felt like something in the engine was affected from that previous blastwave, and slowly degraded over time. I pulled all emergency wheel handles, landed the bird okay, but a bit to fast. Parachute just went poof when I deployed it (must have been going around 400 kmt I think), so off the runway, bouncy bouncy aaaaand fireball.

All in all, pretty cool experience in DCS.

Only thing Im still a bit iffy about is that wierd sideways jumpyness on takeoff.. Just feels wierd.