MSI GTX970 Gaming OC 4GB First Thoughts

To me EDGE is a non-issue. However it shakes out, it is likely that it will perform better on a 980 w/4GB than a 780 w/3GB.

I also plan on a CPU/Mobo/Mem upgrade this winter and the 980 will stay when that happens. My 780 is a year old and will be reused in another machine, which needs a better card, so it isn't a loss. There is also the fact that I was about ready to get a 780ti when the 980s dropped with excellent prices and the 4GB of VRAM that I really wanted so the money was all but spent anyway.

EDIT: Happy Days, just got a delivery schedule for the 980. Friday. Very nice. :D

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

EDIT: Happy Days, just got a delivery schedule for the 980. Friday. Very nice. :D

Will be interested to hear how you (and indeed anyone else) gets on with the new card. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger for a complete new rig, the only thing holding me back now is the lack of 980 availability in the UK. Once supply ramps up then I'm all in.

Also, if anyone else out there is running other stuff like A3 etc.. would be interested in your feedback to see what difference the new cards are making.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

question, why not wait for edge to see the performance benchmarks?

Thoughts guys? On holding off till Edge...?

Ideally we'd all like to do this of course, but the truth is we really don't know when EDGE will release. It could be next week, or it could be after the next series of Nvidea GPU's are released. As Cichlid said, it seems fair to assume these 9 series cards will perform better than whatever they are replacing anyway.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Ideally we'd all like to do this of course, but the truth is we really don't know when EDGE will release. It could be next week, or it could be after the next series of Nvidea GPU's are released. As Cichlid said, it seems fair to assume these 9 series cards will perform better than whatever they are replacing anyway.

I totally hear what you are sayin bud...it's just so up in the air right now with Edge, lol.

Well @ least I got the O.K from wife for the new card whichever one I spring for...lol...I'll chalk this one up to being recently married...35days fresh :lol:

"it don't matter, no more..."

==========================================

Lucky you ;) Congratulations though. One thing I would suggest you consider is SLI 970s over a single 980. We do know that EDGE will make use of multiple GPU's. I think I'm going to get a single Gigabyte 970 G1 now and see how that goes, if EDGE demands it I'll add another down the line.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I keep reading about Edge and how we should wait for it to releases before making upgrades. I have a question, why is waiting so recommended?

Maybe i am missing something, but my thought process is if your upgrading or building new rig it should not matter much when edge comes out as it ( edge would be based (coded) to take advantage(use) what tech is currently available.

Am I missing something here.

I am looking to build new rig due to take advantage of recent advances.

Also, what are the current thoughts and /or experience with ddr4 memory?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] CPIAS FOR Saitek:

Saitek Flight instrument panels and X-52 pro mfd scripts for Dcs

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94174

Lucky you ;) Congratulations though. One thing I would suggest you consider is SLI 970s over a single 980. We do know that EDGE will make use of multiple GPU's. I think I'm going to get a single Gigabyte 970 G1 now and see how that goes, if EDGE demands it I'll add another down the line.

Thx m8!.

I don't have the option to SLI on my mobo...I don't think...the only free slot for me left is a PCI.

We'll all see how it goes sooner or later :thumbup:

"it don't matter, no more..."

==========================================

I keep reading about Edge and how we should wait for it to releases before making upgrades. I have a question, why is waiting so recommended?

Maybe i am missing something, but my thought process is if your upgrading or building new rig it should not matter much when edge comes out as it ( edge would be based (coded) to take advantage(use) what tech is currently available.

Am I missing something here.

I am looking to build new rig due to take advantage of recent advances.

Also, what are the current thoughts and /or experience with ddr4 memory?

Of course, for a new rig, you always purchase the most recent version.

But i want to see how my "old" Gtx680 SLI configuration will manage the new program. If the upgrade is worth the cost.

It is why i need the comments of the owners of the new version.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Got the EVGA Superclocked 980. Wow!!! This thing is idling around like 28C, and that's with fans off! The card is semi-passive. They kick in only around 50-60C.

To say the least, Maxwell chips are beast. Got DCS maxed out with mirrors, 1024 displays, TSAA (no idea what it does) and it's rocking a solid 60.

Now, where is that EDGE thing? :)

I have SLI 970's ordered, one for each eyeball, along with an Oculus Rift and I cant wait to see DCS in action with it either on the display or being pumped directly into my brain. But I still have at least a month wait, particularly for the OR before I get to experience it. That should give some time for the supposed OR/Nvidia features to actually manifest in the software though. I'm thoroughly convinced OR will be the way to go after trying it, especially if the CV1 ends up boasting better resolution.

Edited by xaoslaad

my new Asus GTX 970 STRIX has arrive yesterday i didn't install it yet no time...:P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

my new Asus GTX 970 STRIX has arrive yesterday i didn't install it yet no time...:P

My Asus 980 has been here since Friday. Hopefully, I will get it installed tomorrow. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

can you guys with the 970 report frame times you are getting in relation to number of objects on the screen? on my GTX 770 the problem seems is that after a while the maximum heat (TDP) for the card is reached and it downclocks introducing a micro stutter.

i get around 7ms of frame time and around 11-15ms when it stutters/downclocks, mostly after 2 minutes of play, locking 60 fps into the cfg file seems to solve this somewhat but i'm wondering what happens if i upgrade to the 970

Asus GTX 770, intel4770k, 20gb ram

1360x768, medium settings

I too am trying to decide to if I should get sli 970's or gtx 980?

A 980 is something like 10% faster than a 970 and costs almost twice as much. In contrast two 970's will cost a bit more than a 980 and should beat the pants off of it. Benchmarks I've seen on tech sites appear to back that up. But on the power side two 970's from what I've read need a 700-800w psu wheras a 980 can likely make due with less, maybe 500w range like a single 970. I made the choice to go with the 970's and think for my situation they were the right choice.

......costs almost twice as much....

This.

Cannot possibly justify a 980 by any stretch of the imagination, even more so when mildly overclocking a 970 brings it on par with a reference 980.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Check this out, one more test comparing 970 to 980 and vs AMD GPUs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2837828/graphics-card-slugfest-amd-and-nvidias-most-powerful-gaming-hardware-compared.html

Gives answers to most questions that can arise with newest pricing too.

I think, it will be the MSI GTX-970 MSI for me. It runs a lot cooler than the Asus GTX STryx versions that seem to cook off according to Toms Hardware testing. The 980 is faster, yes, but only if you can pay almost twice for ⅓ more power... can't afford that much.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm curious to know what you guys think of the GTX 780ti on sale for $400 US Dollars. Still worth it to get the 970?

no...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog