[NO BUG AND WILL NOT CHANGE] MiG-29 HUD shows up on MFD

otester

you need to set a key for repeater mode, there is no default one, but they've updated it, so now it looks like this

Lt4fGRw.png

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In combat mode I understand some of what is being represented on the HDD but not sure. The symbols are different.

BTW, anyone notice that the IAS on the HUD and in the cockpit panel don't correspond?

the MFD symbols are pretty easy, anything with a T shape, that includes ones with a < or a > are enemies, anything with a o or an O is a friendly

and the hud shows tas, the airspeed indicator shows ias... depending on what mode you're in i think....

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the HUD: you have the TAS when there's a T symbol (ex. 550T, just try going into bvr mode)

On the MFD on the low-right corner is always shown the TAS.

Yes I understand that in NAV mode you see IAS on the top left corner of the HUD and in combat mode you see TAS on the HUD. Having said that, what I'm referring to is the cockpit instruments include TAS and IAS. When in combat mode you see the same speed for the TAS on the HUD as you do on the cockpit instrument but in NAV mode the IAS speed on the cockpit instrument is different than the IAS speed on the HUD.

the MFD symbols are pretty easy, anything with a T shape, that includes ones with a < or a > are enemies, anything with a o or an O is a friendly

and the hud shows tas, the airspeed indicator shows ias... depending on what mode you're in i think....

On the lower left is the scale, I understand that...too bad there is no more grid.

As you increase/decrease the scale, what looks like a representation of the radar's cone range is a bit confusing how it works.

the inner cone is your missile range, the outer cone is your radar range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the inner cone is your missile range, the outer cone is your radar range.

Thank you.

Having that information is helpful.

• I was wondering if there was some way to repeat other instruments on the HDD besides the HUD?
  • Also the MIG-29's HSI is missing the required heading and distance to waypoint, any ideas how to fix it?
  • Is there someplace to post all the broken stuff so it might get on the fix list, especially what wasn't broken before?

nope the MFD only shows the HUD, radar, or airfields...

HSI seems to work sometimes, but not others... and i think it just shows distance to the next waypoint... it's two analog wheel gauges right above the radio compass... no idea about anything else about it... i never use it cause of the MFD... when you're in nav mode press 1 again, and it sets it to waypoint mode.

the mig-29 is kinda a... legacy plane... a reminder of the past... i don't think any bugs will be fixed in it... but it would be nice... also a 6dof pit would be wicked...

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The triangle points towards your waypoint i believe...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The triangle points towards your waypoint i believe...

Thanks.

On another note: You also mentioned the first range on the HDD indicates the weapon's range, however if that's so it would seem the ranges indicated for the weapons are short in their indications. For example the R-77 has a range indication of 10 Km on the HDD, however their range can be 15-75Km depending on the plane's altitude. I've taken the plane from 1000m up to 10,000m and still no change in the indicated missile range.

the inner cone shows the effective range of the missile, nothing to do with the position or direction of travel of either plane... basically, if the enemy plane is within that cone, and you get a missile lock, as long as the plane stays within that cone, the missile probably won't miss... as an example... take some R-73s and some R-77s and switch between them, you'll see...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the R-77 has a range indication of 10 Km on the HDD...

EDIT: The Su-27 manual refers to that number: "The display scale is indicated in the lower left corner". And it is the same in the MiG-29. Just checked

What does the triangle represent at the very top of the screen on the radar range? It moves left and right along the arch of the radar range indicator.

That and the short vertical line at the 12 o' clock position give you the lateral cross-check error measurement. I haven't paid enough attention to it to know if it's in reference to a way point or a locked target. So much to learn. :) EDIT II: It refers to the point of interest selected--either a way point or a locked target.

Rich

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 2 months later...
Guest deeplodokus

hello!

so, if the middle display is a hud repeater, that makes navigation pretty difficult?

from this thread i'm understanding that radar mode on middle display is a DCS artefact that doesn't exist on the real mig29, is that correct?

thanks!:)

so, if the middle display is a hud repeater, that makes navigation pretty difficult?

from this thread i'm understanding that radar mode on middle display is a DCS artefact that doesn't exist on the real mig29, is that correct?

Yes, apparently it doesn't exist. It probably could have been put there, but given the limitations of the MiG-29 in radar range, quantity of fuel and BVR missiles, it would have been a waste of money. Navigation presentation on the MFDs was probably present in the very much improved MiG-29M or K, but those failed to enter service due to the breakup of the SU.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Guest deeplodokus
Yes, apparently it doesn't exist. It probably could have been put there, but given the limitations of the MiG-29 in radar range, quantity of fuel and BVR missiles, it would have been a waste of money. Navigation presentation on the MFDs was probably present in the very much improved MiG-29M or K, but those failed to enter service due to the breakup of the SU.

mh, okay. funny to see that what seems to be (to me at least) a minor piece of software is not present on a jet that was built 1600 times (according to wikipedia!). because really, all the hardware needed to do that is present (the display is there, the radar is there... so it's just software, isn't it?)

not true ijozic,MiG-29K due to enter service with Russian navy replacing SU-33. http://www.ruaviation.com/news/2014/4/25/2291/

The MiG-29K/KUB currently being inducted to the Russian naval aviation is the new updated 9.41/9.47 version.

Ijozic was refering to the older prototype versions(9.15 and 9.31 respectively) from the late eighties. These had two multifunctional CRT displays from which many functions could be accessed, though most combat functions could be controlled directly via HOTAS.

Mind you, they were true multirole fighters and their entire systems suite(radar, RWS, navigation, comms etc) and display system was completely different to that of the baseline MiG-29(9.12 and 9.13S) that we have in DCS.

As to why this only have HUD repition function on the HDD, I think it had to do with how the MiG-29 was intended to be operated - i.e. with a high reliance on GCI to find the targets, uplink the target information and display it directly on the HUD and even cue the onboard radar to look in the right direction(to acquire them for missile launch)......an aspect thats missing in the DCS MiG-29 representation :) .

JJ

As to why this only have HUD repition function on the HDD, I think it had to do with how the MiG-29 was intended to be operated - i.e. with a high reliance on GCI to find the targets, uplink the target information and display it directly on the HUD and even cue the onboard radar to look in the right direction(to acquire them for missile launch)......an aspect thats missing in the DCS MiG-29 representation :) .

Yes, that was what I had in mind with "given the limitations of the MiG-29 in radar range, quantity of fuel and BVR missiles, it would have been a waste of money". Fuel and radar range wouldn't allow the MiG to freely roam around and search for targets like Su-27 did so to make effective use of its limited range it had to be guided to its target by the GCI to which (because of the asymmetrical load limitation) it would normally probably fire both of its BVR missiles.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!