Why do I have to trim the A10C on takeoff now?

Dudester22

Since applying the patches I have noticed a change when taking off. Before I never had to trim the A10C on takeoff, but now when I lift off the run way the nose of the aircraft starts to rise and I have to trim it down. Why is this happening now when it didn't before? Thanks!

I dont know,, but I have always pressed the takeoff trim button prior to taking off. I dont know if it actually functions or not, just part of my startup procedure.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I dont know,, but I have always pressed the takeoff trim button prior to taking off. I dont know if it actually functions or not, just part of my startup procedure.

It does function, you can try for yourself. Trim the stick while on the ground, then press the takeoff trim button :)

It does function, you can try for yourself. Trim the stick while on the ground, then press the takeoff trim button :)

Would the trim takeoff button be the button that lights up green when you press it? Because if it is I have always done this as part of the startup procedure. Also, how would you trim the stick on the ground when you have no idea how your aircraft is trimmed while on the ground? Or is there a way to tell you how the aircraft is trimmed on the ground?

I am also using a Warthog Hotas, so the stiick should set itself up. I'm not new to this, so I know it's not something I'm doing wrong, it's just the aircraft needs to be trimmed down alot on takeoff and this wasn't the case before. If I show you a track it's only going to show you what I'm telling you about the aircraft pitching up, so don't see the point in that.

Edited by Dudester22

Would the trim takeoff button be the button that lights up green when you press it? Because if it is I have always done this as part of the startup procedure. Also, how would you trim the stick on the ground when you have no idea how your aircraft is trimmed while on the ground? Or is there a way to tell you how the aircraft is trimmed on the ground?

As far as i know the default trim setting(ingame ofc) is in the takeoff position, when pressed it lights up immediately. However if you were to trim the stick full left for example, pressing the T/O Trim will reset the stick and the light will confirm the takeoff trim is set.

Also, what is your flap position on takeoff?

Since applying the patches I have noticed a change when taking off. Before I never had to trim the A10C on takeoff, but now when I lift off the run way the nose of the aircraft starts to rise and I have to trim it down. Why is this happening now when it didn't before?

Which patches?

I just set up a short mission and took off relatively heavy, landed, had all external payload removed and then took off again. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, therefore cannot directly answer your question.

However, do you know the old mantra "help us help you"?

By now it seems your problem is not well known and has not been experienced by those who took the time to respond. That seems to indicate that either your sensation of flight has changed or something in your DCS installation has changed, whereas no such change seems to have occurred for the others here.

So, the more information you supply the easier it should be to narrow this thing down.

Also, how would you trim the stick on the ground when you have no idea how your aircraft is trimmed while on the ground? Or is there a way to tell you how the aircraft is trimmed on the ground?

I think the answer to all of these questions is: "Takeoff trim"

Since you won't know for sure how the aircraft has been trimmed by the end of the previous flight, you press the "Takeoff trim" button as part of the startup procedure and all trim tabs will be reset to the neutral position (or maybe a position that is not neutral, but well suited for most take-offs; the manual doesn't get into any detail there).

I'm not new to this, so I know it's not something I'm doing wrong, [...] If I show you a track it's only going to show you what I'm telling you about the aircraft pitching up, so don't see the point in that.

Let's check some variables...

- DCS Version

- Mission (SP/MP/Quick Start/Campaign/ME/Training)

- Game flight mode checked?

- Installed mods, changed configuration files

- Does your stick show normal values outside of DCS?

- Wind

- Air temperature

- Air pressure

- Loadout

- Fuel

- Altitude

- Take-off procedure including use of...

-- Thrust

-- Rudder

-- Flaps

-- Stick

-- Airbrakes

We can go on for 5 pages until you've provided details on each of these, or you could at the very least start by uploading a track for us so we don't have to beat each little bit of information out of you.

Of course it should be self-explanatory that you should also supply information on all of the above mentioned variables that will not be automatically revealed by the track itself.

And I'm not saying that anyone will jump in and tell you exactly what's wrong once you've supplied all that.

I'm just saying that if you make us guess and question everything, this could either go on for all eternity or people will get bored and the thread will fall asleep until someone else encounters a similar problem some two years from now, thinking "man it would have been great if that fella had give more details back then!"

@Yurgon - Yes, your right and I will upload a track. I will do some other test before this though, like trying it in offline mode and checking for wind ect. it's a bit late here now, but I will come back and let you know tomorrow.

One question before I do this testing though. Does anyone know if a repair of DCS resets your keys? I have mine setup just right and wouldn't want to ruin that. Thanks!

Since applying the patches I have noticed a change when taking off. Before I never had to trim the A10C on takeoff, but now when I lift off the run way the nose of the aircraft starts to rise and I have to trim it down. Why is this happening now when it didn't before? Thanks!

T/O trim button is part of start up sequence, after switching the SAS channels, and at takeoff. Trim-reset command performs the same, except it does not have to be held down. Both 'untrim' the aircraft.

I don't notice any difference in the performance after take off. I always clean the aircraft first, before attempting to trim.

Event if it is, i would not be too concerned. Trim position is not an absolute on the A10 (it is not measured), you adjust mostly by feel, and fine tune it with your instruments to get smooth level coordinated flight. A little more / less, no big issue.

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

Does anyone know if a repair of DCS resets your keys? I have mine setup just right and wouldn't want to ruin that.

You should be okay. AFAIK a repair will work in the DCS installation directory, that is C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\ by default.

Your key assignments are stored in C:\Users\{Your Username}\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\ instead.

To be on the safe side, you should simply backup C:\Users\{Your Username}\Saved Games\DCS\ before the repair. In theory, that should be enough to restore your keys (though it might not work later, after you've applied an update to DCS, because new keys might have been added or existing keys renamed internally with an update).

Edited by Yurgon
Path corrected

Just my experience, but weight seems to play a major role in how my plane reacts on takeoff. With a decent loadout I have no problems, but if I go with a completely empty plane, then I find myself easily hitting a 15-20 deg climb as immediately after wheels up. Like you said, I have to trim down a lot once I take off, but only with a light-weight loadout.

"Would you say we'd be venturing into a "Zone of Danger?"