Suncom SFS and Talon restoration and mods

I was working on 5Way switch last few days.

Sergey_Pe pointed out to me that I cannot simply wire Alps switch like TM switch because diagonals will not work. He gave me this schematics:

zwMBIWK.jpg

Problem for me was that everything is so tiny and I have to use SMD components for the first time. I hope it will work. I uploaded PCB to OSH Park. Diodes that I used are 1N4148 SOD123 package.

befaff92b4ae095a1731f2ef0747b12f.png

eea98cb04cd51af6afb39a15bc7add27.png

It could be used with holder that I uploaded to my Sapeways store.

8K8BflT.jpg

Edited by debolestis

Do you have looked at RKJXM1015001?

ALPS.png

This has similar size and looks that work similar to 4+push HAT in joysticks, the diagonals is done be pressing 2 adjacent contacts (e.g. A+B):

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2160637.pdf?_ga=1.229147487.254381987.1479846468

Don't have individual contacts for diagonals like in RKJXL100401V.

This things is done to work as encoder. :)

BTW - The 3 way switch MCPL3-VC-V (back and forth + press) has suitable size (~12x12x3mm) for use in B-8 "F5" or Suncom acquisition switch:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1673648.pdf?_ga=1.240757184.254381987.1479846468

Just need a appropriated cap.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Well, five pull-up resistors with asteriks need to be present anyway (with any switch); but you are right, it's not for the faint-hearted :). Speaking seriously, I've made a layout in Sprint format to be used in Talon as a side hat (attached). As it also requires power and ground connection I've designed it as a pass-through board for the output cable from the shift register board in the grip. I've also done a similar layout to use RKJXM as a generic 5-way hat switch- I'll publish it here if anyone is interested.

RKJXM.zip

Hi Sergey_Pe, thank you for doing a great job!

Can you tell me where did you manufacture this board?

attachment.php?attachmentid=151683&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1479226211

I tried on OSH Park but it is too expensive. OSH Park bills for the smallest rectangle that would enclose a design, so it costs 58$ for 3 boards.

Save

Edited by debolestis

Hi Sergey_Pe, thank you for doing a great job!

Can you tell me where did you manufacture this board?

I tried on OSH Park but it is too expensive. OSH Park bills for the smallest rectangle that would enclose a design, so it costs 58$ for 3 boards.

Save

Thanks debolestis!

I'm ordering from a local PCB manufacturer (Moscow, Russia); it's a former employer of my colleague who has some friends there, so I enjoy special prices (about 50% of what OSH is charging, though not too cheap still). A guy from Russian Il-2 forum is recommending this company: https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion_pcb.html; there is also a huge number of other Chinese PCB manufacturers offering their services on eBay but I never tried them.

I checked Seed studio and good news is that price is 10$ for 10 PCBs. They send via DHL and it is +22$.

New problem is that I am not familiar with Sprint layout program and I don't know how to convert lay6 files to gerber files. Help please.

Edited by debolestis

AFAIK the only way to convert .lay into Gerber files is to make an export directly from Sprint Layout. What PCB's you would like to convert? I can do it for you, no problem

Thank you, I need 3 PCBs in THIS LINK.

On Il2 forum I found this PCB:

This PCB also has 2 shift registers but original switches layout, so basically just replace old PCB with this one and grip works without further modifications.

Right; but you won't get the central button on either of the hats. And the original Suncom hat mechanism- well, let's be polite- is far from being perfect...

Please give me a day or two for the file conversion.

Right; but you won't get the central button on either of the hats. And the original Suncom hat mechanism- well, let's be polite- is far from being perfect...

Please give me a day or two for the file conversion.

Yes, I understand that but I think there will be people who are interested in that as well.

Yes, I understand that but I think there will be people who are interested in that as well.

I do agree. A small correction of these files is needed- the bottom mounting hole is displaced just a bit. Actually they are based on a template provided by MegaMozg (http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/4704-suncom-f15e-talon-sfs-throttle/?do=findComment&comment=439085); I used it as well for the test version of the board and found this mistake. I'll correct it before conversion.

I've made some minor adjustments to the layout, adding the base board and the "central button logic correction" PCB for RKJXM. As long as all the boards still fit the rectangle of the same size (so the price will be the same), I think it's worth converting this new version.

TalonV2_1.thumb.JPG.cb5b38e48693abc486e7bd8daaa80241.JPG

And here is the second set (my PCB's for ALPS switches with RLJXL/ RKJXM option). One word of warning: although I've used Gerber/ Excellon export function for PCB ordering once (and it worked fine), I cannot guarantee 100%- compatibility with a particular manufacturer's requirements. On the other hand, they are usually doing some pre-check, informing the customer about any issues/ unclear points.

Conversion_1.zip

Thanks Sergey..awesome stuff.

Debolestis....i would take a couple of those boards off your hands...let me know please what how much you want for two then need to figure how much it is to ship to Canada.

Is there any connectors that i will need to solder to the board, and what would they be called so i can buy some......

Ya, if you haven't guessed, total amateur hour over here [lol].

Thanks

WITH ENOUGH THRUST, LIFT IS IRRELEVANT!

OK, I'll write a tutorial here and list all components. I'll order this week but I don't know when PCBs will arrive. Notice that this is not something a begginer can solder, I don't know if I can. SMD components are tiny.

I'll upload a part list here in a couple of days; nothing special or expensive.

BusterBust, the connectors are JST PH with 2 mm pitch. 1x 2-pin,1x 4-pin, 1x 5-pin and 2x angular 6-pin ones are needed. I'm ordering them on eBay, there is plenty of offers; the most handy way is to buy the sets of plug- socket pairs already wired.

296594779_JSTPH2_0.thumb.jpg.a0547b017454acecb20bf6c8efcaab9e.jpg

Pardon the n00b question, but I want to make sure I'm following the thread correctly. This PCB will let you convert a Talon stick into a Warthog-base-pin compatible device, right?

Rewire the Talon, modify the base with a Warthog threaded device, and it will be swappable with a Warthog stick?

If so, count me in for one of those PCBs, just let me know cost and additional components required!

Pardon the n00b question, but I want to make sure I'm following the thread correctly. This PCB will let you convert a Talon stick into a Warthog-base-pin compatible device, right?

Rewire the Talon, modify the base with a Warthog threaded device, and it will be swappable with a Warthog stick?

Yes like this B8 grip I converted.

zbt2Fdr.jpg

Edited by debolestis