Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Man Oh Man that does look good:thumbup: lol Hey Loz I remember when sex was safe and motorcycles would kill ya..:smartass::music_whistling::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

For me, the front facing camera is not nteresting. It's the little P-I-P camera that's of interest - to most DCS fans, I'm thinking.

Honestly, I didn't even know about the Predator'ish looking views.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you have a none steam version of dcs do you have to add the dcs executable to the steam OS library? It appears that all HTC VIVE games must be run through the steam OS, since it requires Steam VR. Am I correct in saying that?

Edited by Buznee

If you have a none steam version of dcs do you have to add the dcs executable to the steam OS library? It appears that all HTC VIVE games must be run through the steam OS, since it requires Steam VR. Am I correct in saying that?

I believe you just need to install steamVR from steam. SteamVR will then hook to the standalone DCS. At least that is the case with some other titles such as Elite Dangerous.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

So essentially you run steam OS and steam vr and then open the game executable from desktop?

No need to even do that (at least with ELite Dangerous). Just install steamVR to your PC from steam (and set it up once). That's it. No need to open steam each time. Just open the game and if you have selected hmd or VR mode in options it automatically opens on the headset. I can't say for sure that the DCS implementation will be the same but it should be similar i.e no need to run the game from steam.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Vive is now suggesting that you will be able to access all Steam games with the Vive is some sort of Movie mode. Nobody knows exactly what that means yet. It would be huge if it means we could play all Steam games in VR, but it might just mean that the VR headset is just acting like a monitor, in non VR games.

it might just mean that the VR headset is just acting like a monitor, in non VR games.

It's highly likely to be that.

The Rift has a similar thing going for the Xbox One, (and probably PC games too), I think.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

LOL. It's like an arms race, isn't it?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I've got this running in the Pre. Very cool stuff so far.

However, my "hands" seem to be aligned incorrectly with the controllers. Is there some kind of calibration I'm supposed to do to get the hands working correctly? Are they supposed to be able to interact with the cockpit? Pulling the trigger seemed to do nothing...

I've got this running in the Pre. Very cool stuff so far.

However, my "hands" seem to be aligned incorrectly with the controllers. Is there some kind of calibration I'm supposed to do to get the hands working correctly? Are they supposed to be able to interact with the cockpit? Pulling the trigger seemed to do nothing...

It's unlikely the controllers are implemented in the current release. An updated VR release is due with better cockpit interaction. The specifics of that are still unknown.

Could you please comment on cockpit instrument and HUD readability in the Vive?

It's unlikely the controllers are implemented in the current release. An updated VR release is due with better cockpit interaction. The specifics of that are still unknown.

Could you please comment on cockpit instrument and HUD readability in the Vive?

It's a bit clearer than it was on my DK2. However, the head tracking is much better, allowing you to really stick your face up to everything. Often times in the DK2 the tracking would "skip", making the use of MFDs a particular pain.

One problem I was having with the Vive is that the mouse cursor was slaved to head movement, so it was made grabbing smaller switches and knobs a bit more difficult. The cursor also seemed to render at a variable depth, sometimes causing it's image to split when it was too close to the viewpoint.

I'm sure they'll be able to sort this stuff... especially once they get the Vive controllers to track correctly. They already have two gloved hand models attached to the controllers, but like I said they are not oriented correctly with the controllers making them almost impossible to use.

Setting up the IR camera MFD on the A10 was extremely immersive other than the finicky mouse pointer.

Also, with the Vive it is doing full room tracking, so you can actually stand up and walk outside and around the plane while it's flying. Which is both thrilling and ridiculous.

Edited by FlyinJ

It's a bit clearer than it was on my DK2. However, the head tracking is much better, allowing you to really stick your face up to everything. Often times in the DK2 the tracking would "skip", making the use of MFDs a particular pain.

One problem I was having with the Vive is that the mouse cursor was slaved to head movement, so it was made grabbing smaller switches and knobs a bit more difficult. The cursor also seemed to render at a variable depth, sometimes causing it's image to split when it was too close to the viewpoint.

I'm sure they'll be able to sort this stuff... especially once they get the Vive controllers to track correctly. They already have two gloved hand models attached to the controllers, but like I said they are not oriented correctly with the controllers making them almost impossible to use.

Setting up the IR camera MFD on the A10 was extremely immersive other than the finicky mouse pointer.

Also, with the Vive it is doing full room tracking, so you can actually stand up and walk outside and around the plane while it's flying. Which is both thrilling and ridiculous.

Awesome info!

Thanks for sharing! Please keep us posted on any updates or further notables.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VIVE MARCH UPDATE

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162487

IF ANYONE MISSED THIS POST.

I cant understand why ANYONE would buy an oculus at this point over a vive, and it makes it worse the HTC has demo's now in stores in the UK and testing all over and oculus doesnt because they "dont have the units to sent out." IE HTC phone manufacture just spit that shit out like hotcakes.

the 1 and ONLY reason would be money and not wanting the controlers for dcs but even then just makes me scrach my head after you spent the money for the system.

Edited by OldE24

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Sigh.

Not only have I not found any stores in the UK with a Vive, but the ones that are supposed to be stocking/selling them don't even know when or even if they will have one.

btw - we've all seen the post you link to. What of it?

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Indeed. How does Wags post, in even the smallest way, indicate that the Vive is the unit to prefer? Have you actually been to a store with a Vive?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You speak for everyone now, do you?

...in comes the Rift brigade, to baseless defend against someone stating that they think the Vive is better... in the Vive thread.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The

You speak for everyone now, do you?

...in comes the Rift brigade, to baseless defend against someone stating that they think the Vive is better... in the Vive thread.

I speak for myself and that's enough. If you are so interested in the subject and haven't seen it then there is nothing more to say.

I actually find your reply most amusing.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162487

I cant understand why ANYONE would buy an oculus at this point over a vive

the 1 and ONLY reason would be money and not wanting the controlers for dcs but even then just makes me scrach my head after you spent the money for the system.

There are a number of reasons, really. Cost is one, but there are also those don't have an interest in room-scale, especially those that are merely interested in VR for simulations like E.g. DCS or iRacing. It is also said that some find the screen quality to be better in the Rift.

All the differences will be most clear when people start receiving their pre-orders.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just can't understand how anyone can have an opinion one way or another yet. Nobody has tried both products in dcs so what's it based on? Having an opinion is fine but the provocative way in which the opinion is delivered is bound to provoke a response from 'the other side'.

I want both headsets to be great. I want both of them to work in dcs and I want people to stop buying into the media spun Vive v Rift hype. The more people who buy into VR be it from Oculus or HTC or whoever the better chance it has of succeeding and then we all benefit.

I speak for myself and that's enough.

Then you probably shouldn't say things like "we've all".

If you are so interested in the subject and haven't seen it then there is nothing more to say.

What? That just sounds like a poor attempt at intellectual elitism.

I actually find your reply most amusing.

Why's that?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]