Should DCS World.. Have a world map?

DataHawk

Should DCS World.. Have a world map?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCS World.. Have a world map?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I see little point in it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It should model the globe, perhaps as blank land and water initially. Then slowly but surely fill in details that cover textures and objects as a function of time in areas pertinent to particular time frames and locations.

It would be a patchwork quilt that could slowly grow into a really detailed terrain spanning anywhere aircraft have flown in space and time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be a patchwork quilt that could slowly grow into a really detailed terrain spanning anywhere aircraft have flown in space and time.

And it would probably have to be a radically overhauled engine to support such a thing but... hey its a beautiful idea.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I think DCS should concentrate on areas of the globe where current and upcoming planes historically operated:

a) in a meaningful way, ie, major combat theaters

b) then in other areas such as test ranges, zones where limited combat or minor but interesting combat occurred

But set it up that the entire globe exists, as an earlier commenter said.

I think it would work out to DCS's benefit if minimum characteristics and quality for third party additions be established. Farm it out with the restriction that, if DCS isn't happy with the quality of a new map, they can reject it. Allow for third party developers to be assigned specific regions to build.

Additionally, it might be an idea to allow for overlays to "update" a map that is released, so that different server admins can mod away, using sets of tools made available, and not alter the underlying structure. An overlay (for lack of better term) would not break a system in a meaningful way. If it hoses tings up, remove it, and the original is in place. No core mods.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

And it would probably have to be a radically overhauled engine to support such a thing but...

Which is why there is little point in lobbying for it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It should model the globe, perhaps as blank land and water initially. Then slowly but surely fill in details that cover textures and objects as a function of time in areas pertinent to particular time frames and locations.

That is how I imagine a DCS globe model being built as well.:thumbup:

Nah. Anything less than "DCS: Solar System" isn't worth the hazzle. I need some ... space to take out my ... DCS: X-Wing for a ride.

It would be nice to have targets for an ASM-135 so a low earth orbit would be nice as well. As for a DCS module, I'd rather have the K'Vort or B'rel class Bird of Prey. The X-wing is for Skywalker wannabees!:smilewink:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Which is why there is little point in lobbying for it.

Wasn't what you said.

What is with this place though? If it ain't on the feature list or its been listed as "low priority" then suddenly everyone feels the need to put stuff down. Just let the mods put this into the wishlist section, let everyone gush about a great idea, then it'll die like the rest of them.

Ever since I got the whole planet in FSX, I've wanted it in other sims. I know why it's not available or on the radar for DCS currently, but I think it's worth working toward.

I've always thought that a blank globe that we could plug maps and airports into would be nice way to build up to it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

A must have

+1

imagine being able to join online servers each with different theatres eg.

- A10s over Syria/Iraq

- A10s over Afghanistan

- Mig 21s over Vietnam, etc

each with their own missions, etc.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

A world map , Even empty , is hell to implement. That Involves Specific Mechanisms ( and to begin , spherical coordinates system, or a way to simulate it). you have to rethink all the "earth" to 3D world coordinates (since you can't make an absolute coordinate up to 8800 km (8 800 000 m) or you'll have big précisions problems). It's not just a bigger map it's an whole different way to think the engine.

Nah. Anything less than "DCS: Solar System" isn't worth the hazzle. I need some ... space to take out my ... DCS: X-Wing for a ride.

"Luke, at that point will we be able to pull out in time?"

"It'll be just like the Highway Of Death back home!"

:megalol:

A full world map is a must for DCS. It will allow global operations and cruise missiles!! Besides, it will be a canvas for many map developers. Nothing more satisfying than seeing your DCS world being detailed map by map until the whole earth is completed!

Many FSX scenario developers would come and make money in a full combat simulator with a brilliant future

Obviously, ED will need to give a basic world with the elevation mesh and generic terrain and water textures. They could get a license from FTX global

Edited by 7rooper

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Just imagine the potential if we had a world map in DCS (with Edge). Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Crimea, Syria, the Alps, the Grand Canyon...everywhere. I've always wished we could combine DCS and FSX (as an example). *sigh* dreams are free (development isn't)

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I said no. I want each map to moderately accurate and be set in one specific location.

This insures that the game won't suffer from lag or massive fps drops during online play.

It is also crucial when finding oponents. I could just imagine how 20 people on the server are trying to find each other above connected territory of Spain France and Germany for 5 hours and they can't find anyone, so they leave... fun right?

World map is one of the most useless things I've ever heard. Its costs and inconveniences are too high when compared to advantages in mission building it gives.

Maps should concentrate on major air offensives or parts of the globe that are interesting as a setting. For WW2 that would be Libya, Northern France+ England, Germany+ a little bit of Belgium and a little bit of Poland, Kursk-Orel area, New Guinea, a single island with water for Pacific fights eg. Okinawa etc.

For modern combat I would see possible aeras of air conflict as the most appealing. So Poland and its neighbours, parts of Scandinavia, Middle east (Israel and its neighbours), Korea etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

@^

Map size shouldn't have any effect on finding opponents or on the frame rates. FSX only has issues when you use up memory because the inefficient engine doesn't know how to dump resources once it loads them thus leading inevitably to the OOM. Moment to moment an engine built for massive maps won't have issues since it'll never load more than whats nearby, as I assume it already does in DCS.

Finding opponents is about mission design. There's nothing stopping people from flying off the edge of the map in Georgia is there?

World maps make complete sense for airliners simulations like FSX and X-plane but not for military simulations where the area of operation is very limited in space and where precision mesh, quality textures and detail are of importance. We often need to be able to recognize a precise spot somewhere when doing air to ground missions. A world map would run on very generalized textures and low precision overall, so no thanks...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]