Something Something...

-Rudel-

I see what you mean, the asymmetry makes it mechanically awkward, the lower portion of the oleo strut needs to pivot downward towards the ground, but then it might contact the wheel cradle... Plus the upper oleo's pivot doesn't seem to have much motion either.

Nothing like a mid-week riddle.

Though we need something to think about, it's been quiet around here recently...need some news!

-Nick

Yeah, if the attachment points are in roughly the same spot relative to the strut then the torque sticks need to be the same length in order to be able to fully collapse/compress the strut:

image-5_med.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they have different mounting locations on the strut...which makes it harder to draw out - at least for me.

It also looks a lot like a Zero. The strut shape looks right, wheel cradle shape is slightly off, and oleos are asymmetric (but maybe not this much).

Ehh...time for bed. Hopefully they will give us some sort of update soon.

-Nick

Shape of the strut looks good, but oleos look symmetric on the Tony.

-Nick

Well if you want to really dig down the well, from the avatar Jiro Horikoshi first plane is the Falcon, although since that specific one can't be it, there was of course the Hayabusa, Peregrine Falcon... Although he didn't do that, just following some bread crumbs to it.

Couldn't find a great shot, but the Ki-43 does look pretty close as well.

But they have different mounting locations on the strut...which makes it harder to draw out - at least for me.

It also looks a lot like a Zero. The strut shape looks right, wheel cradle shape is slightly off, and oleos are asymmetric (but maybe not this much).

Ehh...time for bed. Hopefully they will give us some sort of update soon.

-Nick

Indeed, and the way they are attached (lower one being further in) it's actually the lower torque stick that has to be the longer one, but it's the complete opposite on the 3D image :D

Well if you want to really dig down the well, from the avatar Jiro Horikoshi first plane is the Falcon, although since that specific one can't be it, there was of course the Hayabusa, Peregrine Falcon... Although he didn't do that, just following some bread crumbs to it.

Couldn't find a great shot, but the Ki-43 does look pretty close as well.

Ki-43 is close, but the oleo is oriented 90 deg to the wheel cradle on the Ki-43. On the render it is 180 deg.

I really should put down the shovel...

-Nick

The collapsable bar on the Zero attaches on the outside of the strut. In the cad pic it attaches in the middle.... Not possible for it to be the Zero unless that rendering is way way off.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Looks like the gear of an A6M variant :

attachment.php?attachmentid=116513&stc=1&d=1429273874

YellowZero.JPG.58e998641984887da9865633e7086b93.JPG

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Same could be said about Raiden gear since both share this unusual attachment points layout. Similarities end here, however, with bar lengths and rest of the strut being quite different - unless it's just a question of Rudel's render being very early WIP.

734210151_Raidenmainlg.thumb.jpg.84eb41642fce98c4873280bdd354e807.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I do not see a match with any of the suggestions posted yet. Quite a riddle :)

Agree

From all suggestions some details are missing and given the picture is so simple all little things should fit and any little difference should exclude "the candidate".

oC4CTa5.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

@ Mudcat:

Nope, both had the same landing gear, which doesn't fit anyway - bars were longitudinal to the wheel (as can be seen on Your photo), instead of perpendicular as on Rudel's "exhibit".

That's a cool riddle - the strut layout is quite distinctive compared to "usual" units found on almost any WWII plane, and yet, we struggle to guess it right.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

@ Mudcat:

Nope, both had the same landing gear, which doesn't fit anyway - bars were longitudinal to the wheel (as can be seen on Your photo), instead of perpendicular as on Rudel's "exhibit".

Totally missed that, looks like I need another cup of coffee :music_whistling:

450px-Mitsubishi_A6M_Zero_X-133_port_forward_landing_gear.JPG

I don't think you could get much closer to -Rudel-'s drawing than this. I think YASTREB deserves a Cupie doll.

Note that on this picture the upper attachment point of the upper bar is attached on the outside of the pivot point. On Rudel's picture, it is attached on the inside.