Complete Transport and Logistics Deployment - CTLD

There is something I would like to do in a mission, but I can't find an obvious approach using CTLD, so perhaps it's not possible. Upon landing, as a C-130 passes through a trigger zone, I would like it to drop a number of crates on the runway. Ideally these would be cargo crates that can then be moved by slingload with a Huey. Unfortunately, cargo crates can't be set to late/trigger activation in Mission Planner. Otherwise, that would be a very straight forward approach.

I found the following function in CTLD, but I'm not sure if it can be used with a "Do Script" instruction in Mission Planner:

"ctld.spawnCrateStatic(_country, _unitId, _point, _name, _weight)"

Is this a user-configurable function and, if so, is there an example of its use that is available? I believe I understand most of the parameters, but "_unitId" is one I'm not sure of. If this relates to the spawned crate itself, can the user assign such an ID?

Regarding the C-130, it would be great if it could be set to do a touch-and-go, immediately taking off after it drops its cargo, but this doesn't seem possible either. I tried getting it to fly just a few feet above the runway in a low pass, but I couldn't get it to go under 80 feet or so.

Anyway, any suggestions on the above will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

The way I'd do is is use a normal trigger zone of group in zone to trigger a DO SCRIPT.

Then in the do script something like:

local _unit = Unit.getByName("C-130") -- Pilot Name of C-130

local _point = _unit:getPoint()

local _country = _unit:getCountry()

ctld.spawnCrateStatic(_country, mist.getNextUnitId(),{x=_point.x+10, y=_point.y,z=_point.z+10},"Spawned Crate #1", 500) -- 500 is TOW HUMVEE

ctld.spawnCrateStatic(_country, mist.getNextUnitId(),{x=_point.x+15, y=_point.y,z=_point.z+15},"Spawned Crate #2", 505) -- 505 is MG HUMVEE

The code above would spawn two crates, at the position of the C-130 but offset by 10 meters and 15 meters for the second crate with the same country as the C-130.

You can change what type the crate is by using a different weight. Weights are listed in the ctld.spawnableCrates list.

You'll probably need to experiment with the positions by changing the offset (+15 example below) to get the crates appearing where you want them when the C-130 flies through.

{x=_point.x+15, y=_point.y,z=_point.z+15}

By default CTLD uses simulated sling loads instead of real crates as there are some stability issues but real crates can be enabled by changing ctld.slingLoad = true (https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L33)

Hope that helps! Good luck! :thumbup:

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

We keep losing the ability to interact with the CTLD menu.

After the game has been running for awhile and there are a lot of players, the CTLD menu stops responding. Getting stuck on the last menu item. Weather it's picking up or dropping troops, crates, etc. doesn't matter. The last menu item doesn't work after awhile.

Sometimes restarting your client will fix it for awhile.. but tonight, no matter what I did.. the menu stopped working and would not start again until the server was restarted.

Any ideas?

Screen_151211_214013.jpg

We keep losing the ability to interact with the CTLD menu.

After the game has been running for awhile and there are a lot of players, the CTLD menu stops responding. Getting stuck on the last menu item. Weather it's picking up or dropping troops, crates, etc. doesn't matter. The last menu item doesn't work after awhile.

Sometimes restarting your client will fix it for awhile.. but tonight, no matter what I did.. the menu stopped working and would not start again until the server was restarted.

Any ideas?

Hmm I've seen this once in testing with a different script but its when I was messing around with the DAWS Save mission.

Could you give me some more info to help me diagnose? As much as possible really helps!

DCS Version

Number of Players

CTLD Version

MIST Version

Mission File (PM me if you dont want it here)

Any other scripts running in the mission

Thanks for reporting! :)

Has anyone else seen this?

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

I am having trouble getting the crate counting function to work:

ctld.cratesInZone(_zone, _flagNumber)

I used the following instructions to set it up:

"A crate drop zone can be added to any zone by adding a Trigger Once with a Time More set to any time after the CTLD script has been loaded and a DO SCRIPT action of ctld.cratesInZone("crateZone",1)

Where "crateZone" is the name of a Trigger Zone added using the mission editor, and 1 is the number of the flag where the current number of crates in the zone will be stored."

While experimenting with this, I discovered a few other things that might be related.

First, no matter what weight I use when having CTLD generate crates, what I see for a single crate is the following:

crate.jpg

These objects do not show as crates in the F6 CTLD menu. In fact, the F6 option is not available at all. As a result of this, I switched over to using the MIST function to generate crates instead of the CTLD function. These crates are of the slingload type and do show up in the F6 menu. After selecting a crate, smoke will appear over it and you can pick it up and move it with a Huey.

I have tried two ways to get a crate count. In the first, I set up a crate zone that the Huey would drop crates into. These dropped crates, apparently, did not get counted. Next, I created the crate zone right where the crates first appear when they get spawned. Even these crates did not appear to get counted. Basically, I had the trigger set to give a message when the count reached either 1 or 2 crates depending on the test.

I can post a simple mission, but before I do, there might already be two problems. First, is CTLD properly generating crates? Given the crate shape being used, and the fact that no F6 menu is being generated, leads me to believe I'm using CTLD incorrectly to generate crates. I used the code posted above in this thread. Second, it could be that crates generated by MIST might not be counted by the CTLD function. However, given that these do show up as crates in the CTLD F6 menu, it appears that CTLD does in fact register them as crates. They're just not being counted by the crate count function.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by pdmarsh

I am having trouble getting the crate counting function to work:

ctld.cratesInZone(_zone, _flagNumber)

I used the following instructions to set it up:

"A crate drop zone can be added to any zone by adding a Trigger Once with a Time More set to any time after the CTLD script has been loaded and a DO SCRIPT action of ctld.cratesInZone("crateZone",1)

Where "crateZone" is the name of a Trigger Zone added using the mission editor, and 1 is the number of the flag where the current number of crates in the zone will be stored."

While experimenting with this, I discovered a few other things that might be related.

First, no matter what weight I use when having CTLD generate crates, what I see for a single crate is the following

These objects do not show as crates in the F6 CTLD menu. In fact, the F6 option is not available at all. As a result of this, I switched over to using the MIST function to generate crates instead of the CTLD function. These crates are of the slingload type and do show up in the F6 menu. After selecting a crate, smoke will appear over it and you can pick it up and move it with a Huey.

I have tried two ways to get a crate count. In the first, I set up a crate zone that the Huey would drop crates into. These dropped crates, apparently, did not get counted. Next, I created the crate zone right where the crates first appear when they get spawned. Even these crates did not appear to get counted. Basically, I had the trigger set to give a message when the count reached either 1 or 2 crates depending on the test.

I can post a simple mission, but before I do, there might already be two problems. First, is CTLD properly generating crates? Given the crate shape being used, and the fact that no F6 menu is being generated, leads me to believe I'm using CTLD incorrectly to generate crates. I used the code posted above in this thread. Second, it could be that crates generated by MIST might not be counted by the CTLD function. However, given that these do show up as crates in the CTLD F6 menu, it appears that CTLD does in fact register them as crates. They're just not being counted by the crate count function.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Not at my PC at the moment but CTLD has two modes. By default CTLD uses simulated sling loads instead of real crates as there are some stability issues but real crates can be enabled by changing ctld.slingLoad = true (https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L33)

The real crates will appear on F6, simulated crates (the object you're seeing) have to be loaded by hovering above the crate.

Either mode should work with count in zone.

Try changing the ctld.slingLoad to true and let me know if its still not working :)

Im currently troubleshooting the menu not responding. If you ask for anything there is no response. Its a fairly large mission and several scripts running. I will try to get some reproducabilty firdt though.

Hmm I've seen this once in testing with a different script but its when I was messing around with the DAWS Save mission.

Could you give me some more info to help me diagnose? As much as possible really helps!

DCS Version

Number of Players

CTLD Version

MIST Version

Mission File (PM me if you dont want it here)

Any other scripts running in the mission

Thanks for reporting! :)

Has anyone else seen this?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Im currently troubleshooting the menu not responding. If you ask for anything there is no response. Its a fairly large mission and several scripts running. I will try to get some reproducabilty firdt though.

Thanks Pikey!

The last major change was adding another menu level on F10 to CTLD for group pickup from a zone. Might be that DCS doesn't like the extra level.

I'll try and get round to making a reorganised menu today with a maximum depth of 3 instead of 4.

Try changing the ctld.slingLoad to true and let me know if its still not working :)

First, I want to say how much I appreciate your responsiveness with supporting CTLD. It is very much appreciated.

I did change ctld.slingLoad to "true" and the sling load style crates did appear. I wasn't sure what the difference between real and simulated loads would be, but I understand better now. I did try hovering over one of the simulated crates and nothing seemed to happen, but maybe I wasn't in position or didn't stay long enough. In simulation mode, should you get a message that the crate is hooked and does the crate then disappear, or something along those lines?

In any case, I still can't get the crate count function to work. I have attached my test mission (for DCSW 1.5). If you do have look, use time acceleration to get that C-130 to land quicker! :sleep:

Thanks again,

Paul

Cargo Test Mission 3.miz

First, I want to say how much I appreciate your responsiveness with supporting CTLD. It is very much appreciated.

I did change ctld.slingLoad to "true" and the sling load style crates did appear. I wasn't sure what the difference between real and simulated loads would be, but I understand better now. I did try hovering over one of the simulated crates and nothing seemed to happen, but maybe I wasn't in position or didn't stay long enough. In simulation mode, should you get a message that the crate is hooked and does the crate then disappear, or something along those lines?

In any case, I still can't get the crate count function to work. I have attached my test mission (for DCSW 1.5). If you do have look, use time acceleration to get that C-130 to land quicker! :sleep:

Thanks again,

Paul

Sorry the snippet I gave you was missing the crucial last step...!

Try this:

local _unit = Unit.getByName("Cargo1") -- Pilot Name of C-130
local _point = _unit:getPoint()
local _country = _unit:getCountry()

local _crateOne = { weight = 500, desc = "HMMWV - TOW", unit = "M1045 HMMWV TOW", side = 2 }

ctld.spawnCrateStatic(_country, mist.getNextUnitId(),{x=_point.x-20, y=_point.y,z=_point.z-20},"Spawned Crate #1", _crateOne.weight)

if _side == 1 then
   ctld.spawnedCratesRED["Spawned Crate #1"] = _crateOne
else
   ctld.spawnedCratesBLUE["Spawned Crate #1"] = _crateOne
end

local _crateTwo =  { weight = 505, desc = "HMMWV - MG", unit = "M1043 HMMWV Armament", side = 2 }
ctld.spawnCrateStatic(_country, mist.getNextUnitId(),{x=_point.x-40, y=_point.y,z=_point.z-40},"Spawned Crate #2", _crateTwo.weight)

if _side == 1 then
   ctld.spawnedCratesRED["Spawned Crate #2"] = _crateTwo
else
   ctld.spawnedCratesBLUE["Spawned Crate #2"] = _crateTwo
end

The last step is actually storing the spawned crate so functions like countInZone can find it.

What I'll try and do as I've got an hour free is do a new release with a nice easy to use function for you so its a much simpler call as I really like your idea!

Attached is also a working sample of your mission

If you want to see how the simulated sling load works, check the first post of this whole thread. One of the videos shows me loading a crate.

Cargo Test Mission 3.miz

Worked fine this testing round for the menu, i wonder if this is relating to amount of players in MP. Testing conditions were dedicated server +1 client.

Hmm never had an issue before with 25 or so guys using it. Very odd. I'll revert the menu structure back to how it used to be as a precaution for this release. If there are no more issues than I guess it was that or it was solved in the latest patch for 1.5

Thanks for testing Pikey! :)

New version of the CTLD Script v.1.43 - 1.5 and 1.2 Compatible!

Make sure you have the new MIST 4.0.57 !

Change log:

• Added Mission editor function ctld.spawnCrateAtZone
  • Added Mission editor function ctld.spawnCrateAtPoint
  • Changed menu structure to older style (maximum 3 levels down) to try to fix possible bug

Please see Readme and Github for latest code and how to use

Link:https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD

As always, please let me know if you have any issues or suggestions!

Video of Crate Spawning when a C-130 Lands (Thanks to pdmarsh)

Cargo Spawn Test (1).miz

Edited by Ciribob

Video of Crate Spawning when a C-130 Lands (Thanks to pdmarsh)

I flew the revised test mission without any alteration and, while most things appear to be working, I am not getting any indication at all that I am hovering over either of the dropped crates. The text box that says crates are nearby never comes up. Am I missing a setting in DCS possibly?

Thanks,

Paul

I flew the revised test mission without any alteration and, while most things appear to be working, I am not getting any indication at all that I am hovering over either of the dropped crates. The text box that says crates are nearby never comes up. Am I missing a setting in DCS possibly?

Thanks,

Paul

Your original one or my edit? Either way, check that the Pilot Name of the huey is helicargo1 or you wont be able to interact with the crates. I edited it when I was testing for the video above but I may have uploaded an earlier one with your original pilot name.

The pilot names are listed under ctld.transportPilotNames (you can edit it and add your own names if you wish).

If you're using real crates instead of simulated, and your pilot name is modified as above, you'll still have to hook as normal using the F6 menu.

Edit: Yup uploaded the wrong one. The pilot name change wasn't in it. I've updated the mission. Sorry not doing well today! :)

Edited by Ciribob

Your original one or my edit? Either way, check that the Pilot Name of the huey is helicargo1 or you wont be able to interact with the crates.

Edit: Yup uploaded the wrong one. The pilot name change wasn't in it. I've updated the mission. Sorry not doing well today! :)

Sweet success! :thumbup: You nailed it, Ciribob--I didn't have the pilot name correct. No need to apologize whatsoever. I'm sorry that I didn't catch it.

This opens up a world of possibilities for missions.

Thanks again,

Paul

Glad its working!

I'm going to do an update later in the week that lets helicopters help build FOBs as well as the C-130.

Currently you need 3 large crates from a C-130 (although its configurable) to build a FOB so i'm going to make it that so helicopters can transport 3 small crates which equals one large crate.

FOBs can then be built by a mixture of large and small crates. If just small crates are used and the number of crates required for a FOB is left at a default then it would require 9 small Crates to build (3 * 3 ). You need to be pretty dedicated to build a FOB, or have lots of helicopters, but its worth it!

Does that sound ok?

New version of the CTLD Script v.1.44 - 1.5 and 1.2 Compatible!

Make sure you have the new MIST 4.0.57 !

Change log:

• Added Ability to build a FOB from large and small FOB Crates

There are now two types of FOB crate, large and small. Large FOB Crates can only be loaded and dropped by large transport aircraft like the C-130

Small FOB crates can be loaded and dropped by helicopters.

A FOB will require 3 Large FOB Crates by Default and 3 Small FOB crates equal ONE large FOB Crate.

To build a FOB entirely by helicopter required 9 Small FOB Crates by default.

Large and Small FOB crates can be mixed to build a FOB.

I.e. A large aircraft drops 1 Large FOB Crate. The FOB will then require 2 more Large FOB crates or 6 small FOB crates to build.

FOBs can be used by transport aircraft to grab more troops or for loading cargo. FOBS always spawn with a radio beacon so they can be navigated to more easily.

Sorry for so many updates in quick succession, this'll be it for a while unless there's a bug :)

Please see Readme and Github for latest code and how to use

Link:https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD

Video of FOB building (I cheat and spawn 8 crates) as well as loading troops and showing the navigation to the FOB

test-fob.miz

Edited by Ciribob

Geez, Ciribob, you're a freakin' machine! Nice going getting another release out so quickly, it's been hard to keep up with you. This FOB idea sounds interesting, thanks again for all your hard work on this, it is greatly appreciated!!:thumbup:

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

Can you make the crate slinging hover requirements a changeable option without having to go through thousands of lines of LUA?

So instead of having to hover for 10 seconds, it can be easily set to require more or less at the mission creator's discretion. Same for hover height, and area around the crate.

If possible, a way to sling cargo while on the ground via the F10 radio menu would be nice too.

Can you make the crate slinging hover requirements a changeable option without having to go through thousands of lines of LUA?

So instead of having to hover for 10 seconds, it can be easily set to require more or less at the mission creator's discretion. Same for hover height, and area around the crate.

If possible, a way to sling cargo while on the ground via the F10 radio menu would be nice too.

I can make the hover, min and max height, and distance from the crate into variables at the top quite easily.

I don't really want to add a load crate via F10 without hovering as its good control practice! :) but I will have a look to see how hard it would be.

In the meantime, the only place this is all done is in the checkHover function:

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L1958

You can find all the numbers here for easily changing everything you want.

Distance: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L1976

Min and Max height:

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L1984

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L2016

Hover Time: https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-CTLD/blob/master/CTLD.lua#L1989

I won't get round to this for a few days but with the info above you should be able to do it yourself.

Apologies for the 1000's of lines...