Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

did I miss something, or over the last few days did this server change to spawning aircraft with empty fuel tanks? Or perhaps the fuel fill rate is a lot lower? As it was taking FOREVER to fill a tank on the tarmac when I played 12 hrs ago. I decided to play in 104th as I didn't have all night... Maybe something is broken?

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

FC3 aircraft have been set to spawn with 0 fuel to inhibit "air quake" gameplay and to encourage the preservation of life and your aircraft each sortie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

They weren't doing this a week ago, as far as I recall, and the server was functioning fairly well no?

For the server to force people to sit on the tarmac in a completely passive way seems unnecessary, I saw at least 4 other pilots in hangars, just waiting. Moving FC3 aircraft to airstrips further from bullseye would be a better way to reduce the number of them over bullseye, not an enforced, passive wait.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

I think the change is good. Slows the player down to a more realistic manner. Imagine having to wait 16 minutes for your INS to align in the m2k :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

did I miss something, or over the last few days did this server change to spawning aircraft with empty fuel tanks? Or perhaps the fuel fill rate is a lot lower? As it was taking FOREVER to fill a tank on the tarmac when I played 12 hrs ago. I decided to play in 104th as I didn't have all night... Maybe something is broken?

The F15/MiG29 are spawning with 0% fuel and the Su27 with 30%.

The refuel time to full is about 5min on F15/Su27 and lower on MiG29 so that's far from forever.

The goal is, indeed, to reduce the air quaking that is happening on the server by giving the same death penalty to FC3 aircrafts than the other aircrafts have by having to properly restart.

FC3 fighters are, for now, ones of the most dangerous and fast planes in DCS without real death penalty as the restart is almost instant.

This will hopefully make people care a bit more about their life / fuel / ammo like IRL or make them migrate to a server more dedicated to air quaking.

Even if a totally legit way of approaching DCS, I fell like air quaking is removing too much gameplay for other players like doing missions, rescues, delivery without having to worry about the same players coming back in AB with full compliment of missiles, 2 min after being killed.

This change is still new so I appreciate feedbacks.

It can be rough in the short term but I think this will help the pacing in the long term and will reduce some video game behaviors like exessive missile spam, suicide runs, after burning all the time.....

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

True that INS alignment and whatnot takes a long time, it's just frustrating being so passive. Do the external tanks fill simultaneously?

It's just that I was introducing a relatively new player to DCS online play and we spent some time figuring out why the engines wouldn't start (no fuel, or fuel expended on start as we didn't know about the wait). Perhaps a player message/announce that refueling takes approx x minutes when they request ground services would help.

I guess as a server that is generally great for newer players I found it surprising that this handicap was built in, as it made the whole thing a lot more confusing and tested our patience. I would still urge a different way to introduce the delay; ie farther take-off locations.

Unfortunately due to the location of the mission there aren't any other airbases that fighters can be moved to. At the moment they're already at the furthest airstrips possible (except mig-29 but their tanks are tiny).

External tanks are put onto the plane fully fuelled, but are done as part of the rearm process instead of the refuel one. If waiting 5 minutes is that much of an issue then in the f-15/mig-29 you can reduce the wait by only half filling the tanks and bringing externals, because the externals will SLOWLY drain into your main tanks whilst taxiing and in flight, but you'll have a lot less fuel and therefore less flight time so it's a trade off. Also nothing stopping you only taking 40% fuel and just not using the afterburner :lol: that's the trade off we're taking about, now fc3 pilots have to plan their sortie a little bit just like the DCS module pilots, and encouraging players new and veteran alike to plan their flight and such is a good thing :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F15/MiG29 are spawning with 0% fuel and the Su27 with 30%.

The refuel time to full is about 5min on F15/Su27 and lower on MiG29 so that's far from forever.

The goal is, indeed, to reduce the air quaking that is happening on the server by giving the same death penalty to FC3 aircrafts than the other aircrafts have by having to properly restart.

FC3 fighters are, for now, ones of the most dangerous and fast planes in DCS without real death penalty as the restart is almost instant.

How about Mirage, guys don't bother aligning and just spool up and fly out in under a minute. If you want to align you can refuel why doing so.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Yeah, Mirages are quite fast to spool up if you skip the alignment. Then, on the other hand it doesn't take nearly as long to fuel up the Mirage compared to FC3 fighters.

Also i noticed that the quick INS align option is available on Open Conflict, which will completely skip INS having to align if the player also has it set, not sure if this is intentional or not.

After all i wouldn't look so hard at the Mirage, being outranged by every other 4th gen figher in the game.

If you don't align you will have incorrect heading and reference information for the all important BRA calls from awacs. Taking a mirage up against a 4th gen fighter without a proper alignment and no awacs is like taking an L39 up vs Su27

How about Mirage, guys don't bother aligning and just spool up and fly out in under a minute. If you want to align you can refuel why doing so.

I don't want to start a fighter aircraft debate.

The goal is not to discourage people from using one or another planes, it's to decrease the air quaking and try to have some players care more about dying, fuel consumption and ammo conservation.

However, the Mirage is of course not even close in term of reach, range and destructive power from the F15/Su27.

I see the mirage as an interceptor much like the mig29 and right now, the mig29 refuel time to full is about 3min.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

If you don't align you will have incorrect heading and reference information for the all important BRA calls from awacs. Taking a mirage up against a 4th gen fighter without a proper alignment and no awacs is like taking an L39 up vs Su27

But people still do it because combining both blobs in the sky (model enlargement) and flying low in the valleys works too effectively. Starting with no fuel has zero impact on a Mirage pilot that wants to hit INS class 4, but it slows any needless quaking.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

But people still do it because combining both blobs in the sky (model enlargement) and flying low in the valleys works too effectively. Starting with no fuel has zero impact on a Mirage pilot that wants to hit INS class 4, but it slows any needless quaking.

The model enlargement is setup by the server and the same for everyone except if ED broke something.

Also, if the mirage 2000 becomes the new air quaking tool, it will suffer the same fate as the FC3 aircrafts.

It's an online server ; everything is constantly changing.

And if ED gives server owners more powers like limiting the number you can equip of a missile type or allowing me to place field airports like I can FARP or if I ever have the courage to code my own AWACS (and thus control the report), I will update the server with those.

Other solutions I've thought about for this airquake problem and you might love more:

• Removing the most powerful air to air missiles from the game
  • Removing all air to air missiles
  • Spawning the most powerful fighters in the air so I can control the distance from conflict zone
    • Maybe with limited external fuel
    • Surely with limited firepower so I can control the danger (like having only 2 AIM120C)
    • The fighter would have to land to rearm to its most powerful state

[*]

[*]Combining on ground no fuel slots and in air but limited firepower slots for the most dangerous fighters

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I think finding a way to penalize not landing the plane when you haven't suffered damage or run out of fuel and instead simply hit the ESC key might be a strategy. It would be great if you could pull data that compares take-offs, planes destroyed in combat, and landings. I'll bet you'd notice an interesting number of planes that don't take any damage, but never RTB.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

I think finding a way to penalize not landing the plane when you haven't suffered damage or run out of fuel and instead simply hit the ESC key might be a strategy.

I don't know what it would bring ; having to restart /refuel your plane when you die / spectator respawn is already there.

I am trying to keep a positive approach to the game design and use the reward card more than the penalize card.

I just feel the penalty card should be used when the action affects others in a bad way like team kills or, recently the increasing air quaking.

And then, the penalty should be proportionate.

People flies in different manner and as long as it doesn't ruin your fun I don't see why I should add extra penalty.

I am trying to be tolerant and open minded ; there is not only one way to enjoy "correctly" this game.

For your particular post, I don't see why not bringing its plane home should be punished more than dying from damage but I can see how takeoff/landing ratio can be a stats your are proud to keep around 1.

That's how I try to approach problem anyways in the limit of what I can do from the server scripts :thumbup:

For the fighter, I might try to implement the in combo (ground slot / limited fuel) or (air slots / limited armament) like I proposed here

Why do you guys think?

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

The model enlargement is setup by the server and the same for everyone except if ED broke something.

Also, if the mirage 2000 becomes the new air quaking tool, it will suffer the same fate as the FC3 aircrafts.

It's an online server ; everything is constantly changing.

And if ED gives server owners more powers like limiting the number you can equip of a missile type or allowing me to place field airports like I can FARP or if I ever have the courage to code my own AWACS (and thus control the report), I will update the server with those.

Other solutions I've thought about for this airquake problem and you might love more:

• Removing the most powerful air to air missiles from the game
  • Removing all air to air missiles
  • Spawning the most powerful fighters in the air so I can control the distance from conflict zone
    • Maybe with limited external fuel
    • Surely with limited firepower so I can control the danger (like having only 2 AIM120C)
    • The fighter would have to land to rearm to its most powerful state

[*]

[*]Combining on ground no fuel slots and in air but limited firepower slots for the most dangerous fighters

Avoiding smaapraming (which is one of the most common ways of air quaking) would be awesome. Bring on the semi actives bro!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Alis Aquilae Aut Pax Aut Bellum"

Veritech's DCS YouTube Channel