1/48 Mig-21 Model

whiteladder

Nice pre-shading technique. Never seen that approach to masking. Awesome job! :)

Agreed, on all counts. I found the camo mask material interesting as well.

I used to dabble with models, many moons ago, but never achieved that quality with military stuff.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Whoaw, that's well done ?

which was the brand you used ? Is the model quality good ? I'm looking forward for a 1/48 Mig-21 too. :)

Its the academy Kit, its pretty good and has a nice fit mostly. It has a couple of down sides, the forward fuselage is a separate piece and needs a bit of sanding to get a good fit with the rear, and front canopy piece has the top part of the cockpit moulding which doesn`t fit great.

The eduard Mig is a much better kit.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/MiG-21PF-1-48-1-2.html?cur=1&force_sid=e957617ef3cfcbd0a435e761b2894b1f&listtype=search&searchparam=mig%2021

Quick tip what ever kit you buy make sure you put loads of lead shot in the nose, Model Mig 21 are notorious tails sitters, because of the length fuselage behind the main wheels.

Edited by whiteladder

Nice pre-shading technique. Never seen that approach to masking. Awesome job! :)

I used that technique all the time. This way you can control soft or hard edges and there's a lower risk for paint to crawl under the masking tape ruining your finish

Btw, Whiteladder...awesome job on that model!!

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I used that technique all the time. This way you can control soft or hard edges and there's a lower risk for paint to crawl under the masking tape ruining your finish

Btw, Whiteladder...awesome job on that model!!

7rooper Thanks for the reply. What is model making like in Colombia? Do you have any decent model shops, here in the UK more and more of our local shops have closed and gone online which is a shame. I would have to travel into London these days to find a good one.

10/10 great work. May I suggest having the stand in grains and some plantations or at least a runway?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

7rooper Thanks for the reply. What is model making like in Colombia? Do you have any decent model shops, here in the UK more and more of our local shops have closed and gone online which is a shame. I would have to travel into London these days to find a good one.

Here in the US, at least where I live, brick and mortar hobby shops are also disappearing. It is a shame.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Very nice job! The way you pre shaded it made it look like a very experienced craft.

Makes me want to finish my Mil 28, P-61 Black Widow, XB 70, T-28 and King Tiger tanks. Currently working on the Tiger on and off.

Too many hobbies, too little time.

Its true, Work, family... there`s never enough time.

We don`t appreciate what we have until its gone, we used to have 3 in the town where I live, all gone now.

Too true. I loved going to the hobby shop back when I was a kid for good report cards and getting one of those little Snap-Tites. I got an A-6 Intruder, Spitfire, B-47, and MiG-37 I need to actually do up.

I reckon they won't completely go away as there's always going to be an enthusiast demand for certain things. As nice as online purchases are, some things are better in store and in person. But damned if it isn't inconveniencing.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!