Dynamic Campaign Engine

MBot

Not sure if it's bug or a feature. But when tasked with the destruction of key assets of the smaller fields, namely Lincoln and Pahute, MiG-15s that were based there never took off to respond. Neither when our package was inbound, nor when it started raining bombs. Yes, some of them were damaged on the ground, but few survivors could at least try.

Lincoln was so far away from everything that all 'Red' CAP flights never even bothered to reach it. Thus, we had the opportunity to bomb it out of existence without any counter whatsoever, apart from SAMs and AAAs.

Since you mention CAP, I assume you are already at a stage where you have destroyed several of the EWR sites. As such, it is possible the airfields are out of the remaining EWR coverage and the interceptors receive no warning to launch*.

About one third of the aircraft at Lincoln and Pahute is set to ground alert intercept duty and will launch if EWR detects targets. But even this is variable and you might get a TOT where all aircraft are down to maintenance (even though this should be quite rare).

*I get that interceptors could still launch even without a working GCI system once aircraft are directly over their airfield. In DCE, the intercept system is bound to ground units set with the EWR task. Unfortunately, in DCS this EWR task can only be assigned to the two Russian long range radar unit types. If this task could also be assigned to other unit types, for example an infantry unit with only short range visual detection, it could be set up that interceptors can launch when enemy aircraft are spotted directly over their base.

Since you mention CAP, I assume you are already at a stage where you have destroyed several of the EWR sites.

Thanks MBot. That explains it. So far only one EWR radar was out. Lincoln is quite far away from everything, so it could be that there's no coverage whatsoever. I flew another mission, this time on Pahute and MiG-15s did show some action.

Fair point about EWR task. Could potentially make sense to determine a "visual" zone over the airfield (installation) that would trigger GAI flights. Not that it would be extremely useful at that point, but I suppose is in-line with real-life scenario.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

One other thing to mention. Not sure if bug or feature. After airfield declared destroyed, GAI flights are still taking off, even several missions after. Creech is one example. It still makes sense, as runway is not damaged and planes exist. However it would be more logical to have them rebased to operational airfields.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

One other thing to mention. Not sure if bug or feature. After airfield declared destroyed, GAI flights are still taking off, even several missions after. Creech is one example. It still makes sense, as runway is not damaged and planes exist. However it would be more logical to have them rebased to operational airfields.

Thanks, it is a bug. Already fixed in my development version.

M-Bot,

I tried running this campaign on my server machine with a 2nd valid NTTR license. When I run the campaign on the server I can only get the F-5E external view. I made the the correct folders in the Mods folder that are required. I am just not to keen on having to buy separate modules to run this campaign. I will run it on my local flying machine. Do you know a work around for this? Having to buy another license just to run a NTTR server is irritating. I would think that ED would have come up with a server exe only by now but no such luck.

On regular missions I can run a server all day with no issue.

M-Bot,

I tried running this campaign on my server machine with a 2nd valid NTTR license. When I run the campaign on the server I can only get the F-5E external view. I made the the correct folders in the Mods folder that are required. I am just not to keen on having to buy separate modules to run this campaign. I will run it on my local flying machine. Do you know a work around for this? Having to buy another license just to run a NTTR server is irritating. I would think that ED would have come up with a server exe only by now but no such luck.

On regular missions I can run a server all day with no issue.

I am not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that you can run the campaign on a server without a F-5 license, but you cannot enter the cockpit of a F-5? Because I would fully expect this to be the case. To play an aircraft you need to have a license.

This should not stop you from hosting the campaign on your server regardless. Everyone with a license (including your primary gaming computer) can join and play. Or am I missing something?

Finally, here is the MiG-21 version of the campaign ready for public beta testing. Thank you for your feedback.

This is a mirrored campaign with the same setup: USAF attacking and WP defending. As such, this is mostly an interceptor campaign for the MiG-21. So do not expect the same variety of tasks as with the Tiger.

Sorry for the unimaginative name, but I wanted it to be clear that this and Desert Tiger 76 are siblings. I do quite like the Desert Tiger name, a shame that the MiG-21 doesn't have a cooler nickname :)

Next task is to update Desert Tiger to the new code base (5 minutes job) and start retesting (not quite 5 minutes).

Edited by MBot

EDITED

Can we have a test version with Caucasus so that we dont need two NTTR licvenses if we test MP as Client-server rather than hosting from our local machine?

I am not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that you can run the campaign on a server without a F-5 license, but you cannot enter the cockpit of a F-5? Because I would fully expect this to be the case. To play an aircraft you need to have a license.

This should not stop you from hosting the campaign on your server regardless. Everyone with a license (including your primary gaming computer) can join and play. Or am I missing something?

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Next task is to update Desert Tiger to the new code base (5 minutes job) and start retesting (not quite 5 minutes).

I've progressed reasonably far in the initial release version. Do you think the update will be reverse-compatible with current progress?

I've progressed reasonably far in the initial release version. Do you think the update will be reverse-compatible with current progress?

Unfortunately the new version wont be compatible with current progress. Since the the changes and fixes are not dramatic, I suggest you will continue with your current campaign. It will be worthwhile to have someone exploring the late-game.

And if i instantly quit the mission twice, i win!

This is a curious issue, as so far I have only seen someone else having it once. Can you describe exactly under what circumstances it happened? Which mission number were you at. Did you end the mission within seconds after start? The game needs to run for a second or two to correctly set the mission score.